D Lithium rechgeable 3.7v 7500mah-Feeler...

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some thoughts I personnly doubt I will ever buy a non-safe chemistry li-ion D-cell. Even if it is protected, I really much prefer that the cell itselft is safe and not a grenade.

That said, if you are ready to accept the risk. I'm not sure why you say balancing is so critical?? AFAIK balancing is usefull to ensure you are not over-charging a cell in the case you charge a whole pack. Which is not the case here, if you charge them one by one.

Also, balancing is usefull to ensure you will not over-discharge a cell when used in serie. In that case, balancing alone is not enough, you also want the cells to be well matched. A perfectly balanced pack that do not have well-matched cells can also lead to an over-discharge cell (the one that has the least capacity will run empty before the others).

If you charge your cells one by one one a similar charger, they should be very well balanced at the beginning of the discharge. How well they will remain balanced at the end of the discharge depends on well the cells are matched.

At last, if these cells are protected, the PTC should prevent any cell from going over-charged/over-discharged.

then there's balancing which is more important the larger the battery and the larger the load.

Last edited:

Frank423

Newly Enlightened
Wattnot said:
Charging these is going to be a task. Plan on spending a lot on a charger. At least $200, probably more. And then there is a good chance you'll be using more two or three batteries per project. That much stored energy you'll want charged AND balanced. So a multiple cell charger than can put 7.5 amps in 2 to 4 batteries simultaniously in a reasonable amount of time (less than a week)? Keep that in mind. As for cheap charging options, your typical power cube charger puts out 150 ma making it a 50+ hour charge per battery. If they make one that puts out say 500 ma, you're still looking at over 15 hours per battery. A power cube charger like that will most likey not be made to tight tolerances and could be downright dangerous. If you do it that way and can live with the time, then there's balancing which is more important the larger the battery and the larger the load.

This cheapy charger charges at 2.0A, that makes 7,5/2.0= between 3 and 4 hours

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm not sure why you say balancing is so critical??

I never said it was critical. I said it was important. A slight mismatch, like you said, is no big deal but it may not deliver optimal performance. A large mismatch can be dangerous with tiny cells, let alone D sized.

People go through trouble taking a tiny bit of resistance out of a Mag mod to eek out that last bit of performance. Why not balance for optimal performace and battery longevity?

Again, I'm all for these things. Just know, like everything else, they're probably not going to be perfect.

Dodge

Newly Enlightened
Does it make sense to pay VAT on these if the majority are going be shipped out of the UK (and hence not be liable to VAT). Would it perhaps be better to have the whole batch shipped to a US address and distributed from there?

DocD

Enlightened
i will buy 8 batterys:twothumbs so if ever one who has soon some interest give's him a confirmed order this will only hlep make all of are dreams come ture about this battery:twothumbsthe ball is in all of our courts

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Does it make sense to pay VAT on these if the majority are going be shipped out of the UK (and hence not be liable to VAT). Would it perhaps be better to have the whole batch shipped to a US address and distributed from there?

No, only for the US badge.

Shippingrates US > EU sucks, starting at $26

It enters my country, the customs say: Hey!, that worth more then € 22, you have to pa 19% tax. And because we were so nice doing that for you, you have to pay us € ~16. Well, quite strange that everyone is declaring their packages worth less then 20 bucks and 'Gift of no commercial value'

Or batteries: never order 32 at the same time from HK. Let it come in two packages of 16 and you pay no tax. :poke:

If they are protected, and proved to be good and there is a good charger available for them I might be interested.

Imagine six of them in a Mag 6D with a 20 Volt 50Watt bulb; plenty light and three hours runtime. :popcorn: (And the weight; yeah :devil: > :twak: )

Anders

Enlightened
Last edited:

DocD

Enlightened
hi,
i phoned the company today and they will sell some the price over the phone £35 each plus postage and packing and most important the correct paper work for hazimat class 9
i do not know this cost the company going to advise my sometime in the next two days and they sending me down specs and info i guess it will be the same as the OP info
the tough part is send them to the usa as air freight i just don't think it's possable, so they will have to go by sea freight and this is also a unknow cost due to the hazimat class 9 i'll work away at this over the next week or so cheers DocD

FredM

Enlightened
Plan on spending a lot on a charger. At least $200, probably more. And then there is a good chance you'll be using more two or three batteries per project. That much stored energy you'll want charged AND balanced. So a multiple cell charger than can put 7.5 amps in 2 to 4 batteries simultaniously in a reasonable amount of time (less than a week)?

Dude a Triton Jr. could easily charge one in a hour or so. (1:15) and it costs ~70 bucks.

So 2.5 hours total charging for a 2 cell light and 3.5 for a 3 cell. Not to bad. And those are only if you drain them empty, the most probably case is 50% remaining or more.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would 3 of these Lithium D cell batteries work in a 3 D-cell Mag85? (Mine was orginally set up with a 9 AA to 3 D-cell adapter running NiMH AAs.)

DocD

Enlightened
HI,
i think the price is to high too :( but it is one hell of a battery for that money!!!
But it's not about price it's if i or a shipping company can get them to the USA and though your customs and on to the buyer so i'll try to find the info to do this but i think it was the reason plasmaman did not go forward with this, maybe a bulk sale straight to the USA might be better?
who knows untill a bit more homework is done but i hopefull a way can be found cheers DocD

Last edited:

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
Would 3 of these Lithium D cell batteries work in a 3 D-cell Mag85? (Mine was orginally set up with a 9 AA to 3 D-cell adapter running NiMH AAs.)

Yes, but there's a good probability these cells will instaflash an 1185 if you don't employ a soft-start. Large cells have less voltage sag under load, plus the 1185 is already operating close to the edge.