Cars, Man

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Although I guess Toyota has always been a bit more utilitarian and Honda more 'sporty'

Back when it was Camry vs Accord, that was always exaggerated; those two were always closer in character and performed more closely than most people gave them credit for. Not that it matters now that it's RAV4 vs CR-V, that one's about to be upset by Mazda putting a turbo engine in the CX-5 bringing it to parity with the BMWs..

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
To be fair. While I prefer Toyota, Honda is the only one with a manual in the full size sedan. And while the current sport Camry is the coolest Camry, it is lacking in speed due to the Eco auto. If Toyota made a manual Camry my family would own one.

Now that it's suv/crossover I agree the cars lose relevance. As for turbos I'm less informed. Although the new Cr-v has a turbo 4 cyl base now? Don't recall.

As for bmw as far as I know 3.0 liter straight 6 is minimum or 4 cyl turbo with similar power

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Now that it's suv/crossover I agree the cars lose relevance. As for turbos I'm less informed. Although the new Cr-v has a turbo 4 cyl base now? Don't recall.

Honda's going with a 1.5L turbo, Mazda's 2.5L turbo is pushing 300+ lb ft..

To be fair. While I prefer Toyota, Honda is the only one with a manual in the full size sedan. And while the current sport Camry is the coolest Camry, it is lacking in speed due to the Eco auto. If Toyota made a manual Camry my family would own one.

The Camry was almost always available with a manual, just not recently and not commonly. And yes you could mate it to the V6.
OEOuLT6.jpg

As for bmw as far as I know 3.0 liter straight 6 is minimum or 4 cyl turbo with similar power

My BMW 4 cyl turbo does indeed have similar power :)
29419408100_9bd1850a64_o.jpg

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Funny StarHalo, I believe the manual Camry you've pictured is an xv20 (97-01), I had a 00 with a five speed. The problem is they haven't had a manual since like 2011 (or whenever that bumpy nose gen ended) so no new ones for a while.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Car and Driver's test of the then-new xv10 was a cherry red V6 manual Sport coupe, I remember that one (0-60 in 7 seconds!), still the best looking xv10 I ever saw. But yeah, nowadays they're assuming if you want the sport experience you'll just get the 86, doubly evident as the RAV4 is becoming more truck-like:
xwt2fRv.jpg

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
What is it with putting the horn press in the steering wheel centre? I'm trying to avoid a potential hazard, not pressing at the steering wheel. Probably why so many people blow the horn after the event. None of my previous cars had it on the wheel and I REALLY don't like that placement.