Check out the new Maratac Nichia AAA Copper!

wolfgaze

Enlightened
This light has such a good weight and 'feel' to it for such a tiny light... This may be the perfect AAA light for my personal needs & preferences... Looking forward to it changing appearance over time as it develops patina, and then looking forward to cleaning it and making it look like brand new again.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Oh and if Maratac ever does a Titanium AAA with the Nichia LED, I'll be all over that as well..

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be the perfect AAA light for my personal needs & preferences...

I feel the same way!, great to hear you are enjoying your Rev4 CuMaratac AAA w Nichia, mine is in my pocket.

It does not fall short on even one single criteria that I consider a priority. NoPWM, High CRI, neutral CCT, noGreen Tint, reversible pocket clip, tailstand capable, antibacterial, aesthetically pleasing, smooth action.

imo, the Nichia Maratac AAA is the Best AAA of 2017, for my needs.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I feel the same way!, great to hear you are enjoying your Rev4 CuMaratac AAA w Nichia, mine is in my pocket.

It does not fall short on even one single criteria that I consider a priority. NoPWM, High CRI, neutral CCT, noGreen Tint, reversible pocket clip, tailstand capable, antibacterial, aesthetically pleasing, smooth action.

imo, the Nichia Maratac AAA is the Best AAA of 2017, for my needs.
Sure wish Low was the 1st level to come on.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Jon (or anyone else), since I've never previously owned a copper light - how quickly can one expect a serious patina to develop? Does it take a long time or happen fairly quickly?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A tiny aaa copper light is not that heavy. Just use a 1,5V lithium cell and you have saved the weight that the copper adds, or more, if the weight is a issue :)
One of my all time favorites was the rev 2 modded with a xp-g2 using a 10440. A freind lost it when he needed a light on a fishing trip. Told him not to loose it, because i didn't want to buy a new rev 3 with pwm. Well... he lost it... Still dont want to buy because of the hed-lo-hi modes, and it cant handle a 10440... The water where my rev2 got lost is called kopperfjellsvannet, translate to copper-mountain-lake....

Serious platina? Well that depends on if you pocket carry it or not. The platina comes faster if you clean it well, get rid of all oils and fat from it, and dont use it. The pocket will rub off some of the platina. Pee on it, and it will turn green in days. There was a church that got some new copper plates on the roof, it got covered in cow **** to platina really fast :)

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do so many people like the light starting on low instead of medium? Most of my use as a keychain light I need the medium mode and it's much more convenient to turn it on once and already be at medium instead of starting on low and having to twist again for medium. Maybe others use theirs differently or don't need as much light but the medium first is perfect for me.

Nichia!

Banned
Why do so many people like the light starting on low instead of medium? Most of my use as a keychain light I need the medium mode and it's much more convenient to turn it on once and already be at medium instead of starting on low and having to twist again for medium. Maybe others use theirs differently or don't need as much light but the medium first is perfect for me.

+1

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened
I think different lights for different uses. I have a night vision problem and I use a light in my house a lot. So in navigating around a room coming on in medium is perfect for me. Or using a light outside, again medium as first mode is great. For me, my keychain light, I want that coming on in low as I typically use that light in a car or restaurant. So I typically carry 2-3 lights at any one time and use the one suited to my task. The Maratac AAA I usually clip to my pajama pants and agree, medium is good for me for use around the house.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind starting in medium, if there isn't a low - high only.

I hate, hate, hate having to go through low from medium to get to high.

I'd rather have m-h-l than m-l-h.

I often use my lights in low light situations and prefer to have direct access to the lowest mode from off, rather than being blinded with a brighter mode.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It's quite simple..... because most of my use requires a very dim output from the onset. I can always switch to medium if and when required.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 3 lumen low of the MLH Maratac w Nichia, for indoor use when not fully dark adapted.

fwiw, It is possible to lego or mod a Maratac into an LMH modes configuration. my sig has a couple LMH ReyLights with 1 lumen low for sale, the ReyLight head is a direct lego, it works on the body of my new Maratac w Nichia too.

I have used gunga's mod services to put a Thrunite driver in a Maratac, along a High Cri 3000k LED swap. I felt the low of the Thrunite driver was too dim, so I had him remove the Thrunite driver and install a ReyLight driver instead, still w the 3000k XPG. I prefer the ReyLight driver, paired with the Warm LED.

For the 4000k LED in the Maratac w Nichia, I prefer the 3 lumen low.

I prefer sublumen levels to be warm white.

tint is a high priority criteria in my selection process

imo the Tint of the CuMaratac w Nichia is excellent for the lumens range of its modes.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder where they source their diffuser? Its too bad its tinted green.

They have a pure white diffuser for the AA model(as well as green and red), none of which are "glow in the dark". If you email "Mike" at County Comm, he can let you know if the "plain white" is available for the AAA lights. He has always been excellent to deal with.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's quite simple..... because most of my use requires a very dim output from the onset. I can always switch to medium if and when required.

Yeah basically what I mentioned, it must depend on how people use their light. I prefer it starting in medium myself as that is much more beneficial for my keychain light but I can see how others would prefer a start in low for other uses. They should offer a version of each or make the driver easily customizable so we can select the option preferred.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should offer a version of each or make the driver easily customizable so we can select the option preferred.

:), that would cost extra
fwiw, for people that want LMH, Lumintop does make a couple AAA lights with that sequence.. the ReyLights, and the Prometheus Beta Copper (w PWM), and possibly the upcoming Massdrop Brass Tool.

Maybe write to CountyComm and suggest LMH, "after thousands of requests", they might do it. Be sure to mention how low a low you want, and be sure to say if you do NOT want PWM, or we might end up with something like the AA version (LMH, but the low is 5-12 lumens, depending which version of the specs you read, AND it uses PWM)

The nice thing about the Maratac w Nichia is that the driver is better regulated, w longer runtime, than the recent Tools, and still NoPWM. Pre Oct 2015 Maratacs have been PWM based. They seem to be rotating back to PWM drivers, if the AA is any indication.

I suspect CountyComm is not that savvy, and may not know that some of us want NoPWM :)

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually prefer the MLH like they have it now though. I wish my titanium AA was the same instead of LMH. Medium is my most used mode on every light I own, the only times I use low modes is when it's completely dark and I don't want to wake up the baby or ruin my night vision. Otherwise it's always medium or high which is a good 90% of my use. I prefer they stick with the MLH personally :)

Latest posts