Convoy C8

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone correct me, but direct thermal path means it is screwed directly on the frame of the flashlight instead of on a piece of metal that is attached to the body of the flashlight around the perimeter of the piece of metal. And BLF stands for the 'other forum' Budget Light Forum. And the Clear Convoy C8 I recently purchased is said to have DTP.

Turns out though, this C8 with the really nice tint, the XP-L Hi ~5000K, has about the same throw as my P60 host with a 4.5 Amp dedomed XP-G2 and smooth reflector by Richard at mtnelectronics. Yes there is significantly more light coming from the XP-L and the tint is superior. It's a winner so far.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone correct me, but direct thermal path means it is screwed directly on the frame of the flashlight instead of on a piece of metal that is attached to the body of the flashlight around the perimeter of the piece of metal. And BLF stands for the 'other forum' Budget Light Forum. And the Clear Convoy C8 I recently purchased is said to have DTP.

Turns out though, this C8 with the really nice tint, the XP-L Hi ~5000K, has about the same throw as my P60 host with a 4.5 Amp dedomed XP-G2 and smooth reflector by Richard at mtnelectronics. Yes there is significantly more light coming from the XP-L and the tint is superior. It's a winner so far.

DTP refers to the star the LED is mounted on. The middle pad is electrically isolated from the LED but thermally coupled to the LED.

Example of a DTP board
IMG_8371_zps76cf3e40.jpg

As for the star being soldered or attached with thermal paste that is usually referred to an shelf instead of of the body having a pill.

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
With DTP board and no pill the LED stays a lot cooler, so lumens increase for same current and you can drive higher currents without overheating the LED

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
With DTP board and no pill the LED stays a lot cooler, so lumens increase for same current and you can drive higher currents without overheating the LED
Yep.
when i modded mine, i ordered led/star from one place, and the driver from another. The driver arrived first. The stock led couldnt handle 5-6 A, and turned from the cool/neutral tint, into amost pure blue just after seconds of turbo mode (led was over-overheating). Well the led can handle 5-6A, but not when mounted on that stock non dtp board :)

pjbrendel

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a lot of light for the money. I ordered a Convoy S2 that hasn't arrived yet. With all of the good reviews I think I'll go ahead and order the C8. I've learned a lot just from reading this thread.

stephenk

Enlightened
I just received the Clear (silver) Convoy C8 from GearBest for review. Amazing light, and has the new red driver board, new firmware, and AR glass. Hopefully will have a review ready within a week.

Trango

Newly Enlightened
I just received the Clear (silver) Convoy C8 from GearBest for review. Amazing light, and has the new red driver board, new firmware, and AR glass. Hopefully will have a review ready within a week.

Better be a good review, mine is already on it's way :p

Tulip bush

Enlightened
If I wanted a c8 warm, but with a floodeir beam than the hi led should I go for another led they advertise ( if so which?), or should I go for the hi led and also buy a orange peel reflector?

I would like some throw, but the hi led just seems a bit too much throw and not enough flood for me.....hope this makes sense as I'm not great at putting things into words.

I also find the amazing amount options they give baffling, tint I've got my head around, number of different modes understood, ar coated glass etc, but it's the vast number of c8's that are advised on the same pages that seem the same, but have different prices that baffles me.

Do I go for the c8 clear and also buy a orange peel?.... So I need flood and throw nice tint.....somebody help pick me out what I need please......been told aliexpress and banggood I think.
cheers all.

Trango

Newly Enlightened
If I wanted a c8 warm, but with a floodeir beam than the hi led should I go for another led they advertise ( if so which?), or should I go for the hi led and also buy a orange peel reflector?

I would like some throw, but the hi led just seems a bit too much throw and not enough flood for me.....hope this makes sense as I'm not great at putting things into words.

I also find the amazing amount options they give baffling, tint I've got my head around, number of different modes understood, ar coated glass etc, but it's the vast number of c8's that are advised on the same pages that seem the same, but have different prices that baffles me.

Do I go for the c8 clear and also buy a orange peel?.... So I need flood and throw nice tint.....somebody help pick me out what I need please......been told aliexpress and banggood I think.
cheers all.

You may also consider other Convoy options, the L6 for example has an XHP70 led and OP reflector, is a bit more expensive though, the BD series has a focusing one if you like, and probably there is more
As for buying, from what I saw there are quite a lot of older models around, I would suggest you to buy directly from the producer that has a shop on Aliexpress.
If you decide to go with the C8 I'd suggest the last model (DTP board, AR glass, new firmware,..) is a few $ more but seems worth it (or wait for stephenk to make the review)

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clear Convoy C8 with the new firmware is a nice light: Good combination of strong throw, decent size hotspot with appropriate spill for a compact thrower. It does not overheat with general use (I have not tried to push it) and placing a shockcord lanyard closer to the bezel has resulted in a good hold for cigar grip.

What I did not know before purchasing is that the switch is a reverse clicky, with half presses or quick clicks to advance modes. This is fine for many people but not all who want a momentary option from off.

Our primary use for this type of light is to sometimes quickly be able to bring maximum reach for brief moments to check something out, whether because of interest or concern, in the forest and field. The user interface requires that the quickest way to get to 100% from a lower mode is to have a mode group with 100% first and no last mode memory. To get back to first mode (100%) the switch needs to be held for, what is it, 2 seconds? During that time, the light is dark. 2 seconds is a long time when you are trying to see something quickly. Keeping the light in 100% single-mode solves that issue but rules out using the light for navigation. Using a three-mode group with 100% out the gate and no last mode memory, is another option but then requires quick multiple clicks to get back to 100% if on medium mode...

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened

cheers all.

I have two older style Convoy C8 lights, one in U2-1A and another T6-4C. I also have a Convoy S2+ in T6-3B.

I'd say for a floodier light with good throw, neutral tint, using the C8 host, I'd go with an orange peel reflector with any emitter in a 3B tint, AR coated glass.

stephenk

Enlightened
You may also consider other Convoy options, the L6 for example has an XHP70 led and OP reflector, is a bit more expensive though, the BD series has a focusing one if you like, and probably there is more
As for buying, from what I saw there are quite a lot of older models around, I would suggest you to buy directly from the producer that has a shop on Aliexpress.
If you decide to go with the C8 I'd suggest the last model (DTP board, AR glass, new firmware,..) is a few $ more but seems worth it (or wait for stephenk to make the review)
I can tell you now that review of the clear C8 will be very positive! Just need to take a few outdoor beam shots, so will be a few days.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, you jerks are costing me money!
My Conway L6 hasn't even arrived yet and now I've just bought a C8 with the 3B tint.
Even worse, while on the Conway page at Ali Express I also bought a BD04.
I also have an Acebeam EC60vn on the way, which is CPF's fault too.

I wonder if 4 lights on the way at once is enough . . .

Thom2022

Enlightened
I've just ordered a C8 too from gearbest. XPL-Hi U6-3A with the 7135x8 driver. Super excited but good god does China post take the Royal ****!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Convoy C8 and I just received a Convoy L2, man the L2 is an animal of a light, it has the option of 1 or 2 x 18650/26650. It's appreciably brighter than the C8 too. Ok gotta go, the young'un is calling. Cheers

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L6 arrived yesterday and I must say that it is a really nice light. For a cheaper light the fit and finish is right up there with the top brands, it really looks like you get great value for money from this brand!
I can't wait for my C8 to arrive, if the quality is as good as my L6 then it is a great bargain well worth the price! I paid under US$25 with free shipping, can't complain about that price when looking at how expensive other lights can be.

My C8 has this description: "Clear Convoy C8 with XPL HI LED,copper DTP board and ar-coated inside,new firmware."
Sounds pretty nice, none of my other lights have clear anodising.

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
If you are sick of blue pink or even green tints go for XPL HD V6-3D or XML2 U3-3D really nice tints almost like pure daylight

waynestractor

Newly Enlightened
I got my C8 in the mail a couple weeks ago and finally got out to try it last night, it really is a great light for $22! New Edition Convoy C8 Cree XML2 U2 - 1A 960Lm 7135 x 8 18650 LED Flashlight

- BLACK

Last edited:

Trango

Newly Enlightened
I have the XP-L HI version and must also say that for ~20$ is really a great light!
Manybe they could just rise the price by 0.10$ and include the instructions to program the UI in the box :p

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone wanting a reasonable thrower with good output in a 1 x 18650 light, I can't think of another sub $25 light I'd recommend ahead of this one.
I was able to choose a neutral tint, most other sub $25 lights don't give you a choice of tint and many cheaper lights lie about the output lumens.
I have three Convoy lights (BD04, C8 & L6) and I'd describe them all as great value, no regrets about any of these purchases.

I have an Acebeam EC60vn that has higher output, throws further and came with a holster - but that light wasn't sub $25 or even sub $125 for that matter. It might be a better light but it would be really hard to justify it being better value. At less than 1/6 the money spent the Convoy C8 really isn't all that far behind in real-world performance. If you don't have huge amounts of money to throw around then you should buy a C8, it really is a great light and at under twenty five bucks shipped it is so totally worth buying!