CPU "hog" program in Vista?

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
(This is not a jab at Vista.)

I fixed a laptop for a friend of my wife. Someone had stepped on the keyboard and bent it and parts below it. The shroud surrounding the fan was bent and the fan couldn't rotate. So I unbent it as best as I could and then the fan spun freely. After a little testing I put it back together and it seemed fine then started scraping. I assume it was because the laptop heated up and the fan tried to speed up (perhaps lifting it on it's bearings).

So I unbent it some more and now I'm testing it again. I'm trying to find a program that is built into Vista Premium that uses a lot of CPU power so that the fan will speed up. Right now I'm running iTunes with the full screen visualizer turned on with no effect (on speeding it up).

Is there any other built in program I could try? (I do have it plugged into the wall so the CPU is running at full speed, not battery speed.) I don't really want to hook it up to the internet and download stuff so I'm hoping for something that is built-in.

Thanks - Greg

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a test program that would run the CPU 100% and I think if you Google you may find some programs that will do this. I also have found using a somewhat older browser - say a year old and going to a page that has Flash running it will crank the CPU up to near 100%. I found 4sevens still has some pages on his new web site that do this. His home page at 4sevens.com was doing that when he first set it up but I told him about it and he fixed it however recently I hit another page on the site that was still doing that on my system. I'd hear the fan speed up almost as soon as the page loaded and I have a CPU monitor in my task bar that went full tilt. However I'm not sure if it will do that under Vista since I refuse to run that OS. Number crunching programs may do this as well as brute force password crackers and similar programs.

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the good idea.

I'm watching the Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial on microsoft.com which is using 60% CPU. iTunes is using about 20% and the other programs I'm running (Word, Adobe reader, etc.) have me up to 97%.

The fan still sounds good so I think my second repair was a success.

Greg

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
A while ago I just opened up the calculator and typed in a number and kept on squaring it until it took several minutes to calculate. It used 100% that time. But that was a while ago, they may have something built in so that it stops it when it gets to a certain percentage.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enter the BIOS setup when you power on. It will run the CPU at 100%. At least all I've looked at do that.

Well that was true before hyperthreading and dual cores. I suppose it only runs the CPU at 50% now.

Last edited: