• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Closed 2018 Yuji 5600k High CRI 5mm LED Group Buy Closed

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: 2018 Yuji 5600k High CRI 5mm LED Group Buy OPEN

Yup! That's not a problem. I FINALLY got movement on the 3200 batch coming in, I had forgotten about the Chinese New Year holiday. So, they should be here in a few days.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

THANK YOU SCOUT24.

Now a Yuji'd minimag is not a simple plug-n-play swap, but my dremel has been collecting dust.
Basically a reflector from the minimag spare parts box will be drilled to fit the oversized (compared to stock bulb) LED. And I am supposing some trial and error leg snip/LED bulb placement will need to take place to ensure the best beam practical happens.

The legs are a bit thicker than the bulb legs so I also figure they'll oversize the holes pins are inserted into. Again the parts box will play a roll so if the day arrives that I want to go back to stock (which is unlikely) the mod is reversable.

Best regards Scout.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

And I am supposing some trial and error leg snip/LED bulb placement will need to take place to ensure the best beam practical happens.

Yep. Cut them long, decide if you like it, and cut shorter if desired. If you want it more than a tiny amount raised above the socket, you either need to sand the flange off the LED or make the reflector hole large enough to clear the flange.

Because the Yuji has most of its light within a 45 degree cone, a relatively small amount of light hits the reflector, so I think you'll only get a minimal hotspot. That's how mine is, with the LED seated tight against the socket. It's just enough hotspot to provide a bit more useful distance, but it's nothing like the original incandescent, which casts light all over the entire reflector.

The legs are a bit thicker than the bulb legs so I also figure they'll oversize the holes pins are inserted into. Again the parts box will play a roll so if the day arrives that I want to go back to stock (which is unlikely) the mod is reversable.

I tried to round the LED legs off a bit with sand paper, but it was tedious trying to sand metal that small, so I gave up without much improvement. However, I'm pretty sure even after pulling the LED out and sticking the bipin bulb back in to compare, the bulb was still retained fine.

1pt21

Enlightened

Because the Yuji has most of its light within a 45 degree cone, a relatively small amount of light hits the reflector, so I think you'll only get a minimal hotspot. That's how mine is, with the LED seated tight against the socket. It's just enough hotspot to provide a bit more useful distance, but it's nothing like the original incandescent, which casts light all over the entire reflector.

It's funny you mention that.. I did not heed the warnings given to me, and while drilling out the reflector a bit larger I cracked it. I went ahead and installed it with no reflector at all and the beam is perfect (for me). I do believe that these 5mm LED's do a pretty good job of focusing themselves as you mentioned..

BTW, this was in a 2xAAA minimag, not sure how the 2xAA will fare, but I'll find out soon (I also believe the larger reflector will 'hopefully' be harder to break while enlarging the hole). I do like Byk's idea of using a Dremel, I'd use one of those cone tips with the idea that slow and steady will not only get a perfect fit; but way less likely to break it...

scout24

Flashaholic

Light11- Refresh my memory, how many 3200's did you order? PM me your address, I have new stock, I'll send more your way. Gotta love USPS.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Hadn't thought of the stock bulb staying in place in over-sized holes but... a bit of imagination with bending the stock legs should work nicely.

Thanks for the tip(s) on doing a Yuji'd minimag.

Edit:
A NiteIze reflector takes all the work out and gives you the NiteIze'd adjustable beam
IMG_20180303_170028.jpg

I thought about your post Scout, and pondered how NiteIze had done it. Then thought.... "hmmm what if?"...
Yup, worked like NiteIze knew Scout24 was going to do a group buy for Yuji's someday.
End edit.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Nite Ize minimag upgrade kit comes with a clicky tailcap, a bi-pin module and proprietary reflector.
I just cut the legs of the Yuji to get the same length as the Nite Ize module from the tip of the pins to the base of the LED bulb.

It gave the larger, longer Yuji the same position inside the reflector but being larger it casts more light sideways than the Nite Ize LED bulb. And using the supplied clicky allows one to pick the beam they prefer and leave it there.

I picked a position where the spot was as wide as possible with a 'donut hole' just ever so slightly visible so it now looks a lot brighter than the incan version (although it's not).

This morning I took a page from Scout24's playbook and built a Yuji'd R30.
IMG_20180304_105141.jpg

Remove springs, taking note of where the pins are on your burnt SureFire bulb. The pins are epoxied to the module.
Once the old bulb is unfastened and pushed out, insert the Yuji and bend pins like the SureFire bulb had been. Reinstall springs and viola...

IMG_20180304_105403.jpg

Note: one pin touches the outter spring and the other touches the inner spring.
Have fun.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
With such distinguished company reading this thread, and in light of post#70 by the bykfixer, please allow me to ask:

A long time friend, retired LEO and generous person gave me three new-in-package Laser Products R60 Lamp Assembly for 6v Ni-CD flashlights and Tac Lights. I opened one up tonight and activated it with a pair of ancient (expired 09-14? but still higher than 3V) Surefire SF123A batteries. Even an 18650 will fire it up. A quick search indicates Adorama is out of stock, an old CPF thread says they were phased out pre '14, and the 'sometimes snakepit' eBay has some for sale for $10-$14.

Now for the question: Looks like fun to Yujify that one dropin with one minute runtime on it. Is there a reason I should pass these on to someone who would want such a thing? It is quite a warm beam; not something I go for. Any reason I should hold on to these as a piece of history? Thank you in advance

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good advice. Yes that was the CPF thread that came up from the search.
I have sent a PM to lampe depeche and K2-bk-bl-rd offering each, one of the dropins for free, given that they gave me Yuji emitters a while back (Have no clue if they would be interested). I can wait to build with a burnt out incan dropin and will trade for it. Thanks.

Well, R60 are somewhat uncommon now ... so, myself, I wouldn't destroy one just to mod it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ion-R60-vs-P60&p=654340&viewfull=1#post654340

I think you might be able to find a Surefire collector willing to trade you burned-out P60 lamps for those working R60 :shrug:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Definitely don't destroy the working R60's. Please.

They were set up for longer runtime and to the untrained eye appeared pretty close to 6P's. Ahhhh, but us CPFr's... we do wall shots to test the beam for this or that.

IMG_20180318_193115.jpg

Throw was virtually the same but...
Those other 15 lumens to go from 50 to 65 made the P60 cast more light sideways.
Eventually SureFire stated it was ok to use R60's in the P60 lights like G2 and 6P.

Please, please, please don't murder your R60's.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes sir.
I have not 'modified' the R60 with a Yuji. K2-bk-bl-rd graciously accepted my offer to send him one. He can sell it as he pleases. Our small-town postmaster helped me pack it for shipment: super duper protection! Last time I shipped something out it was a very precious Oveready body to UK, so she is savvy to the ways of us enthusiasts.

The inestimable Lampe Depeche (who gave me some wonderful daylight Yuji's) honestly exclaimed he really did not have a need for one, so I have a new-in-package unit left and will keep the slightly used one. Who knows, maybe there will be a incandescent resurgence like vinyl records has had...

Like archimedes suggested, I will CONUS trade for a burnt-out unit and pay to ship the good one. [this is sooo off topic even though the group buy is closed (shh)]

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing that a member like bykfixer should grace this forum. I sent him a pair of vintage R60 Laser Products Lamp Assemblies, and in return, he sends me this:

(The top bag of emitters is the 5600K Yuji, lower 3200K, and the blue AA Minimag was initially not working. The Nite-Ize upgrade kit reflector has a larger hole for a 5mm LED, and the rear reverse clicky switch is handy. He drilled a hole in the other clicky tailcap to accept a lanyard; nice) (bykfixer would also like us to give a big Thanks to Forum Master scout24 for his expansive community spirit)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bvW3QqFTadAp1SXk2

Both of those Minimags are now sporting Yuji daylight, but after last night's zero dark thirty dog-bladder-relief excursion, thinking maybe a 3200K with ~1.4V old alkalines may be just the ticket for fully night-adapted eyesight.

Bykfixer, you are a scholar, wordsmith and a most amiable gentleman. You may not be the most excellent speller in the world but I am beholden. Just a lot of fun troubleshooting, experimenting and using the mechanically simple incandescent MagLite Minimag. It is so easy to install 5mm emitters. And with two, I can do A-B comparisons. Let me know if you want one back. After some months of experimentation I could be persuaded to be parted with one, to you, I pay shipping.