Cave Exploring Headlamp List - regularly updated, includes tech specs

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Digging the Zebra mod!

There are some really nice high amperage connectors on hobbyking FYI. I'm ordering some for my Kavelight soon which is pulling ~8-9ish amps haha.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the programmability of using dual flood and a spot ZL headlamps:
H600mkii on 3.5-11 lumens/1-2 week duration with H602 on 65 lumens/30 hour works really well for me within 20-30 feet, very comfortable working, seeing tools and moving around, while still not too bright for arms length.
Likewise H600mkii on 65 lumens/30 hours with H602 on 330 lumens/4 hours duration looks really balanced to my eye for longer range.
So there's still a little more flood power available and a whole lot more wide spot power on tap.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been making/using mixable lights since early Luxeon days, and my favourite general movement mix is a flood with just a hint of spot.
In my case, with a fairly tight spot, a 9:1 ratio is enough to add meaningful range for general movement without spoiling the flood feel (and while consuming relatively insignificant power).

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been making/using mixable lights since early Luxeon days, and my favourite general movement mix is a flood with just a hint of spot.
In my case, with a fairly tight spot, a 9:1 ratio is enough to add meaningful range for general movement without spoiling the flood feel (and while consuming relatively insignificant power).

Right, a little bit of warm/neutral spot for the fovea centralis!
I gotta make sure that I'm eating enough lutein and zeaxanthin.

"The fovea has a high concentration of the yellow carotenoid pigments lutein and zeaxanthin. They are concentrated in the Henle fiber layer (photoreceptor axons that go radially outward from the fovea) and to a lesser extent in the cones.[14][15] They are believed to play a protective role against the effects of high intensities of blue light which can damage the sensitive cones. The pigments also enhance the acuity of the fovea by reducing the sensitivity of the fovea to short wavelengths and counteracting the effect of chromatic aberration.[16] This is also accompanied by a lower density of blue cones at the center of the fovea.[17] The maximum density of blue cones occurs in a ring about the fovea. Consequently, the maximum acuity for blue light is lower than that of other colours and occurs approximately 1° off center."
- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fovea_centralis

Last edited:

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
I'm on the verge of buying an El Speleo Gnoma but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Likes and dislikes.

My main plus is also my main minus, the battery holder. No descent means attaching it and rather large/not so streamline size and shape but still the abillity to use 3 different battery setups.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you be happy with a light that has a single beamshape?

Personally, I don't think I would, but I have used twin-beam lights for a very long time.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen one in person yet (fairly new light) so can't say much about the beam but by the looks of the pics it's 3 smooth reflectors which should provide a good spot, and as there are 3 of them, also a good amount of flood. Should make for an interesting and usable beam.

I've been looking into tge Rescue model but the battery pack doesn't appeal to me. I like to have options to buy separate batteries and not depend on the manufacturer and pricey packs. I think one is about $40.

I do understand your point though and know the benefits of flood or throw in certain situations.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
Seems the Rescue will soon be available with the Gnoma battery tube for a 26650, 18650, 3AA or 3AAA battery option. Only need the funds. :oops:

preetlove

Newly Enlightened
here are the list of top ranked headlamps:
1. Coast HL7
2. Black Diamond ReVolt
3. Black Diamond Icon
4. Black Diamond Storm
5. Black Diamond Spot

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My H600w MKII has held up with some VERY rough use and even underwater a few times swimming up a river.
Haven't done any serious spelunking with it but DH mtn biking & general heavy use on the trail in rain/mud.

lusifer

Newly Enlightened
pulsar magnet lamp produce horrible sound when working. extremly loud sound. italians caver call it helicopter :crackup:

lusifer

Newly Enlightened
found on fb. pulsar magnet lamp.
don't pay poop :toilet: buy Rude Nora :twothumbs

[video]https://vid.me/UmfO[/video]

Last edited:

divanster

Newly Enlightened
No more sound with Pulsar. Now it have new powerful driver, quiet and also new battery boxes using lose batteries, button system of Explorer model now are made from aluminium.

dirkomatic

Newly Enlightened
I know life gets in the way, but I've found lots of updates which should probably be made to the original spreadsheet.

These are just changes I can think of off the top of my head from personal experience:

Add new version of Black Diamond Storm
Update Black Diamond Icon to new version
Add Thrunite TH10 & TH20
Add Fenix HL55 (Actually the list of all Fenix lights on the spreadsheet is pretty outdated)
Add Nitecore HC30 (Same with Nitecore)
Add Skilhunt H02 & H03
Add Xtar Warboy H3
Add Imalent HR20

And I have no idea about the current slate of Armytek and Zebralight....

the Kwan

Newly Enlightened
I have been using an independent makers caving lamp for a little while now for caving and it is well impressive, made to order but reasonably cheap and fantastic quality and functionality.
http://www.ledcaplamps.com/