Coronavirus - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Am i the only one who uses hand cleaner before they go in store?
Raggie,
I usually wear gloves when I go into the store, then use the sanitizer wipes at the front of the store to wipe the handle fo the cart, and my hands after touching the cart. I then use the wipes to open freezer doors, and sometimes to select packages.
When I get back into my car I use sanitizer.
When I get home, I sanitize the outside package of any food I am going to put away right away.
Frozen Pizzas are removed from their boxes, and put into the freezer. I open the box, and my grandson removes the pizza, and puts it into the freezer.

Overall, we use a sterile technique as much as is reasonable. Although, that which is reasonable today is not the same as what was reasonable 5 months ago.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If people had been this cautious in 2017-2018 for the flu we could have possibly saved 60000+ people. Last year we could have saved 30000+ Hmmmm.

Globally 700000+ people

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
If people had been this cautious in 2017-2018 for the flu we could have possibly saved 60000+ people. Last year we could have saved 30000+ Hmmmm.

Globally 700000+ people
I always been careful for A decade or more

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing how many people ignore the flu every year knowing how many people it kills. This new kid on the block comes along and people take a long hard look at their hygiene and start using "preventative measures" to keep themselves and others safe. Covid-19 is deadly no doubt and I'm not downplaying it at all. It's just amazing that so many people ignore the flu each year. I'm pretty much just thinking at loud reading this thread and looking at numbers/articles. Wasn't directed at you.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never thought much about the flu until I got it. It was rough. Now I get a flu shot every year.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It's amazing how many people ignore the flu every year knowing how many people it kills. This new kid on the block comes along and people take a long hard look at their hygiene and start using "preventative measures" to keep themselves and others safe. Covid-19 is deadly no doubt and I'm not downplaying it at all. It's just amazing that so many people ignore the flu each year. I'm pretty much just thinking at loud reading this thread and looking at numbers/articles. Wasn't directed at you.

The problem is your thinking about "saving" lives doesn't account for the fact that people getting sick trains their bodies to fight off things better than if they avoid them entirely. I recall hearing long ago about a woman that was talking to a doctor that her kids were always getting sick and he found out she was constantlly sanitizing everything and told her have her kids eat dirt. When I was young it was common for children to get the mumps and chicken pox and when one of the kids got it people would take all their kids over to that house and purposely infect their children with it to get it over with making them immune to it.
Basically people today have it right those who are at risk when there is flu are the ones that need to do the distancing and sanitizing and avoiding while the rest of us need to be out there living normal lives not in fear and when we get sick it "helps" our body get stronger and stronger against viruses and flus out there which actually HELPS those with weak immune systems as when we are strong we don't get sick and pass it on to them, but when we all hide and don't get strong immune systems by avoiding bugs then we are nowhere near the herd with immunity that protects the weak but rather we are the weak too.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pleasant story from the United Kingdom, Captain Tom Moore (Retired) asked for sponsorship from the public to do a 100th Birthday walk, he wanted to raise £500,000 for the National Health Service to help protect NHS Staff, patients and volunteers.

To date he has raised £32,796,485 (over $40m) he has been made an honorary Colonel. He received thousands of 100th Birthday cards from all over the world and today it has been announced that he is to be Knighted by the Queen.

9ef1c27e-7af7-42f6-b117-74b0aee9f6a1.jpg

Well done Sir Tom!!​

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pleasant story from the United Kingdom, Captain Tom Moore (Retired) asked for sponsorship from the public to do a 100th Birthday walk, he wanted to raise £500,000 for the National Health Service to help protect NHS Staff, patients and volunteers.

To date he has raised £32,796,485 (over $40m) he has been made an honorary Colonel. He received thousands of 100th Birthday cards from all over the world and today it has been announced that he is to be Knighted by the Queen.

<picture removed>

Well done Sir Tom!!
That is a nice story. Also in Germany the news in TV were talking about him a few weeks ago. He is a really great person... :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

We all may think about the time after corona and better stay together, work together, be good neighbours and friends instead of fighting against each other.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cool story Dave.
At first I thought well heck yeah Captain Tom made it after all but then it occured to me it was Major Tom calling ground control……

I totally get the pen thing too Greta. I used to work for an engineer who would grab any ole pen from anywhere laying around to sign a document then throw a temper tantrum because it skipped at first. He would look at me and say "you have a good pen, let me borrow it please". I often wondered why he never kept a good pen on his person. A very stubborn man he was. One day I realized another engineer (John) would try a pen out and if it skipped would leave it in a conspicuous location knowing Bob would grab it and use it at some point. Then rant and rave about lousy pens for an hour. (see Bob & John stories in the once upon a time thread).

I've always kept a good writing pen nearby. I have good writing pens stashed throught my home since I know the one good one in the pen cup is going to get gone someday. Those $2 ones at the Staples checkout counter are actually pretty good pens. But now that the corona is going around it is even more important to have a personal pen. At one testing center near me, when you sign the form they tell you to keep the pen. But in that same vein, during cold and flu season when someone hands you a doc to sign and a pen I say "nawp, I got my own thank ya".

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is your thinking about "saving" lives doesn't account for the fact that people getting sick trains their bodies to fight off things better than if they avoid them entirely. I recall hearing long ago about a woman that was talking to a doctor that her kids were always getting sick and he found out she was constantlly sanitizing everything and told her have her kids eat dirt. When I was young it was common for children to get the mumps and chicken pox and when one of the kids got it people would take all their kids over to that house and purposely infect their children with it to get it over with making them immune to it.
Basically people today have it right those who are at risk when there is flu are the ones that need to do the distancing and sanitizing and avoiding while the rest of us need to be out there living normal lives not in fear and when we get sick it "helps" our body get stronger and stronger against viruses and flus out there which actually HELPS those with weak immune systems as when we are strong we don't get sick and pass it on to them, but when we all hide and don't get strong immune systems by avoiding bugs then we are nowhere near the herd with immunity that protects the weak but rather we are the weak too.

Oh no. I'm with you 10000000% I don't understand everyone else's thinking on the matter.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck to everyone. There's so much bad information everywhere this is getting even more ridiculous than it already was.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Eh, just keep it tuned to the CPF corona virus thread (part two) for action, intrigue, false data and corrections to said false data.
Leave it to a bunch of flashlight nuts to get the real truth out. No fake lumens here. No fake news here. Just as it should be.

And just to clear up a matter, it is still unknown if you can recatch covid-19. Some say those getting it a second time were not completely rid of it the first time. Some speculate it has already mutated while others figure it's just a case where some become immune and others do not. It is still too soon to know right now.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I've been carrying two pens for years; my Parker plus a loaner - so if someone asks, they're not using my personal one. :)

[...] it is still unknown if you can recatch covid-19. Some say those getting it a second time were not completely rid of it the first time. Some speculate it has already mutated while others figure it's just a case where some become immune and others do not. It is still too soon to know right now.
Adding the factor of unreliable testing (primarily false positives in this case, but false negatives do seem to be occuring as well), is another reason to be skeptical of the reinfection.

Normal flu is also circulating, and symptoms of that plus a false positive test would easily initiate this narrative. I have no opinion either way, just healthy skepticism.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been following Dr John Campbell's daily updates on YouTube and he reports on medical data regarding the progress of the Covid19 pandemic.

The latest info about infected people not getting it again has come from a South Korean medical report where they have established that people that are being tested weeks after having the virus and testing positive again are not contagious and do not have symptoms, it appear that the tests are showing the remains of non functioning virus.

The virus is still so new that new data is becoming available all of the time, this is confusing because a search of the internet will display all data not just the latest.

Dr Campbell is not a professional broadcaster and does occasionally make mistakes when reading things out but if you follow what he is saying you understand if he's slipped up.

In his words "It is brilliant news".

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some restrictions are being eased in Spain, we have been in lockdown for 10 weeks this weekend.

On Monday we moved to Stage 1 in our province (County), we can now go out for pleasure not just for food, collecting medication from the pharmacy or visit the Doctors.

Social distancing is still required and as of tomorrow wearing of masks will be compulsory in all public places, indoor and outdoor, where 2m spacing cannot be maintained. Masks are also compulsory on all public transport.

Today I took my bike out for the first time in 10 weeks, to go and have new tyres fitted, and as soon as I got off the mountain and onto some decent tarmac I was grinning like a cheshire cat!!!

The staff at the tyre centre weren't wearing masks or gloves, neither were the delivery drivers that kept arriving. I stayed outside the premises and shaded under a weeping fig until the tyres were changed.

They did have alcohol gel on the counter, which I made use of after having to entering my pin number into the card machine, also gave my key and fob a liberal coating as the staff had handled that.

Things are definitely not going to be back to normal for some time.

49916909047_022a953f09_c.jpg

I took the scenic route home!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.