cell phones

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Got a Nokia 8210 with a display that tends to display gibberish or nothing at al till you shake/tap/squeeze it; any Nokia users with the same problem? I've been told it's a common Nokia failure, and I expect if any user group gives their cellphones a hard time, it must be the esteemed members of this forum :)

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_van_Gorkom said:
Got a Nokia 8210 with a display that tends to display gibberish or nothing at al till you shake/tap/squeeze it; any Nokia users with the same problem? I've been told it's a common Nokia failure, and I expect if any user group gives their cellphones a hard time, it must be the esteemed members of this forum :)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yessir, that was one of the unliked features of the 5120 that I replaced. Mine also would display "Test Mode" from time to time while in my auto charger/holder. For the last 3 months of operation it also started beeping (not ringing or alerting, just beeping) from time to time while in the charger. I figured 5 years was an OK run and just replaced it.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HAVE and LOVE my Sanyo 4900 with SPRINTPCS.

Not one dropped call, GREAT reception, GREAT battery life, it is CLEAR and LOUD. Easy to use. I can store my address book on my PC and use my PC to enter in phone numbers, and keep a backup copy of my coded numbers on the pc.

I can use the phone as a modem if needed (it actually gets better than 56K speeds!) It has a speakerphone, so I can talk hands free, in the truck.

I used to HATE Sprint, but I discovered it was my PHONE, not SPRINT that was bad.

I HAD a Motorola Timeport (an upgraded StarTac type of phone), and is looked soo cool! Loved the flip phone, as a big Star Trek person, I could never get past the "Captain Kirk" feel of the TimePort look and feel.

BUT, the phone itself was horrible, and I never knew that it was the phone, and not SPRINT that was bad. I paid big bucks for this phone, and Motorala has a great name, so I thought I was getting the best.

BUT, I could never use the phone in my house or office, reception is too bad, and could not hear well, and I had dropped calls all the time.

Now, it was not just one phone , but three different phones, all the same model.

I did lots of research on howardforums and wirelessadvisor, and eopions and everyone raved about this phone, and I have to agree, it is a great phone.

I hear that a new model is coming out, the 7200 to replace this phone.

Even though I CAN surf the internet with this phone, I do not. And the Color display is also very nice, but not a deciding factor.

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened
fcea2920.jpg

2dogs

Enlightened
Sasha. Whoa you aren't getting older. At least not for a few more years. My 9yo daughter calls the Verizon phone hers. Actually we keep it because Nextel's coverage area doesn't compare to Verizon so it is our travelling phone. My daughter carries it more as a status symbol that anything else. She isn't allowed to power it up unless there is a real need to. In nine months she hasn't had to. Thank God she isn't a latch key kid like one of her best friends. I'm retired so I take her to school and pick her up everyday. I also volunteer at her school several days a week. My wife still works (only for another 18 years though) Sunday through Tuesday so things work out very well.

My daughter's third grade latch key friend has a mom who works 45 miles away from school and an older sister who meets her at home, about a mile from school. They live in a low income project with some unsavory kids, all latch key. Very sad. This little girl has a c-phone, but no mom close by to call. Please pray for her.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the SprintPCS Sanyo 4900. The best sound quality and reception I have ever had in 11 years (that's a lot of analog use too) of cellular phone use from any carrier in the St. Louis area!

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Latest is an LG 4400. Nice, loud earpiece speaker with excellent battery runtime for a "color" display. Available games and k3wl stuff, too.

Now if it only had an integrated zillion CP floodlight on one end... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Can you see me now? Good!

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nokia returns. Just a comparison: Samsung S2 -- 1444 mAh (2 days on standby), Nokia C6-01 -- 787 mAh (4 days on standby). I hope they still be manufacturing normal phones, not only that fancy garbage.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Nokia 3360 with a new 1200mAh Li-Ion battery that I WILL NOT LET GO OF!!!

We just got my Sister a new 5182 or something like that and she loves it. Especially the blue screen and buttons!

I am a Nokia FREAK!!!

I have been tempted to revive my old Nokia 3360 as well. Was bullet proof

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
13 and a half years- wow! I heard they're bringing back the old Nokia simple phone recently (don't remember the number)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm a big fan of AMOLED screens. The color rendition is noticeably better than LCD screens and there are no motion artifacts when viewing video. Samsung has been using OLED screens for a few years and the rumor is the next iPhone will use OLEDs also.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
MAN! This is one dusty thread. I started sneezing just from reading it. :)

~ Chance

This is one of the biggest necro-bumps I've ever seen. It has me wondering if I was still using my Motorola Star-Tac at the time.

I'm a big fan of AMOLED screens. The color rendition is noticeably better than LCD screens and there are no motion artifacts when viewing video. Samsung has been using OLED screens for a few years and the rumor is the next iPhone will use OLEDs also.
My previous two phones had OLEDs. Colors were vivid - if a bit off - and they were far more energy-efficient than traditional LCD. However, they had brightness limitations and their curious power limits made for some interesting differences in per-pixel brightness when rendering something like a white-background webpage vs dark-to-black background phone UI or app.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a Sony Ericson about the time this thread began. I bought it as an emergency phone and soon learned the thing was great so long as my emergency occured in a specific radius near the provider's rare towers. Battery lasted weeks n weeks on stanby.

These days after the 1st android phone I never went back to the normal type. My work issued iphone 5s' to everyone after years of the bullet proof Casio g-zone flip phones. And I quickly found out leaving it on the roof of my truck results in a broken phone where the Casio was just a matter of finding the parts and reassembling them.
In iphones defense it actually still worked after being run over during the morning rush hour, but the glass had so many cracks it wasn't possible to see what was on the screen.

I type this from an HTC m8, which over all has been pretty satisfactory. Yet the non replaceable battery is starting to run down faster. I prefer a rooted android but this one has remained stock. My son is a beta tester for google so I'm going to ask his advice when I go to upgrade.
I considered the new iphones but just don't like how much they handcuff things because some of my favorite apps aren't available at their 'store'. I'm waiting on a couple of products to show over time if they are reliable otherwise I'm thinking of sticking with HTC.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
13 and a half years- wow! I heard they're bringing back the old Nokia simple phone recently (don't remember the number)

3310 :) I am not sure if that real, but people used to say you may hammer nails with it, run it over with a truck, but it continued to work :)

old-nokia-3310-meets-new-3310.jpg

Last edited:

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
3310 :) I am not sure if that real, but people used to say you may hammer nails with it, run it over with a truck, but it continued to work :)

old-nokia-3310-meets-new-3310.jpg
I had two of these, both in red. I got the second one less than a week after I got the first one, because I found out that one thing they will NOT survive is doing a swan dive from your shirt pocket into the dogs' water bowl.

Let's just say that I was VERY glad I'd purchased the "klutz-proof" insurance, and that I got a belt case for the second phone IMMEDIATELY.