Custom LED Light Bar for off roading

langham

Enlightened
I would like to build a custom LED light Bar for off-road trucks, but I don't have a truck. I would build it for the price of the parts, and shipping, no labor charges. I want to build an all XM-L2 setup, but I am up for other options. I do not wish to start from scratch building the body, but again I am opened to suggestions on what I should use. Pretty much I just want to make an insanely bright light bar that can push out the lumens and the distance with no problem. I build lots of custom lights in a similar way, and I have a very good engineering background, I was a Nuclear Mechanic on a Submarine, and I am now and industrial electrician. You can PM me for more specifics, but I am not looking to build a cheap light, I will want to build a light that will cost in the neighborhood of $25 per XML led and 40lm per $1.00. I will be accepting a few, but probably not more than 5, if anyone is interested feel free to discuss it here, or PM me I will monitor both. I can send you pictures of previous builds if you wish to see what I can do. I will want some money up front probably a flat percentage of the total cost, and I will probably use Pay-Pal for the transaction. Thank you for your time and interest. Feel free to ask questions and I will post pictures later.

langham

Enlightened
I feel like this is a great opportunity if anyone would like one built. I am offering hours of free labor and all of my experience in modding lights to anyone that would like a light bar. If you know anyone send them my way. I just want to do it and I don't have a use for one myself.

shilohsharps

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ford Raptor with 4 aux. switches prewired from the factory to accept light bars, fog lights, winches, etc. The truck is built for off-roading. Ford even leaves two open spaces in the front bumper for custom fogs (do a search for "Ford Raptor Light Bars" and you'll see what I mean).

I'm just curious....about how much $ would you anticipate? What about mounting hardware/brackets?

thx.

langham

Enlightened
I was thinking of using something like the DX SKU: 195321, or 230747 as the base. They have mounts already installed that you can look at, but it is your product so whatever you decide is most likely possible. These are just suggestions as well, if you want to do something else feel free to post a pic of something you have seen. According to what you want I would be willing to make it as bright as possible. With the bigger of these 2 and a complete re-vamp. I could get 16000 lm out of all XM-L2 U2 1C bin leds all de-domed and directly mounted on copper mpcbs and with artic silver thermal paste, or compound. I would also replace the driver with one that can be adjusted, you would need to run a 10 awg or less 2 conductor wire to the driver from a 12V DC source capable of 15A. For all of that I have estimated $400.00 or it could be cheaper according to how much light you would like and if you would like to replace the leds with the newest ones. This would give you more than 30% more light though and it would be a lot less effort on my part because I wouldn't have to de-solder and re-solder all of those leds on direct copper stars. I would be re-wiring the entire thing to bring the Vf requirement as close to the supply voltage as I could. Like I said before I have no interest in building a body from scratch as I have seen a lot of cheap bodies that seem to be built almost exactly the same as $1000.00 and more light bars. Take a look around the internet and either post a pic of what you were thinking or you can direct me to a website that I can see it on. I think $400 would be the highest and brightest and it would go down from there and I would send you a quote of all of the materials prior to purchase, for your approval. Thank you for your reply I look forward to building this if you wish to move forward, I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

langham

Enlightened
I made a 4 led version of this light that put out 6000lm for only $135 I was pretty satisfied with the results. Anyone else made one or seen one?