Checking my DMM DC Voltage Accuracy

billcushman

Enlightened
Doug Malone at VoltageStandard makes fine products. I have a PentaRef with outputs of 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 volts. It is especially nice for handheld DMMs. All the voltages are exact to nominal for three places past the decimal. They may vary from nominal by one digit on the fourth digit after the decimal.

If you want a good one but not cheap look here: http://www.voltagestandard.com/DMMCheck.html

I have two of the Chinese plastic housed AD584KH units. One always matches my Agilent 34401a within 0 to 2 counts (worst case in about 5 trials) on the fifth digit past the decimal. The other one matches within 0 to 2 counts on the fifth digit past the decimal at 7.5 and 10.0 volts, but show more deviation on the 2.5 and 5.0 volts outputs. These units are a great value if you get a good one. Some are calibrated using a HP 3458a, but others are calibrated using a 34401a Many of the AD584 devices look like a fake, but appear to perform well..

sll

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it's relevant to what I'm needing to figure out. I've noticed my old Fluke 75 seems to be indicating about 0.02v low as compared to the xtar VP2 and a Home Depot cheap-o which seem to be in agreement. I was thinking of getting one of the VoltageStandard's Reference, Model VREF-01. I see they have several voltages to pick from. 4.096, 4.500, and 5.000 seem to be the most applicable for checking 18650 voltages. Which would be best for checking my meters or are there any other suggestions?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it's relevant to what I'm needing to figure out. I've noticed my old Fluke 75 seems to be indicating about 0.02v low as compared to the xtar VP2 and a Home Depot cheap-o which seem to be in agreement. I was thinking of getting one of the VoltageStandard's Reference, Model VREF-01. I see they have several voltages to pick from. 4.096, 4.500, and 5.000 seem to be the most applicable for checking 18650 voltages. Which would be best for checking my meters or are there any other suggestions?
A voltage reference sounds like a good idea. Basically anything that you can trust as fairly accurate and can make a comparison.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
jJWbrNV.jpg

here's mine. i spot welded four CR2032's in series to power it

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ It normally uses a 15V 10F20 battery - which is rare (and not cheap in USA). As I mentioned in 2015, many users instead use 5x CR2032 cells (or similar), e.g. see Martin Jones's blog and/or EEVBlog. But I prefer to use 2x rechargeable 9V Li-ion (about $5-6 for EBLs). That way you can leave it powered on for long periods - which causes the reference chip to become more stable.

Last edited: