Could you recommend a simple flashlight for a 70+ year old Grandmother?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always happy to hear when someone new appreciates flashlights! If you want to grab a couple more low cost lights for her Home Depot has the 2AA Rayovac Indestructable for $9.97. They also have the Defiant 4AA Handy Lantern for $9.97. The Handy Lantern is not in the class of the highly regarded Seige of course, but it is not bad for ten bucks.

Keitho

Enlightened
Hey, if she's excited by lights and is impressed with high output, spring for a $40 Emisar D4! Before you give it to her, maybe set the thermal regulation pretty low so it doesn't ever get too hot, and throw in a $4 18650 charger. She might not like it, or might not like charging batteries rather than buying alkalines, or might not like the press-and-hold to change brightness; but, it sounds like there is at least a small chance she'll love it. Worth a $40 bet, in my mind...

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember that unless she uses these lights a whole heck of a lot, they will probably be sitting around with partially drained batteries. That's probably the worst situation for alkalines one can find. Lithium cells would be the way to go. If they aren't easily available where she lives at least go with high end alkalines. I bought my dad a 2D Maglite which he kept on a shelf by the door. I doubt whether he ever used up the first set of batteries. I'll never know, since they ruined the insides of the light to the point I couldn't even get the tail cap off.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update. Good stuff. I love the excitement in your posts and that you bought that extra one....

Lithium batteries are starting to come down in price. Keep your eyes peeled for 8-12 packs in stores for 4 pack prices lately.

I use Rayovac E-cells for C and D lights but definitely consider replacing alkalines with lithiums if you can swing it.

tomzarbo

Newly Enlightened
Little update:
As I mentioned before, my wife's mom wanted another flashlight or two to take back to DR when she goes back in February. The additional LED flashlight as well as the lantern went back to NYC with some family members after Thanksgiving, and of course, when you're 70 something years old, you don't wait to open presents. :) She told my wife that she loves them... the lantern especially. I actually did order one for us around here, not that we loose electric at all, but I often am up early in the morning and don't want to bother my wife's sleep by turning on the light switch, so I'll justify it that way. :)

They really do loose power in DR quite often... Rolling blackouts are common in the summer, and she actually really needs a non AC light to be safe there. Thanks for the reminder that the batteries may go funny before they wear out, good point... especially with LED lights which are so efficient and may not drain the battery for months and months of normal use. She uses it so often that hopefully they will drain before leaking.

Hey John, just looked at that Nebo Poppy light, pretty cool! That would have been a good choice too. The Emisar D4 looks like a nice light also. Lots of bright for low dollars, that's kind of amazing.

Well, that's all for now, I assume I'll be picking up a few more for her relatives over there soon enough. :)

TomZ