Choosing a LED light for my daughter

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'd agree on the Infinity. It can be made more teething friendly by sliding on a length of plastic tubing. Several of my children have chewed on my Infinities and I can't take the chalkboard/fingernail sound effect :shudder: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do be carefull with any lanyard though had a friend just had their child die by going down a slide and getting something around their neck caught at the top.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
But the main reason that I chose it, was because IT IS THE LEAST BRIGHTEST. While she loves to shine it on things, she still shines it in her face and I was very concerned about the long term effect of a bright light directly in her eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important aspect - especially considering our persistent quest for the "brightest" lights.

Considering the likely distances that the baby/infant will have the light - this is a true case of
"brightest" does NOT = best.
In fact I would go as far as to hazard that too bright may cause vision damage.

Brock

Flashaholic
I should add that one of the other reasons I choose the PT or the UKE was because they were plastic. As anyone knows with children, for some reason they chew on every new object. I hated the sound of metal on his teeth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I like Vincent's suggestion, and the heat shrink tube idea is good if you can cover up the edges of the bezel to make it non-removable (cut through it and replace it at battery change time). You don't want any parts that the kid can unscrew and swallow. Actually that's another argument for the Nightstar, which is completely sealed.

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
How about a Color Kinetics/Sauce color changing LED LightWand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out! I bought one of these as a gift for a tyke I know, but after a profound internal struggle, I ended up keeping it for myself. Had to get the tyke something else. Oh, the shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

In any case, "my" lightwand was a hit with a 2-year-old who came to visit recently.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lagged2Death said:
I bought one of these as a gift for a tyke I know, but after a profound internal struggle, I ended up keeping it for myself. Had to get the tyke something else. Oh, the shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

In any case, "my" lightwand was a hit with a 2-year-old who came to visit recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also bought one of the MiniLightWands as soon as I found about them -
for a "child" -
me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm just a bit over 2 years old -
and it's still a hit with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rex

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, I think that whatever flashlight that you buy for a baby, make sure that you don't put in fresh batteries in there. Who knows when the kid shines the light directly to her eyes for 10 full minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart sells a "kids" LED flashlight that has red, green, and amber LED's in it. They come in different colors of plastic with a black rubber grip and cost $7.99 It's made by Rayovac, has a liftime warranty (if I recall correct) and runs on 3AAA's but is still plenty larger so as not to choke on it.

I gave one of these lights to the 2yr old son of a friend last Christmas. I later found out that out of all the gifts that Santa left, he only wanted to play with that flashlight.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was an important mention about a lanyard. It's a no no for a child. I put a small lanyard on the Infinity for my grand daughter that she can get over her WRIST.

tech

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys...I really appreciate it.
I would like to see the Walmart light that Slick mentions above, but can't find it on their website.

Of all of the lights people suggested, I am most interested in the PT Attitude and Impact II.

Anyone have opinions between these two?
Or, better yet, sites where I can look at reviews?

T.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't recommend either of those lights for such a young kid, because of their small removable bezels. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the Nightstar is the right thing despite its cost. It's pretty big (won't be that easy to lose), nearly indestructable, never needs batteries, and has NO removable parts (the older version had a removable lens but I think the newer one doesn't--if it does, just remove it before giving the flashlight to the kid). Plus, it's fun to play with!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A word of warning about little kids and the Nightstar: The magnets are VERY strong. As in "ruin the family TV picture tube and erase the videotapes" strong...

Hemingray

Enlightened
A good friend's son just turned 3 years on Saturday, my birthday git was one of the smaller sized "Forever" Lights,
similar to, but cheaper than the "Night Star" light. No batteries, as it uses a magnet and a coil to charge an internal capacitor, and the single white LED isn't too bright, so there is no risk of eye injury. It is far too large to swallow and it has no small loose parts. He was thrilled with it, and his parents liked it too, they were having more fun with it than he was (once they managed to get it away from him).
This "Forever Light" comes in 2 sizes, the smaller is about
2C size, the larger is about 3D, the local vendor was selling either model for $15.00 (He makes the rounds of local flea markets). This one was the translucent model, I figured it would make for a more interesting toy. The smaller size light is also less likely to be used to whack things (or siblings) around.

/ed B in NH