Coronavirus - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you mean me, I chose not to respond for a bunch of reasons.

But regardless how much deficiet spending occured in the past and why, we have never deficiet spent double the annual budget in one fell swoop. That was at round 3. Now before round 4 is spent there is talk of a round 5. Is it necessary? Worth it?
That had nothing to do with my original comment. My original comment was responding to a comment of a member saying "future generations will remember x y z".

I have coworkers who have spouses who are bringing in 2x the amount of $ to sit at home rather than to work. My kids who get out of bed, go to jobs everyday where they face the public are shaking their heads about the fact that their government is simpley printing money for that.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like (to me at least) gov's financial response to COVID-19 is within scope of this thread. There's not an interesting aspect of this pandemic that is apolitical, thus the spirited debate and heated conversation... Otherwise, I'm good.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like (to me at least) gov's financial response to COVID-19 is within scope of this thread. There's not an interesting aspect of this pandemic that is apolitical, thus the spirited debate and heated conversation... Otherwise, I'm good.

Well, I find the the deliberate government coverup of the COVID-19 outbreak by China interesting and apolitical. As more countries are weighing in on this, it will be interesting to see what the global ramifications will be for China's heinous act.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Global population/total deaths from Covid19::

less than 3 deaths per 78,000 people

or

about 5 deaths per 150,000 people

..so what's that percentage?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

covid19 deaths = 0.0033 percent of total world population

perspective.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As of April 21st, 26% of all patients in Detroit nursing homes tested positive for COVID, with a death rate just under 12%. Lots of numbers to see..

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Statistics for the county I live in.

Top-level stats (as of today, 2020-05-07):
  • 872 total confirmed cases
  • 428 active cases
  • 421 recovered cases
  • 23 deaths

Using some hasty Excel-Fu: 0.0983% of the County (population ~887k) has or had the disease or 0.00872 per 100,000. 2.64% of cases or 0.00023 per 100,000 have proven fatal.

The age 40-49 bracket is prime bracket for catching it, however does well for surviving it. Being in the 70-79 and 80+ age brackets those lethality rates of 10.5% and 27.3% don't look so great.

The overwhelming majority of transmission is confirmed case contact (415) combined with local transmission (312).

Case load by municipality seems to be roughly proportional to each city's population with poorer cities looking to have greater case loads per unit population although some larger cities are not fully within the county (Frisco, Carrollton, Plano), muddying the picture.

The cases per Day view suggests that a symptom onset peak occurred on 25 March (56 cases) with a steeper leading tail than the trailing tail. The reporting peak was on 27 March (54 cases) with a less clear pattern of ups and downs afterwards.

Hospitals are reporting 41.6% total bed occupancy and 42.6% ICU occupancy. Ventilators are at 15.08% utilization.

Personal TL;DR : if you're going to be hospitalized in Denton County, now isn't automatically a terrible time.

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you mean me, I chose not to respond for a bunch of reasons.

But regardless how much deficiet spending occured in the past and why, we have never deficiet spent double the annual budget in one fell swoop. That was at round 3. Now before round 4 is spent there is talk of a round 5. Is it necessary? Worth it?
That had nothing to do with my original comment. My original comment was responding to a comment of a member saying "future generations will remember x y z".

I have coworkers who have spouses who are bringing in 2x the amount of $ to sit at home rather than to work. My kids who get out of bed, go to jobs everyday where they face the public are shaking their heads about the fact that their government is simpley printing money for that.

It's not an exact science to shotgun gobs of cash across the US. Some will get more than then need, some less. But there was not time to do a more precise job.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I find the the deliberate government coverup of the COVID-19 outbreak by China interesting and apolitical.

Sadly, many in the media and Washington already abhor calling the pandemic "Chinese," instead noting that it is "global." Some elites hold up the Wu-Han lock down as praiseworthy.

China is a powerful country with a powerful lobby in the US. They own so much of our debt, manufacturing, pharma, media, higher education, etc that holding them accountable will be expensive and painful; many will not have the stomach for that.

The success of impending legislation will tell us if this is bipartisan.

I hope it is.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Lion504- Not even from a holding them accounable point of view, but from a "pc" perspective: We have no problem calling the Spanish flu of 1918 what it was based on origin. Had no problem with that for 102 years. I wonder why the public distaste for Chinese or Wuhan flu? It's where it originated.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Everybody who contracts covid-19 will die.
Everybody who does not contract covid-19 will die.

Each of us realizes we will die some day but spend our lives pretending that isn't the case. For if we did not we would remain paralyzed our whole lives trying to prevent it.

Yesterday one of my retired coworkers stopped by the project to say hello. He instinctively stuck his hand out to shake it. I replied "if you aint scared, I aint scared". He's 78 years young and stays pretty isolated. We talked about things and he went on his way. We did bump elbows at his departure though.

Another fellow had on latex gloves to rub some concrete on a damaged section of concrete pipe to patch it. When he removed his gloves he pulled the second one off inside of the first one like a nurse or doctor would. I remarked about that to him and he said he was an EMT in his spare time. He indicated he was not afraid to be around people right now but instead is more afraid that if everybody sterilizes everything, wears masks and gloves all the time they will get sick from something else due to no germs reaching their immune systems due to all of the disinfecting they do. He said as long as he doesn't live in New York, New Jersey or Massechussetts he aint afraid.

The take away from both people was yeah, this thing is serious but we're all going to die someday so why not live life until then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts