Cr123 vs AA flashlights

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup distinct dots incl full off cycles (true PWM) and blurry are at least partially on.

I think the Quark used for that photo was rather old (5+yrs?) and modded - judging by the tint, it's probably my N219 Quark. You usually don't see that much oscillation noise a quark beam. I wouldn't generalize off that sample.

As mentioned earlier whine can be also be sample specific - I just tested 2 new Quarks (for output and current draw) and they were both silent on 1 Eneloop or 14500. But I have one you can hear whine from a few feet away, and similarly loud S15. But otherwise whine is of little concern and more of a hearing test device than anything noticeable in normal use.

Can't answer on CR123s, I only just started using them when I got the HDS, and I really only use 16340s in it.

steeps

Newly Enlightened
HDS does not use PWM, nor do modern Zebralights AFAIK (my SC52 does not) - although an early H51w taught me all about slloowww PWM, and that was like dropping a tab of acid ;).

My issue with PWM is that, after that ZL, I learned how to easily see it with the naked eye, and now can't stop seeing it. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. Still, one of my favorite lights uses it, but is of a high enough frequency that I can't see it. I find the MDC rather slow. PWM doesn't give me epileptic fits or anything, it's just an unnatural visual effect that makes me do double-takes... annoying when you can't avoid seeing it.

As far as battery versatility and availability is concerned, I could care less around home. We've had a number of week-long power outages and My home is well stocked with primaries, rechargeables, solar panels (as most CPF members are), and an RV generator. But I'm an ultra-light commuter/traveler type (air travel, backpacking, train commuting, EDC, etc) and prefer not lugging around many spare batts. The few times I was worried about lighting (eg, backpacking partner's light failure, and trapped in NYC during 2003 Northeast Blackout, both away from home) we had enough flashlights, and enough batteries, just not the right type of batteries for the remaining flashlights (or perhaps just lacking good battery-MacGyver skills). So now my EDC/travel lights (the only important ones) run many/any batteries, and in a real pinch, I like the option to cannibalize the powerful cell from my flashlight to recharge my smartphone, and then run the light from any lesser scavenged or bought cell.

Do you have a link to what you're carrying now and how you MacGyver it?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i like that they can be thinner, but..

i love the smell of lithium in the morning.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't really explain it. They have an odor to me. I have them in a plastic storage container, but it is not the container I smell. Even when I put in a new battery, you can smell where the old one was in the flashlight. This is the only box I've ever bought. Have others not experienced the same thing?

I love that smell! Probably really bad for you.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I love that smell! Probably really bad for you.

Me too.

Eh, probably no worse than chasing the mosquito spraying truck when I was a little kid or painting model cars in non ventilated rooms.... 'cept for my 6 toe'd kids being born blind I don't see any reason to be concerned...

Eh, just kidding. I do like the smell but don't get all up close and huff it. I always wondered if it's vented gas or just the normal smell... like new cars or fresh mowed grass...

terjee

Enlightened
I do like the smell but don't get all up close and huff it. I always wondered if it's vented gas or just the normal smell... like new cars or fresh mowed grass...

Tiny amount of ethers from evaporated electrolyte, in normal situations, well below workplace hazard limits. Also, you can smell this from a few ppm, so it's tiny amounts even if you can detect them. But you know, if you have them in a box, don't stick your nose in the box and inhale deeply. ;-)

pipspeak

Enlightened
Hey guys, is there any real advantage to using a AA battery flashlight apart from the availability of the battery?

Interesting debate. IMO, no, but availability of the battery is a huge deal. Eneloops, lithiums, or just plain old Duracells when in the middle of nowhere make the AA format insanely flexible and I always have some in my bag for other gadgets. Pretty much the only flashlight I ever take when traveling is my Zebralight unless I know I'll need something with more grunt, in which case a 2xCR123/18650 light is my preference.