Cree XHP70.3 HI 9050 questions

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I'm itching to buy a new torch, but this is the only high CRI emitter available. I'm tempted to get it in 5000K since it's my favourite CCT, but being Cree being Cree, I'm wary of the well documented and infamous tint lottery. I definitely don't want a green light (or streetlight-yellow in warmer colour temps) again.

If anyone has experience with this LED, would you mind sharing? How it behaves, how the tint looks both on a white wall and in real use, its synergy with reflectors, etcetera. Any informed input is welcome and will weigh in on my decision.

TIA, y'all!

Last edited:

iacchus

Enlightened
I have one, but N=1 isn't going to do you much good.
Also, not really a white wall hunter, so not going to be able to give you too much there, either.

Its in a ZL SC700d Hi. 5000k
Pleasant light, performs well. Tint is fine, but haven't checked it w/ my Opple. That light is an outdoors unit, so anything I really have to say about it would be more about the performance of the light than the LED itself.
That said, I have no issues with it whatsoever. Maybe I just got lucky? Or maybe several other things.
Can't really generalize from a single data point.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I have one, but N=1 isn't going to do you much good.
Also, not really a white wall hunter, so not going to be able to give you too much there, either.

Its in a ZL SC700d Hi. 5000k
Pleasant light, performs well. Tint is fine, but haven't checked it w/ my Opple. That light is an outdoors unit, so anything I really have to say about it would be more about the performance of the light than the LED itself.
That said, I have no issues with it whatsoever. Maybe I just got lucky? Or maybe several other things.
Can't really generalize from a single data point.
Thanks a bunch! Like I said, any input at all from an informed flashaholic is appreciated, though it will be taken with a minor grain of salt.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite the same, but I do have a light with an XHP 50.3 hi 9050 in 4000k, and it has a pretty pleasant tint. Slightly green, but you can only see that when you're looking at it side-by-side with a pink emitter. More of a neutral yellow.
IMG_1625.jpeg

This is shot on an iPhone, so not perfect, but it does have white balance and exposure locked. This is 1950 lm.
It's very nice. If it's any consolation, I have a Nichia 519a 5700k, that is greener than the Cree.

grinsefalle

Enlightened
I have a Wurkkos TS22 with the HHP70.3 HI 5000k 90CRI. The beam out of this small flashlight is quite floody, but really beautiful. Out of this small reflector it is very usable for small to medium distances. The light ist neutral white, just like I wanted it, has a high CRI and no visible tint shift between the different modes. A green tint is not visible to my eyes.
In my opinion this is a really good LED. I don't have beamshots in the moment, but I try to make some..

grinsefalle

Enlightened
Here are some quick beamshots agains a white wall. Please see the file name for the description. First 4 pics are from the Klarus WL3 with different color temperatures, then 3 pics from the TS22 in different brightness settings. The white balance was auto-set with the 6500k pic, then locked, so all pictures should be comparable..

Attachments

• A WL3 2700k.jpg
    A WL3 2700k.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 11
  • B WL3 3500k.jpg
    B WL3 3500k.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 11
  • C WL3 4500k.jpg
    C WL3 4500k.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 12
  • D WL3 6500k.jpg
    D WL3 6500k.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 8
  • E TS22 XHP703 CRI low.jpg
    E TS22 XHP703 CRI low.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 10
  • F TS22 XHP703 mid.jpg
    F TS22 XHP703 mid.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 13
  • G TS22 XHP703 hi.jpg
    G TS22 XHP703 hi.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 10

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Not quite the same, but I do have a light with an XHP 50.3 hi 9050 in 4000k, and it has a pretty pleasant tint. Slightly green, but you can only see that when you're looking at it side-by-side with a pink emitter. More of a neutral yellow. View attachment 60767
This is shot on an iPhone, so not perfect, but it does have white balance and exposure locked. This is 1950 lm.
It's very nice. If it's any consolation, I have a Nichia 519a 5700k, that is greener than the Cree.
That looks beautiful. Just from the ol' eye-o-meter, I'd say that looks just like a 519A 4000K I own, though I can spot the barely perceptible hint of green you mentioned. Just that little bit is no problem, I already own a 5000K 719A that fits the description and in real use it is entirely unnoticeable, especially during daytime hours.

I've heard the XHP50 HI has more tint shift than the 70, so if that's how little I should look forward to, then I'm made in the shade.
Here are some quick beamshots agains a white wall. Please see the file name for the description. First 4 pics are from the Klarus WL3 with different color temperatures, then 3 pics from the TS22 in different brightness settings. The white balance was auto-set with the 6500k pic, then locked, so all pictures should be comparable..
Beautiful comparisons, thank you very much. Your 70.3 HI looks gorgeous, both in tint and beam profile. 😍

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks beautiful. Just from the ol' eye-o-meter, I'd say that looks just like a 519A 4000K I own, though I can spot the barely perceptible hint of green you mentioned. Just that little bit is no problem, I already own a 5000K 719A that fits the description and in real use it is entirely unnoticeable, especially during daytime hours.

I've heard the XHP50 HI has more tint shift than the 70, so if that's how little I should look forward to, then I'm made in the shade.

Beautiful comparisons, thank you very much. Your 70.3 HI looks gorgeous, both in tint and beam profile. 😍
This is in a big tir as well. I believe an optic mixes the light together better, so probably minimizes tint shift. Mine has none. Also, some of the green in the very outer spill is from the green anodize