Charger for C Cells - Need Help

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I have a device that needs C cells and because it gets through alkalines so fast, I bought some Nimh rechargeables. My charger (Fenix ARE-C2) claims to be able to charge C cells. When I tried I found two problems. First, the charger can't physically fit 4 c cells as its not wide enough. I have to do two at a time. Up until now the biggest batteries I have charged are 18650 which will fit 4 at a time. But worse is that the positive terminal is too short so that when I put the batteries in it, they are pushed up and fail to properly engage.

So I bought a Nitecore Digicharger D4 which turns out to have exactly the same problems. I can work around the pop up problem but I really don't like to jury rig stuff when it comes to powerful batteries.

Does anyone know of a charger (that they have actually used) that will fit and charge 4 c cell batteries at a time? Please don't suggest using AAs in an adapter. I tried that and for various reasons it won't do.

The batteries are Varta brand. In these, only the button top itself will conduct electricity as the rest of the top is a black insulating material.

Thanks

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be easier to just use AA Eneloops in 2000 or 2500mAh capacity and some cheap as chips C cell to AA adapters.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
3000 mah and I don't really care. I don't mind a few hours but over 10 hours would be silly.
Lowest-cost Tenergy above ($25) charges at 600mA, seems pretty good (but I don't own one); would charge in around 5 hours. I also
like that it does individual cells, does not require pairs (such as 3 cells).

Dave

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Thanks LEDphile and Dave_H. That looks perfect. I can see from the site photos that its wide enough and that the positive and negative contacts are longer than in my current chargers.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had bad luck with several smart charges while charging some cells, especially tenergy with blue wrapper, chargers would not terminate the charge properly only charging 1/3 of a cell.
I would recommend LiitoKala Lii-500. it works with li ion, nimh/nicd. it fits 26xxx cells, (c cells are 25-26mm) you can check if you charged it fully, either by looking how much it "poured in" or by discharging it and seeing how much you can pull from a cell. it cost around 50 bucks, but it can do many things, and it worth it imo.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Hi alpg88. As it happens I'm based in the UK and that one as well as Tenergy chargers are "currently unavailable". I'll wait until I can get something actually recommended by CPF users. So many chargers sound great at first but looking at reviews shows me that often they are very hit and miss in terms of performance.

I'll make do with my workaround for the moment. That involves gutting a dead C cell (Duracell) and using the either the button top end or negative end to bridge the gap between battery and charger. I never leave chargers unattended so no risk there.

Many thanks

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
What issues did you have with AA's? It rather sounds like hard work and lots of expense to continue with C cells and only minor capacity increases.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have a device that needs C cells and because it gets through alkalines so fast, I bought some Nimh rechargeables. My charger (Fenix ARE-C2) claims to be able to charge C cells. When I tried I found two problems. First, the charger can't physically fit 4 c cells as its not wide enough. I have to do two at a time. Up until now the biggest batteries I have charged are 18650 which will fit 4 at a time. But worse is that the positive terminal is too short so that when I put the batteries in it, they are pushed up and fail to properly engage.

So I bought a Nitecore Digicharger D4 which turns out to have exactly the same problems. I can work around the pop up problem but I really don't like to jury rig stuff when it comes to powerful batteries.

Does anyone know of a charger (that they have actually used) that will fit and charge 4 c cell batteries at a time? Please don't suggest using AAs in an adapter. I tried that and for various reasons it won't do.

The batteries are Varta brand. In these, only the button top itself will conduct electricity as the rest of the top is a black insulating material.

Thanks

Throw a magnet on the positive end of the battery until you find a new charger.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Hi Chicken Drumstick. Well, the problem is a new cat flap built into a new wall. (Near a corner) This one uses batteries faster than the old one but its fitted now so i'm stuck with it. It needs 2 c cells on the left and 2 on the right, fitted vertically positive end down. Because of the location I have to fit the right hand side ones by touch only. You have to slide one into the slot, push it up and put one more underneath. My AA to c spacers allow the battery to slide out of the top or bottom. I don't have the dexterity to perform the action without a AA battery sliding down when I try to put in the second one. It can be done but involves the use of a lot of words you can't find in the Bible. So I reverted to C cells but where I come from they are damned expensive hence rechargables.

turbodog

Flashaholic
That looks good. A bit expensive but actually in stock. Thank you.
LOT of complaints going back YEARS regarding HIGH charge temps. Now, some of this is probably due to nimh getting warm during a charge.

I'd consider putting a fan on the charger, wall-wart, and cells or going with multiple smaller known chargers w/o temp complaints.

6k reviews...

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Thanks Turbodog and others for your help. This is exactly why I wanted advice from people who had actually used particular chargers. I think I'll stick with your magnet suggestion.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Quite by chance I finally found a charger that will fit and charge c cells (without needing magnets etc). Its the Fenix ARE-D2. Where I live, customs restrictions make it hard to get L-Ion batteries unless they are accompanied by a relevant piece of kit. I have just started using 14500 cells in a Lumintop Tool AA and wanted some spares. Well, the only way I could get them shipped was to buy a charger also. The ARE-D2 was fairly cheap so I bought that plus 4 x 14500s. When it arrived I could see that in all dimensions it was a little bigger than my other chargers.

Which means that it will fit 21700 batteries too. I just recently bought a 21700 flashlight but was not too worried about charging as this one charges in the flashlight and my spare battery uses a USB-c connector.

For anyone moving to 21700, this might be a cheap option for a charger.

AlexLED

Enlightened
Nice charger !

There are indeed only a very few charger (these days) into which 4 C-cells fit.
If you are still looking for such, one other is the PALO C906W.
According to lygte-info.dk this is a fairly decent charger.
It seems still available in aliexpress.