easiest food to grow in the summer.? in the southern usa?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i stuck up on chicken quarters when in sale there in alabama but i try to buy 30 pounds atva time when kn sale for 59 cents a pound i use them in chilli and etc etc

PewPewPew

Newly Enlightened
Jerusalem Artichokes are native to North America, grow in all soil types, and typically will resow without any extra effort from your part. Also provide more produce per acre than potatoes. It also doesn't look like a typical food crop, so you can just plant them and forget about them until you want to dig some up to eat.

TPA

Enlightened
Tomatoes...by far. Quite a few of my neighbors have them growing and back before the hurricane I had a few neighbors who were growing them on their condo balconies with ease. One of my neighbors used to ask for my rabbit's 'fertilizer' for her plants and wow did they grow great.

I would strongly advise NOT buying food at any .99 cent store or Dollar Store. Stick to the supermarket.
This guy made a whole YouTube series about eating from the Dollar Tree: https://www.youtube.com/@TheWolfePit

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Where are the videos of him getting his stomach pumped? 😉
(Hey, I get it; prices are insane. Find the nearest Aldi, bring a quarter with you. Save a ton of money.)

TPA

Enlightened
Oh, I also forgot -- hot peppers! I have bunch of Thai red chili peppers growing next to my front door. I don't even bother to water them and they grow great and taste fantastic.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

easiest food to grow in the summer.? in the southern usa?

Crickets, mealworms and soldier fly larvae are healthy and rich in protein and fat.
Marxists offer to manufacture food directly from poo (the party elite will eat the marble beef, of course). Why don't you offer that one?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marxists offer to manufacture food directly from poo (the party elite will eat the marble beef, of course). Why don't you offer that one?

Another source easily found online:

Over 2 billion people are estimated to eat insects on a daily basis. Globally, more than 2,000 insect species are considered edible, though far fewer are discussed for industrialized mass production and regionally authorized for use in food.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats why im trying to buy land lol but i found out im to poor to do so lol

Poppy

Flashaholic
Good luck with your garden RAggie, I hope it works out for you.
I grew a garden one year in raised beds. Unfortunately for me I have allergies, and the weeding of the beds made it a chore. I grew radishes, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, eggplant and squash.

My wife wouldn't eat any of it because she was concerned about cats in the neighborhood may have used the beds as a litter box. By the time the tomatoes were ready to harvest, they were being sold so inexpensively at the market that they weren't worth the effort.

A few years back my son decided to grow some peppers and tomatoes. He watched them grow daily, and just as they became ripe for picking, some deer came by and ate them.

They said thank you by leaving some fertilizer.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Good luck with your garden RAggie, I hope it works out for you.
I grew a garden one year in raised beds. Unfortunately for me I have allergies, and the weeding of the beds made it a chore. I grew radishes, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, eggplant and squash.

My wife wouldn't eat any of it because she was concerned about cats in the neighborhood may have used the beds as a litter box. By the time the tomatoes were ready to harvest, they were being sold so inexpensively at the market that they weren't worth the effort.

A few years back my son decided to grow some peppers and tomatoes. He watched them grow daily, and just as they became ripe for picking, some deer came by and ate them.

They said thank you by leaving some fertilizer.
ironicaly while reading ya reply my nose driped on keyboard lol man all that yard work last few days is kicking my butt.. ive had issues since i moved here lol. will try taking meds ina minute

TPA

Enlightened
Um...where do you think human waste ends up? Seriously, some sewage plants' waste gets taken to fertilizer factories where it's mixed with animal waste, then sold to farmers to spray onto crops for human consumption.

In prior times, this might not have been a bad idea, but with modern pharmaceuticals, it's a VERY bad idea.

bridgman

Enlightened
Peppers take forever to grow and the gophers end up getting most before harvest.
We did find that hotter peppers tended to have less animal damage. For the last few years we have been growing a mix of Thai bird chilis and Habanero / Scotch Bonnet peppers... typically once or twice a year we find that an animal pulled a single pepper off the plant, took a single bite and left it on the ground.

It would be worth some time and money to get a video of that :)

TPA

Enlightened
We did find that hotter peppers tended to have less animal damage. For the last few years we have been growing a mix of Thai bird chilis and Habanero / Scotch Bonnet peppers... typically once or twice a year we find that an animal pulled a single pepper off the plant, took a single bite and left it on the ground.

It would be worth some time and money to get a video of that :)
It depends on the animal. My first rabbit was a rescue and she was a complete jerk. One day she decided to start chewing on the baseboards. She wasn't taking NO for an answer, so I put hot sauce on where she was chewing. The damn rabbit started LICKING the hot sauce off the baseboards. Tears were coming out of her eyes and she was sneezing and sniffing, but she licked it clean...then started chewing again.

Then again, this is the same rabbit that attacked my neighbor's Doberman and actually won. She saw the dog when we opened the door, put her ears back, growled loudly at him, then ran underneath him and started attacking his Achille's tendon. She was the Monty Python rabbit.

It depends on the animal. My first rabbit was a rescue and she was a complete jerk. One day she decided to start chewing on the baseboards. She wasn't taking NO for an answer, so I put hot sauce on where she was chewing. The damn rabbit started LICKING the hot sauce off the baseboards. Tears were coming out of her eyes and she was sneezing and sniffing, but she licked it clean...then started chewing again.

Then again, this is the same rabbit that attacked my neighbor's Doberman and actually won. She saw the dog when we opened the door, put her ears back, growled loudly at him, then ran underneath him and started attacking his Achille's tendon. She was the Monty Python rabbit.
How'd she taste? Did the hot pepper spice come through? 😁

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, tomatillo, and pole beans.
Get hierloom tomatoes, buy the pepper seedlings, and start the cucumbers and beans (blue lake stringless) directly in the ground. Only grow one tomatillo plant; they'll start looking like a bush and soon you'll have more than you know what to do with.