Canadian Eneloop sources

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure I understand this. For long runtime alkaline is the worst choice. Unless it's a tv remote. But then I don't want it wrecked so I still use nimh. Nimh is not a green option, it's better than alkaline in every single measurable way. Alkaline has no advantages. Except extremely low draw devices. But still not worth the leaking
There is one advantage - if you wanna build a stock of cells for power outage/grid down prepping, you can do that cheaper with alkalines, and you won't have to worry at all about self-discharge. And, for what it's worth, I've never heard of Panasonic alkalines leaking. I've got some of those stocked - they have 'em at Dollarama for cheap. I'd like to eventually have my case fully stocked with Eneloops, though (or, in my case, rewraps thereof). Self-discharge shouldn't really be a problem with those.

I have storacells full of alkalines. I can keep going and going and going so to speak.
With how much that plastic costs, no wonder you don't wanna load 'em up with NiMH :yellowlaugh:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one advantage - if you wanna build a stock of cells for power outage/grid down prepping, you can do that cheaper with alkalines, and you won't have to worry at all about self-discharge. And, for what it's worth, I've never heard of Panasonic alkalines leaking. I've got some of those stocked - they have 'em at Dollarama for cheap. I'd like to eventually have my case fully stocked with Eneloops, though (or, in my case, rewraps thereof). Self-discharge shouldn't really be a problem with those.

With how much that plastic costs, no wonder you don't wanna load 'em up with NiMH :yellowlaugh:
I guess so. Im not a prepper so I don't worry about these things. I think if something bad were to happen, I have bigger issues than AA batteries. But to each their own. In that case I would still buy lithium primaries on sale and store them, along with C and D adapters if needed.
I've had Panasonic cells from dollar store leak. They are better than Duracell though. I've found rayovac the most reliable. But still don't use them. It's just not worth it.

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
I guess so. Im not a prepper so I don't worry about these things. I think if something bad were to happen, I have bigger issues than AA batteries. But to each their own. In that case I would still buy lithium primaries on sale and store them, along with C and D adapters if needed.
I've had Panasonic cells from dollar store leak. They are better than Duracell though. I've found rayovac the most reliable. But still don't use them. It's just not worth it.
Out of curiosity - did they leak in storage, or in a device?

Rayovacs being a cut above the rest makes sense. Made in America leaves less room for cutting corners, as with made in Japan, made in Belgium, etc. if memory serves, though I can't remember what the exact reason was. I think labour laws were part of it. Which Rayovacs did you have? The blue and silver, red and white, or black and grey ones?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity - did they leak in storage, or in a device?

Rayovacs being a cut above the rest makes sense. Made in America leaves less room for cutting corners, as with made in Japan, made in Belgium, etc. if memory serves, though I can't remember what the exact reason was. I think labour laws were part of it. Which Rayovacs did you have? The blue and silver, red and white, or black and grey ones?
ive had them leak in device and even just opened a brand new 4 pc box of AAA and 2 had leaked and it was all a rusty mess. These were energizer industrial I believe.
Black and grey Rayovacs are the ones I've used which seem to hold up the best.
I miss the cat ones when I was a kid. They were red and looked cool

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit younger but I can recall Black Cat batteries. Energizer or better yet Duracell was all the rage by the time I was using batteries then Energizer Lithium Photo happened and it was like the pink bunny ate a can of Popeye spinach. Batteries on steroids so to speak.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Black Cats are still out there. They're just not that common at Brick & Mortar stores anymore.

Poppy

Flashaholic
For anything of importance and long runtime I use alkalines and 1.7v Lithiums when I can. Nimh is just a green option for nonessential lights and gear or if I don't want to worry about a leak.
I use alkalines in my AAA remotes, but otherwise lean towards NiMH cells in my AA devices.
I have 13 left of this 60 pack of AAA blue silver rayovacs. Just this morning I cleaned a spring contact of a remote with vinegar. Guaranteed until 2030. SO... they do fail.

I might break down and buy some lithiums, but in comparison they are so costly.
1702346671758.png

To the OP, I imagine the cost differential between the US and Canada is because you get *free* healthcare.

IE... nothing is free.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't knock Canadian citizenship. I would gladly swap being American to be Canadian. Oh and I have the high costs of buying lights from Canada and paying high shipping and exchange fees.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use alkalines in my AAA remotes, but otherwise lean towards NiMH cells in my AA devices.
I have 13 left of this 60 pack of AAA blue silver rayovacs. Just this morning I cleaned a spring contact of a remote with vinegar. Guaranteed until 2030. SO... they do fail.

I might break down and buy some lithiums, but in comparison they are so costly.
View attachment 54028

To the OP, I imagine the cost differential between the US and Canada is because you get *free* healthcare.

IE... nothing is free.
Healthcare is covered by taxes. Has nothing to do with the price of goods

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast

I noticed the Panasonic AAs at Dollarama...1100mAh. I guess lower capacity can have its benefits, they are still out there.

Dave

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the Panasonic AAs at Dollarama...1100mAh. I guess lower capacity can have its benefits, they are still out there.

Dave
Those would be the black and blue ones - carbon zinc, right? I'm talkin' about the alkaline plus power, gold and red wrapper with black label. Those do better.

1702389675125.png

Alkaline in red, ZnC in blue. Reference: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php

After reading some posts here and double-checking the internet, it looks like these are not immune to leaking either. EEVblog got three to leak in storage... and not a single Duracell, amusingly. I guess alkalines can just leak these days, period.

Anecdotally, pops works with Duracell Procell Intense professionally and has never had one leak, while I've seen some others talk about how they seem to do nothing but leak... so I suppose it really just comes down to luck of the draw in the end. And maybe batch quality variance.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
These further my latest theory that carbon zincs are better in that you just replace them once they start curving down instead of having an alkaline slowly die on you with days of dim light.

Carbon Zinc with an LED may be about equal to an incan with alkaline in run time.

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
These further my latest theory that carbon zincs are better in that you just replace them once they start curving down instead of having an alkaline slowly die on you with days of dim light.
That doesn't track - you can see on the chart that alkaline takes longer to drop below any given voltage threshold than ZnC, at any drain rate. The discharge curves for ZnC are completely below alkaline for every rate. So you will still get better runtime out of alkaline no matter where you place your "it's too dim" cut-off point.

It would be funny if ZnC was secretly better than alkaline all along, but I don't think that's the case here. I think the main advantage ZnC has is that it's more tolerant of temperature extremes, if memory serves. And weight, I suppose.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is lighter and costs less. I pay USD 1$ apiece and alkaline is a lot more sometimes as much or more than a Surefire CR123.

Oddly enough if it wasn't for sales tax Panasonic D batteries would be the same cost as Panasonic D Carbon Zinc.

But yeah if I read that chart right it looks like blue quickly drops down into nothingness whilst red drags on for a long while.

I'd like to see Carbon Zinc versus Lithium for say AA sized batteries.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I refer to are AA NiMH, 2-packs, didn't catch the price, probably $3.50-$4.00 per
pack. Not sure this affects you, some sort of Ont. gov't "environmental" charge is being tacked on to LED bulbs and batteries etc. at these stores (and Dollar Tree), amounts to an additional tax.

Dave
Those would be the black and blue ones - carbon zinc, right? I'm talkin' about the alkaline plus power, gold and red wrapper with black label. Those do better.

Last edited: