cheap chargers for Li-ion OK or no?

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I am getting a fenix LD11, and with a AW 14500 cell. Is the protection circuit in the cell sufficient so that I can use one of those tiny cheap 1 cell chargers?

I have a Fenix ARE-C2 that I can use at home. The little one would be for travel and etc. but might be used a lot.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Cheap" and lithium-ion chargers/cells, shouldn't be used in the same sentence, but I don't know you and hence really don't fret over what you do.

While you're at it, get yourself a decent digital multimeter (DMM.) The Fenix charger, I would use, but never bought, as there are better out there for less money.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
I know I probably shouldn't but I use one of these on occasion.
18650_charger.jpg

It's just so darn handy. NO cords really keeps it simple and organized in a small case or bag with the light. The prongs fold down so it's nice and compact. I think it does something like 450mA and stopped at 4.21v. A little high for my tastes, but not horrible.

Let the flaming...BEGIN!

Do I recommend it? No.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would only use a cheap charger if HKJ has reviewed it here and gave his OK, or at least explained its limitations. I went with the Klarus CH1 for a USB EDC/travel charger since it can both charge and powerbank both NiMh and Li-ions. HKJ pointed out a too high CV, but I'm running a 4.35v 16650.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Markr6, it seems you know that your charger is kinda shady. I received three of those things in that pic you posted, was part of a non-exchangeable deal. Guy threw them in. Found out why.

2 of the 3 were DOA. One of them rattled, took it apart, and it was FULL OF SOLDER BEADS. After a teardown of one, you couldn't pay me to try the one that lit up.

$20 gets you a great travel charger, Redilast Micro 80ma. It'll do all lithium ion to 4.2v, but takes a long time for high cap cells like 18650. I use mine to keep my 10440x1 hot for my pocket blaster. Love it. You can cram it into a matchbox if you try.

A Nitecore d4 charger isn't going to break the bank and has a rep. Noname China does not.

Is the protection circuit in the cell sufficient so that I can use one of those tiny cheap 1 cell chargers?

That might not really enter into it if the charger misses charge termination and keeps going. I've had a Nitecore i4 (not the d4) do that to me before, cells got super hot. I pulled the plug and tried to figure out what was up. 4.4v! :crazy: Ended up losing a charging bay out of the 4 on the charger. Out of warranty, junked it. That was 2 strikes, and any strike against a specific example of a charger is too many. Safety first. Budget last.

Even a charger with a rep can screw up.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Xtar VC4 for $33 shipped and the their MC1+ for $10 before shipping.

Both test out as being capable and safe by HKJ. That's all we really can ask for.

There are a lot of good, safe chargers out there that do a correct job of charging/terminating AND don't break the bank.

If $6 vs. $10 is going to result in a financial crisis for you, then I guess that I can understand going with a no name charger, but really?

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
I do have an Xtar MC1 Plus on my Amazon wishlist. $10, 1000mA, winner! I just didn't pull the trigger yet due to the cord, but I guess it's worth getting a quality, safe charger.

It's DEFINITELY not a question of money, but size and compact storage for me.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have an Xtar MC1 Plus on my Amazon wishlist. $10, 1000mA, winner! I just didn't pull the trigger yet due to the cord, but I guess it's worth getting a quality, safe charger.

It's DEFINITELY not a question of money, but size and compact storage for me.

I just see it a lot of the gun board and it's both laughable and sad:

'My XXX-Fire chargers and batteries have been kickin' *** for years, so what's the problem?'

The funny part is is that they don't bother asking first, before buying and then come into a place like this and ask if this stuff is 'good.'

That cracks me up even more.

Chris

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, Chris. Cobra derringers are like Ultrafire batteries. Lots of parallels! :)

My dad had one and yeah. "It's just fine! I kept it in the truck for years!" When pressed, he was forced to admit that it wasn't made to shoot but to carry. I inherited it, broken. It is a paperweight. Less than 50 rounds (afaik) through it in its lifetime, 2 trips back to the factory, then broke again the third time.

Paperweight chargers are okay, just don't try to use them! :)

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I had only found the one Markr6 showed. But the XTAR MC1 is just as small and more versatile being USB. That's what I'll get.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and my friend has a Jennings 380 that has fired millions of rounds without a single hiccup and shoots about 1/2 MOA

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and my friend has a Jennings 380 that has fired millions of rounds without a single hiccup and shoots about 1/2 MOA

I have a Glock that has never exploded and an AK that has jammed. :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I'm with the other guys here, you need a good quality charger which they've already discussed.

I started out with cheap chargers and now have a little collection of 6 or 7 different Xtar and Nitecore chargers, several quality NiMH chargers like the Opus and Maha, plus a bunch of the Veleno Designs, MBI, and Cottonpicker chargers for the sub-CR2 size lithium ion batteries like my 10180, 10220, 10280, and 14250 cells.

But that's overkill. All you really need is one quality lithium ion charger if you don't need NiMH too, and there are now chargers that will do both. And like Chris said $20 will get you a quality lithium ion one. It's well worth it considering the risks of cheap chargers with lithium ions.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I had only found the one Markr6 showed. But the XTAR MC1 is just as small and more versatile being USB. That's what I'll get.

Thanks for the help!

Are those the ones made out of "pot metal?" Some sort of zinc alloy if I remember right.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zamak is actually really versatile and useful. Look at the "Hipoint" firearms. Maximum cheapness, yet they seem like tanks. They all fail hard on ergonomics, but bang for the buck they are #1.

I have a 9mm Hipoint carbine with scope and that thing is "on point." Zero complaints!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I haven't followed that segment of the market since the mid-90s, but outfits like Jenner had been around for a while. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. And they may be new companies that I don't know of that offer a lot of bang for your buck.