clicky vs twisty

Zorzi

Newly Enlightened
Hello flashaholic friends, I know this is a really old thread, but I gess it is still a relevant one. I don't have a prefered type of switch, I like both and have several flashlights of both types. At first, I tend to think that the twisties are more reliable, due to less moving parts. Currently my main EDC flashlight is a Jetbeam Jet-I Mk, which is a great AA twisty flashlight. But one concern that I have, if the thread anodizing wears out for any reason (lack of lubing, cleaning, care or all of them), then that could render the flashlight useless, at this would cause it to make contact through the threads and stay on all the time. On clickies, on the other hand, you always have the option of replacing the switch. Has anyone ever had this issue with a twisty?

Thank you!!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking, a twisty would be optimal for a light with a really useful set of firefly, low, and medium light levels, with long runtimes and with a design premium on simplicity and reliability;
failing reliability, less parts and easy fixes in random situations i.e. "the field".
A clicky would be most useful when your priority is instant light with one hand, probably not with firefly or low coming in first either.

I've never experienced, and have never heard of thread anodizing wearing until it created a constant on state.
I think the light would fail from moisture and corrosion ingress first, once the O rings were gone and the water and grit were coming in
- to eventually wear down the anodizing.

In a pinch, you can always use the grease that accumulates at the edge of your nose as a thread grease, it's the same quality as whale oil. There's no reason to have dry threads.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
While both types of switches may have pros / cons, I find it quite easy to use even the smallest of twisty switch lights with one hand. You simply hold it against the palm of your hand with your 2nd and / or 3rd finger, and rotate the head with thumb and 1st finger. Pretty simple.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
While both types of switches may have pros / cons, I find it quite easy to use even the smallest of twisty switch lights with one hand. You simply hold it against the palm of your hand with your 2nd and / or 3rd finger, and rotate the head with thumb and 1st finger. Pretty simple.

Perhaps under most circumstances one hand works. Rapid it is sometimes not, especially when in a hurry/stressed. Also for older people who have over-used their fingers, it can be painful or awkward to try to actuate a twist light with one hand.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Clickies have their place. Side switch for example. Twistys have their place. Gas pedal type for example.

I like twistys when absolute reliability is in order and at times use a clicky with lockout like a twisty. But a clicky at the tail end sure is convenient and easy to use.

For some a side switch is best.

My favorite is a slider on the side. One hand ease with a twisty reliability (with regular maintenance of course).

orionlightlight

Newly Enlightened
Twistys also provide the potential for infinite variability, which is better than non customizable modes.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisties for keychain use, because of compactness and resistance to accidental turn ons.

Forward clickies with momentary capability for penlights and small tasklights, because of the ease and rapidity of bringing them into action.

This is exactly how I carry, twisty on the keying (currently Wee SS) and clicky clipped in the lighter pocket (Zebralight SC52D, yes, yes, I know, not a proper clicky).

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another feature of twisties that isn't as common as it should be is that if the light head screws Into the battery tube, then the light is intrinsically water resistant when hanging down.
Same situation with a clicky except there's the switch boot as a point for failure.

Unfortunately many of not most lights have the tube screwing into the head, which means that if the light is hanging down then the only thing keeping water from being channeled directly into the light is the O ring.
L3 Illumination is one brand who makes lights where the head screws into the battery tube.

Last edited:

Zorzi

Newly Enlightened
That is an interesting observation! But I guess that would make the battery tube (and the flashlight as a whole) a little bulkier, wouldn't it?

Toehead

Newly Enlightened
For EDC or typical flashlight use I prefer a clicky with access to the different modes. Of course the simpler the UI the better, I just need an easy way to click through the modes, or dial through the modes like a handfull of lights offer.

For weapons light/tactical flashlight I prefer momentary only with twist on. It is the only way to maintain control over the light. I have a rear clicky and there have been way too many times I've accidentally clicked it on when I didn't want to, would not want that at the wrong situation. I'm a firm believer of having separate EDC and tactical lights.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zorzi, yes at least at the head-tube interface, but it only needs to be a collar, maybe more an issue of cost for a little extra machining than weight, also it might not have been considered as an important design feature; manufacturers going for waterproof ratings not water shedding design.
I've noticed it carrying a AAA twisty as a necklace light for a few years, the Ti3 that I use will absolutely corrode from sweat if the o ring becomes at all compromised, the L3 Illumination L8 won't.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For EDC or typical flashlight use I prefer a clicky with access to the different modes. Of course the simpler the UI the better, I just need an easy way to click through the modes, or dial through the modes like a handfull of lights offer.

For weapons light/tactical flashlight I prefer momentary only with twist on. It is the only way to maintain control over the light. I have a rear clicky and there have been way too many times I've accidentally clicked it on when I didn't want to, would not want that at the wrong situation. I'm a firm believer of having separate EDC and tactical lights.

Well put. Music to my eyes.

Welcome to CPF.