• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Confusion about Olight I3S CU / Ti Gold I3S

Capolini

Banned
I got mine a few days ago, impressive output with AAA eneloop. I plan writting a small review with performance charts soon. ;)

:cool:,,,,Look forward to it! COULD YOU RISK USING A 10440 IMR FOR TESTING PURPOSES?!

I am curious as to what the output on High! My guess w/ Efest IMR 10440 IT WOULD BE 530 LUMENS @ 30 SECONDS.:thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned

I went on a little key chain light binge,,I bought 4 of them in a short time. Olight i3E/i3S CU and Two flavors of the Ultratac K18-SS & Aluminum.

First I would like to mention that I have ZERO shelf queens,,,,,,If I buy a light I use it!! Those on V54 threads know of my "Rotation" I have set up! 2 lights,,sometimes 3 a night for my trail hikes w/ Capo my Siberian Husky!

I chose the Ultratac K18 SS as my key chain light,takes 10440 and love the SS and side switch especially.........not my favorite tint[cool,cool white!],can't have everything,,,,,,UNLESS you get modded lights!

Back to the i3S CU.Four years ago I would not have liked the tint. All I knew was cool White,when I first got my S10/S20 I had to get use to warmer/yellower tint,and then the modded road where I converted and enjoy warmer tints 3000k to 5000k.

I like the i3S CU and did not want to leave the wrong impression on another post where I had chosen the K18 as my key chain light.

1.Like the tail stand ability
2.Love the Brass/Titanium laminated covering look!
3.clip is decent
4.Tint is fine w/ me,much better than cool white!
5.run time is good and I have PLENTY of Enloops/10440:naughty: and Alkaline for emergencies.

GUESS WHAT I AM USING IT FOR?! :faint:

1.I use it every night to illuminate my book when I read in bed! Hard to chose b/w the 2L and 20L setting!

2. I also use it to TAIL STAND on my dining room table for early morning breakfast!

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great stories, Capolini. I love your determination to test this thing with Li-ion. I would never have the nerve!

I've got one of these on the way.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
That's a flat top one. For most flashlights isn't a button top a safer bet? [I'm no expert though.]

Technically a FT but a hybrid at that!

They are a RAISED flat tops and work in every AAA light I have put them in.They work in the i3E and i3S CU and both of those lights do NOT have a raised contact at the positive end.

Efest does not make a traditional BT battery for 10440 anymore. Genuine IMR button top batteries are scarce if there are even any. I know Soshine makes protected 10440,,,,they may be too long for some lights and I would NEVER trust these UF/TF type batteries on ebay or amazon!

By no means am I am expert on batteries...........However, I do not think a button top is any safer than a Flat top.:)

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Great stories, Capolini. I love your determination to test this thing with Li-ion. I would never have the nerve!

I've got one of these one the way.

Thanks:),,,,,,,,,It is my curiosity and my addictive anticipation to see a little light so bright!! Thank V54 FOR THAT!:laughing:

As I stated in post # 39 I will be sticking to my Enloops,,,,,,,,,,I do not want to take a chance of ruining the light! I waited 3 weeks for it,a very rare order from China!

turkeylord

Enlightened
Technically a FT but a hybrid at that!

They are a RAISED flat tops and work in every AAA light I have put them in.They work in the i3E and i3S CU and both of those lights do NOT have a raised contact at the positive end.
Agreed. I haven't had any issues. :)

Capolini

Banned
Another thought about the "UI"!

I have numerous modded throwers, THREE[3] of which are single mode direct drive,that is how I PREFER MY MODDED TRAIL LIGHTS!

This is NOT a high powered search light! Like most I wish it was L-M-H. That makes a hell of a lot more sense for a key chain light!

I keep it on my night stand. When I activate this light in the middle of the night and early in the morning,,,,,,I CLOSE MY EYES UNTIL TWO TWISTS WHEN ITS ON LOW[2 LUMENS]!!! I still like this light,,,,,,,,,,I just despise the UI when it is early in the morning! :sigh:

Olightworld

Enlightened
We appreciate the feedback!

Another thought about the "UI"!

I have numerous modded throwers, THREE[3] of which are single mode direct drive,that is how I PREFER MY MODDED TRAIL LIGHTS!

This is NOT a high powered search light! Like most I wish it was L-M-H. That makes a hell of a lot more sense for a key chain light!

I keep it on my night stand. When I activate this light in the middle of the night and early in the morning,,,,,,I CLOSE MY EYES UNTIL TWO TWISTS WHEN ITS ON LOW[2 LUMENS]!!! I still like this light,,,,,,,,,,I just despise the UI when it is early in the morning! :sigh:

Gryffin

Enlightened
After running it incrementally for 5.5 minutes[INITIAL BURST 3 MINUTES UNTIL STEP DOWN] the battery[Efest IMR 10440] WAS @ 2.37V!

I think it's great that some makers are officially supporting 10440s now, if only for the "WOW factor." But from a practical standpoint, we're getting to the point where IMR cells are the only safe way to run 'em, and runtimes aren't much longer than you can hold your breath. :ohgeez:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Have any conclusions about the stated 180 lumens ever been reached? I just got one of these i3ecu XPL from recent amazon lightning sale and its not much brighter/possibly same brightness as i3s xpg-2. tried the alkaline it came with, an energizer max alk, and an eneloop, dont see much differencence, gonna toss in a llithium primary now and take a look

Looks like a little more oomph out of the lithium, and slightly better than the eneloop, but no way is this twice as bright as my standard alum version. maybe its just the bigger hotspot from the xpl? not sure, a ceiling bounce giving a dark room slightly more illumination with the brass, but I really thought it would be much brighter than alum copy

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Lol, this is an old thread...well I call BS on that 180 lumens, I may not have a ton of posts, but I've been a member for a long time and buying lights even longer, have over 40 right now and a ton I have sold or given away, I know what I see, and it aint 180. I do really like the light and got a great price so I can live with it, but don't think it should be rated so high when it clearly is not.

_UPz

Enlightened
WmXHnHS.png

Olightworld

Enlightened
The light actually gets a lot higher than 180 lumens depending on the battery. We have seen analytics that show up to 400-500 lumens with an IMR battery. Also you can see in the graph posted that yes, it is higher than 180.

Lol, this is an old thread...well I call BS on that 180 lumens, I may not have a ton of posts, but I've been a member for a long time and buying lights even longer, have over 40 right now and a ton I have sold or given away, I know what I see, and it aint 180. I do really like the light and got a great price so I can live with it, but don't think it should be rated so high when it clearly is not.