Why no ENELOOP LITE in US market

sceva

Newly Enlightened
Just curious; If the ENELOOP LITEs are so good for low drain and things like DECT Phones why doesn't Panasonic market them in the US? You can get Eneloop, Eneloop Pro but not LITE from Amazon and US sellers. Ebay has Eneloop Lites but the come from Germany ( HUGE shipping charges to the US), Britain (Shipping not as bad as Germany but still a lot) or Lithuania ( Reasonable shipping but LONG ship times)

fulee9999

Enlightened
I'm not sure I fully understand what these batteries are for, or rather what is the reason they are different to the normal eneloops.
I see they are for wireless landline phones, but do those use that much battery...? I would figure for an average person who still has a landline these batteries would just sit in there displaying the time on the phone for weeks, and then recharged, for someone who uses this wireless house phone then they would just recharge it every so often, maybe even daily, but even then you have more than two thousand charge cycles, that would be years... so what gives?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see they are for wireless landline phones, but do those use that much battery...? I would figure for an average person who still has a landline these batteries would just sit in there displaying the time on the phone for weeks, and then recharged, for someone who uses this wireless house phone then they would just recharge it every so often, maybe even daily, but even then you have more than two thousand charge cycles, that would be years... so what gives?

I think solar lamps more often than not use LiFePO4 these days, and cells like Eneloop Lite, low capacity high cycle, of which there are many brands and labels, are precisely and uniquely for wireless phones.

fulee9999 has misrepresented how most use these phones. They should use them that way, but no one does. No one talks on the phone anymore all the time, but even when they did, anyone that ever had a dead handset from depleted batteries, which is everyone that ever had a wireless phone, will keep them on their cradle religiously, only removing when in use. Many days they aren't even used, and when in use, most calls, nearly all in fact, last less than 5 minutes.

These cradles do not include a smart charger. They're dumb chargers, and while the best may stop charging when at capacity, as soon as the cell dips from self-discharge, the charger kicks in again. Many have endless trickle charge, some will not even have trickle charge in many cases, just endless charging, endlessly slamming the cells with 150 microamps. The cells in handsets probably receive the worst charge abuse of any cells in the history of batteries.

This is the answer to the mystery staring us right in the face, wireless phones. As of 2017, there were 455M landlines in the US, and undoubtedly there are still hundreds of millions. Anyone's call how many residential landlines use wireless phones, but they were always popular since the early 1980s. These low capacity, high cycle cells are those that can take the abuse of endless charging and infrequent short-term discharging, and yet still hold a charge for 20-30 minutes when in use, for up to even 5 years and even beyond before they can no longer hold a charge for even a few minutes.

If I am not mistaken, they used to be NiCad 300mAh AAA cells, which was a good fit for their ability to take abuse, even when overdischarged from self-discharge and left for months like that. NiMH more than tripled the capacity of NiCad for wireless phones, but probably won't survive as long when over-selfdischarged and left in storage for a long time. NiMH need to be used, and I've never had much success reviving high self-discharge NiMH after they sat overdischarged for a period beyond a couple months. Also, one can obviously use LSD NiMH in handsets, but due to how they are abused, they won't put out the necessary amps for very long.

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
aaah ok, that makes sense, they take abuse better, so that's why they're suitable for DECT phones.
also, the solar powered little garden lamps make sense too, those cycle everyday, and usually give up the ghost fairly fast, so replacing them with some proper batteries might make them far more usable.
thanks guys!

sceva

Newly Enlightened
If they are so much better for DECT phones and solar lamps why doesn't Panasonic market them here in the US? I'm not convinced that there is ANY advantage for the LITES any longer. On given packages Panasonic says : Eneloop Lites "Most suitable for DECT phones" Regular Eneloop "Most Suitable for DECT Phones" on European packaging and DECT phones etc on US packaging, HHR-4DPA AAA batteries now say "Ideal for DECT phones" on some packaging. I wondering if the LITEs will be phased out; the LITEs seem to only be still marketed where there is an entrenched demand has been using them and get them whether better or not.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
Just curious; If the ENELOOP LITEs are so good for low drain and things like DECT Phones why doesn't Panasonic market them in the US? You can get Eneloop, Eneloop Pro but not LITE from Amazon and US sellers. Ebay has Eneloop Lites but the come from Germany ( HUGE shipping charges to the US), Britain (Shipping not as bad as Germany but still a lot) or Lithuania ( Reasonable shipping but LONG ship times)
I would totally buy eneloop lite batteries for things like clocks, humidity meters/thermometers, pocket radios, all sorts of things. There are tons of devices that use AA or AAA batteries that have very low drain. A lot of them have no display at all or are using LCD (like thermometers and handheld radios (the sort that have no speaker). Even the white, regular eneloop cells seem to be overkill. These sorts of devices are the ONLY reason I still buy alkalines. And I hate to have alkaline batteries sitting in these devices. If an alkaline is going to leak it will be in a device that is rarely ever checked (like a clock) and/or a device that will over-discharge the alkaline (like a clock). I have run simple quartz analog clocks on alkalines that had less than 0.9v! If I could replace all the alkaline batteries in my life, I would.

I read somewhere that it takes 100x the energy to make an alkaline battery than what you get out of said battery. We'd all be better off if we could just stop making/buying/using the blasted leaking things!

Panasonic, if you are listening, if you were to sell the eneloop lite here in North America, we'd buy them, and you'd have a huge market here that would eliminate a lot of alkaline batteries from landfills.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
In USA we do not have any lithium aa and aaa other than energizer, we do not have flat 4,5v batteries either. in one case it is an industrial monopoly, (no one else is allowed to cell such cells in usa) in other there aren't any devices in usa that run on 4.5v cells.
as far as eneloop lite we have plenty devices that use aa and aaa, so maybe it is a legislative reason why we do not have those on us market, cuz low capacity would not be a reason not to sell them. We have plenty of not so useful, and outright useless things sold.

I actually would love to get some eneloop lite, they are of lower capacity, but it also means they charge faster, and more resistant to abuse, is pretty useful for toys,

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My phones AAA cells are only 400 mah, but they are several years old. I often have the phones off the charger for 12-18 hours a day, and sometimes they get left off the chargers overnight. So far, I think I have only expended a set of 2 batteries only once or twice, due to marathon phone calls.

NiOOH

Enlightened
Well, I don't see the lites being sold in Europe anymore either. They used to be widely available, but not anymore. IKEA had a LADDA version of these, but no more.
Besides, what's the point using these, providing that the regular (not Pro) Eneloops have very good cycle life and twice the capacity?
IMO, these were made to replace NiCds in older cordless phones. Since very few people still use them, the batteries got sort of obsolete too.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
With most everyone going cellular phone, there is likely just not enough demand for the battery manufacturers to justify making them as a separate product. If and when the cells in my phones wear out, I'll likely have to replace them with regular white wrapper Eneloops.