CPF UK - AND NOW THE 2018 PARTY STARTS!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too - 16th or 23rd.

Had a google explore - nice views - maybe we should try to get a sunset there?

Did you have a chance at finding a pub/restaurant nearby - or do we want to eat in Brighton/Hove etc. Maybe we should find a good pub near a local dogging site to please Petrev?

BTW - has anybody sent Petrev or Tofty details yet?

Also - dropped my Firstlight MaxPro yesterday onto the tiled bathroom floor - seemed ok but half an hour later it was bloody hot in my pocket - put it into the garden to cool off - then tried two new CR123A cells in it - they began to get very hot even though the light was not functioning - so I suspect a internal short and it might be DOA! Much sadness. Will try and contact them for a repair.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 23rd is looking the best one for me.

Lee, any update on your FirstLight? I'm surprised it didn't survive the drop.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for asking, Sub.

At the risk of being off topic. I emailed Firstlight and they said to send it back to them for a check up.

I think one of the two CR123As in there went into reverse charge and heated up the circuits. The inside of the battery tube is now very pale blue, either by the heat, or by emitted gasses from the hot cell. Neither cell was ruptured when I unscrewed the tailcap, but the one closest to the 'head' was very slightly enlarged around the button.

They were new batteries, only replaced a week before this happened (previous set were probably in there a year). But I think I'm lucky that I noticed it became so hot and also that the cells didn't "vent-with-flame" causing a small L-shaped pipe bomb to go off in my trousers (Oooer, missus!).

I'll send it back with a covering note, but I think it's had its last flash! If they concur, I think I might stop using two CR123A cell torches.

Back on topic - 23rd looks good!

remoteneeded

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the late reply, it's been an 'interesting' few days... (Not in a good way). Right, the 23rd is doable for me, and possibly the 16th at a push.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right! 23rd it is then.

There wasn't a pub close to the viaduct so I'll have a look on Google for somewhere to eat in the area.

Andy, you happy to make a day of it in Brighton if I pick you up on the way? Anyone else going to meet us in Brighton to hang out before shipping up to the viaduct?

I have a couple of new things. I got one of the tiny Rofis TC1 lights that is touch control. I like the way the touch panel is backlit and 'breathes' at you, slowly dimming and brightening. Think they got the idea from Apple?

Gutted to see that Nitecore don't make the Tini in aluminium anymore. I think it is the only light I ever had that I prefer the lighter aluminium version over the heavier steel version.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right! 23rd it is then.

There wasn't a pub close to the viaduct so I'll have a look on Google for somewhere to eat in the area.

Andy, you happy to make a day of it in Brighton if I pick you up on the way? Anyone else going to meet us in Brighton to hang out before shipping up to the viaduct?

I have a couple of new things. I got one of the tiny Rofis TC1 lights that is touch control. I like the way the touch panel is backlit and 'breathes' at you, slowly dimming and brightening. Think they got the idea from Apple?

Gutted to see that Nitecore don't make the Tini in aluminium anymore. I think it is the only light I ever had that I prefer the lighter aluminium version over the heavier steel version.

I saw those ones you linked to were plastic. Haven't seen the steel versions. Have you tried the "TUP" yet - I'll bring mine along.

Meeting up in Brighton is probably a good idea. Breakfast on the Prom? Must be a few nice greasy spoons down there.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, Tini's were never plastic, they just look like it with the colours they did them in.

Oh, I love a greasy spoon breakfast.

And there is always the mini golf on the seafront.

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Andy, an extra hour in the company of friends is only a positive in my book. The offer stands if you want a lift"

Opps! I did of course mean 'Richard' there. (Just noticed!). I'm sure Andy wouldn't mind the extra detour.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee, your story reminded me of that chap a few years ago in Singapore who had a multi-cell light go pop. Unfortunately it went pop on his balcony and shot through the gap in the barrier. It fell a number of floors onto the glass roof of the building atrium leaving it with a large crack and even larger repair cost. Don't think he ever posted back to say if the building insurance covered it. No matter how bad it is, it could always be worse.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay, was that the story with pictures of his bleeding hand and fragments of CR123A cells burnt out? Yes, memory of that account flashed through my mind just before I looked down at my uncomfortably/unaccountably/infuriatingly hot torch, wrenched open the french windows and threw the whole thing to the far corner of the garden. (The torch, not the windows!!!!)

I've been thinking about sending this torch back to first light - I'm not too sure I want to. Lots of shipping and customs charges and they my not even offer to repair it. Maybe I can do without and keep on using my single cell lights...

Mind you, if I'd used a 17670 in it instead, maybe this wouldn't have happened?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone still on for the 23rd ?

I didn't look at places to eat yet so I'll do that this week however, I did pick up some meet mementoes along the lines of Lee's beer glasses (don't get too excited).

So who is up for making it a full day out in Brighton ?

Andy, PM me and we'll arrange a meting point for me to pick you up.

Eating: Pub, Indian, any preferences ?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly still in my calendar.

In the morning I'll be in an old chalk pit updating my 4x4 Response off-road training record, so won't be able to join any all-dayers. It will be more of an afternoon onwards timing for me, I'll have to find you where I find you.

Is everyone using whatsapp? Might it be worth us setting up a group to stay in touch on the day? (No more 'Tofty in the next pub along the pier' type things.)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Andy @BLUE_LED can add Andy @Remoteneeded to the new Whatsapp group, that would be fab :)

For those not yet up to date, I really do think a whatsapp group is going to work wonders. Gowan, gowan, gowan get it.

Although not as good, perhaps a facebook messenger group, but if you haven't got whatsapp, you might not have messenger either. Come on tecchy people.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have Facebook messenger, BTW. But I will send you Remote's details.

In other news - Tofty will be joining us (Hooray) but he's not on What'sApp either.

So - meeting in Brighton for lunch, then off to the Viaduct, then pub, then home?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a plan. I did think perhaps lunch in Brighton, wander around, do stuff, then at around 4.30 set off to Devils Dyke for a drink and sunset for a couple of hours, then North to the Viaduct. Sunset is around 5.40 so arriving at the viaduct 7ish should be dark enough. and then book pub for around 8. What do you think ? Can always change plans during the day.

Or could just eat in the Devils Dyke pub and go to viaduct a bit later...