Challenge Week #5: Do the Twist!!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, the other thing to note is that it was cold and I was wearing gloves, and the while the Twisty action was a two handed affair, it was no problem and really actually nice on the Maglight with that big bezel to grab onto. Trying to use gloves with a Zebralight, HDS flat button, shrouded Quark, etc is a pain and often ends up being a two handed affair anyway.

Vemice

Enlightened
I'm in. Beta Ti or Sapphire. For all around use, the Beta.
tyxoqlNl.jpg

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just reorganized my flashlight-case when I accidentally tapped the rear switch on one of my Surefires while shifting it around. Blinked-ON in momentary for a split second. Damn. I guess that counts as a fail? Not giving up because of that tho.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does intent still matter in the legal, court-of-law sense? :thinking:

Dunno, and I have no desire to find out first hand.

But for us, remember per the "rules" you're not really "out" or anything so carry on if you want and we'll just make a few jokes at your expense! :D

scout24

Flashaholic
So far the Hoku has been used for pretty much everything, midnight snack to dog walking to finding things in the basement's recesses. 10440 battery life is an issue on the top two levels as expected, and as with all multi-mode twisties in my experience there is the occasional mode skip. So far so good though. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For some reason fate seems to dictate that during some of these challenges my flashlight uses are way more or way less. So far this week, way less. As in since Sunday at sunset none so far. Not even my usual 2am nature call and I even drank an extra glass of water before retiring last evening. I have a C01 (sophia) and G-Line aa ready to go but so far both got to sleep all night.
I have a twisty on my coffee table setting idle and so far my ML25 has been idle. I started a new project at work so much of my brain RAM is being used for that. So perhaps by dinner time it wants to idle, which means no tinkering. And I cleaned my glasses so that might be why I can read without aid of a flashlight.

You know it's time to clean them when you put them on and think to yourself "I could see better without them". :oops:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I`v been quite surprised by how warm the C01S gets after a few mins on High, not something I expected from a AAA light, even the eneloop gets warm, though I`m not sure if that`s heating from the battery itself or indirectly from the casing because of the LED. I doubt it`s damaging but I wouldn`t like to leave it on for more than 5 mins at a time with an alkaleak in it!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used the C01 (sophia) last night for 2am nature call, because I have a trit in it so it's easy to find. Nice tint and broad beam, but really too bright for such duties. Tried to use my thumb to cover up the beam, but that didn't work to well as the blockage co-efficient was highly variable so basically it went from 0-7lm in random bursts.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a fair bit of twistys to choose from. There are more AAA's not shown.

Does anybody make a 18650 or 16650 twisty?

ACtC-3fVxh4iPYcLC2ESw-UQ5GWL1KtAbNEKj62OpdJ0IUGXl2PuEIOlBDVUo70OuYNTi6Om24Iv6g5sGrrC6rEMpXmubkfg4BuoCZ4YbfqL_BjpDEgp5amYpvMTgcyhiwU-pR0VKuLuAYCUrm5m-QfIYPCy=w750-h444-no

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had wondered that myself. I figured some company out there would've made an 18650 twisty by now.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`v been quite surprised by how warm the C01S gets after a few mins on High, not something I expected from a AAA light, even the eneloop gets warm, though I`m not sure if that`s heating from the battery itself or indirectly from the casing because of the LED. I doubt it`s damaging but I wouldn`t like to leave it on for more than 5 mins at a time with an alkaleak in it!

My C01s (the orange one shown above) only gets apx 30 or 35 minutes on high with a standard Eneloop AAA. So yeah, that's hitting the battery pretty hard at a 2C discharge rate, but I think that's still within limits for Eneloops.

On the one hand, I appreciate it when designers are willing to drive an LED hard, but on the other hand, I generally want the high mode on any light to last at least an hour.

I have to think of the C01s high-mode like the old SureFire P61 or P91 lamps. 20 minutes was all you got! But in that case, you then had to throw away about 6 dollars+ worth of primary 123a batteries!

:eek:

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
The Thrunite Ti3 is proving to be my go to twisty so far. I much prefer the 2700k tint in my modded Lumintop Tool but the cool white Ti3 has the best overall functionality. It twists smoothly one handed and doesn't mode skip on me. I may just need to swap the emitter... :grin2:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks to cave dave's reminder about the replacement tailcap on the last page, the Lumintop Tool has become my twisty of choice for this. Dim enough for midnight, bright enough for dog walking within reason, just needs a real pocket clip. :) I walk my pup on a leash, not let her run and do her own thing. So unless it's for my own "playing with flashlights", I don't need a big light for this. Runtime's pretty good, and any AA sized cell works well in it. :thumbsup:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Used the C01 (sophia) last night for 2am nature call, because I have a trit in it so it's easy to find. Nice tint and broad beam, but really too bright for such duties. Tried to use my thumb to cover up the beam, but that didn't work to well as the blockage co-efficient was highly variable so basically it went from 0-7lm in random bursts.

That is why I prefer the Fenix E01 in stock form, warts and all. Instead of having all 7-ish lumens blasting out near me like the C01 does, in stock form the E01 throws most of the ugly light well forward. That does not shock my eyes like a flooder as well as giving my foggy brain more reaction time to prevent my toes from making contact with a door frame or other items. Now once you reach the water closet with all those shiney poreclain things 7 lumens becomes 70. Yikes.

I'm going to attempt to make an incan solitaire have a tailcap lockout feature by removing ano at certain points. That way I can set the beam how I like it and use the tailcap for on/off like the ML25 can.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some quark parts in today from ebay and had to do some functionality tests of the clicky buttons on the lego parts (not every combo works for some reason). I believe that is within the rules.:candle:
I did use the Lumintop Tool in twisty mode to inspect the O-ring and threads though.

scout24

Flashaholic
I remembered today that I have another light to use for the last day or two of this week's challenge. I have a 14500 powered Mini Mag Triple by KYFishguy. Popped a Tec pocket dangler onto it and I'm ready for tonight. :)

Last edited: