Poll ~ Collimator Lens vs. Reflector

• The Collimator version

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • The Reflector version

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Optics hands down in most applications, no worrying about artifacts and a nice even beam. A correctly design reflector on the other hand is probably the best option for throw. The UA2s zoom plate technology will be interesting to see how it does it's job.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok:
throw - big smooth reflector is the best
general usage - smaller reflector with average throw and a lot of spill, but for example 8° Cree or Ledil Rocket-SS optics also work well
bike - optics
close range - optics, I have some ledil optics with wide beam and they have super smooth output, really excellent for indoor usage

btw. Fraen announced new FOCUSABLE optics some time ago...

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd take a well designed optic over a reflector.

Optic with spill and a strong hotspot. Focusability can come next.

Yapo

Enlightened
wow i'm surprised...the last time i read i thought i was one of the few that liked optics. i guess the new surefire optics, malkoff m60 and led lenser models have really changed things!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
~ If a light you're planning to buy had an option, of either buying it with a Collimator Lens or a Reflector,
which would you choose and why?
Buy a light instead of making one? Never! At least, not without the intention of modding it. I figure collimators and reflectors both have their uses, and I've used both in the last few weeks.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok:
throw - big smooth reflector is the best

A correctly design reflector on the other hand is probably the best option for throw.

Since this was posted in the LED flashlights section I think its safe to say the reflector vs optic applies to LEDs only. That being the case reflectors can't even come close on throw compared to optics.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this was posted in the LED flashlights section I think its safe to say the reflector vs optic applies to LEDs only. That being the case reflectors can't even come close on throw compared to optics.

Well, I've forgot aspheric lenses. But I don't like the beam they produce. So the big smooth reflector (as in DBS) is still the best for me.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've forgot aspheric lenses. But I don't like the beam they produce. So the big smooth reflector (as in DBS) is still the best for me.
I think I have something that would change your mind. The diffused aspheric on the DEFT creates a creamy smooth throw with more light down beam than a DBS.

Latest posts