• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Eyes)

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

ok gotcha, thank you for your time man! I'll order them through your site once I receive my M3

no worries about not being able to adjust current on the multi-cell (3x primaries, 2x secondaries) because I'm sure it'll be just fine as it is :)

thank you once again Dave!

HI

You do realize that you can run a dummy cell and two primaries and get the higher amperage and you won't lose runtime. Most of the voltage from 3 primaries will be bucked down so you will be about as far ahead getting a dummy cell and a higher amperage module if that is what you are after.

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

HI

You do realize that you can run a dummy cell and two primaries and get the higher amperage and you won't lose runtime. Most of the voltage from 3 primaries will be bucked down so you will be about as far ahead getting a dummy cell and a higher amperage module if that is what you are after.

Dave
no sir, I didn't even think about that haha. I see on the customlites page that XM-L2 is the only emitter for 2.8-6 volt drivers, can you make em in XP-G2 as well?

thanks for the tip man, i was totally oblivious to that thought haha

edit: I may just do an XM-L2 instead of both XP-G2 and XM-L2. they can be pushed just the same as the P60s I've bought from you in the past, correct?

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

no sir, I didn't even think about that haha. I see on the customlites page that XM-L2 is the only emitter for 2.8-6 volt drivers, can you make em in XP-G2 as well?

thanks for the tip man, i was totally oblivious to that thought haha

edit: I may just do an XM-L2 instead of both XP-G2 and XM-L2. they can be pushed just the same as the P60s I've bought from you in the past, correct?

Hi

WHile folks like the form factor of the M3 and M4 they really were not made for leds, the reason the additional battery capacity is because at that time incans is what was used and the only way to make a brighter incan is to add more voltage. But as we all know that is just the converse for leds as it is the amperage that makes the big difference.

Actually since the batteries are in series not parallel you will notice little runtime variance between 2 and 3 primaries since much of the 3rd batt is just bucked down. Now I know that is simplified but basically the way it works since the voltage has to be reduced to the VF of the emitter. You as I have suggested to some can use a dummy primary like we carry and a 17670 which will give a bit more runtime than 2Xprimaries since I think there are some 1700mah 17670's.

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi

WHile folks like the form factor of the M3 and M4 they really were not made for leds, the reason the additional battery capacity is because at that time incans is what was used and the only way to make a brighter incan is to add more voltage. But as we all know that is just the converse for leds as it is the amperage that makes the big difference.

Actually since the batteries are in series not parallel you will notice little runtime variance between 2 and 3 primaries since much of the 3rd batt is just bucked down. Now I know that is simplified but basically the way it works since the voltage has to be reduced to the VF of the emitter. You as I have suggested to some can use a dummy primary like we carry and a 17670 which will give a bit more runtime than 2Xprimaries since I think there are some 1700mah 17670's.

Dave

gotcha, thanks! I definitely plan on buying a D36 module and a CR123 dummy cell from your site :) (to use in conjuction with a good secondary li-ion)

So can you tell me if the XM-L2 2.8-6 volt M3 replacement module can take an XP-G2? I really am considering buying two of those modules (one as an OP XM-L2, the other as a SMO XP-G2).

quick question: when my M3 gets here, to install your D36 modules I need to remove the bezel ring and so on right (disassembly of the head)? Once I swap the LED module in there is it easy to change out modules or is it recommended to get a second head for ease of use (so I don't have to totally dismantle the head)?

I apologize for the barrage of questions. I love helping out in your P60 thread but since I've never done these D36 modules, I'm in essence re-learning it all as it applies to this type of module. Thanks Dave for your time once again! :D

how's heat dissipation on these when compared to P60s? I'm assuming better?

in short:
1. can we make an XP-G2 2.8-6 volt D36 head? your site shows XM-L2 only right now for that driver. I am perfectly fine with getting the 4-16 volt module if it's not possible!
2. total head disassembly necessary?
3. is it easy to swap out D36 modules between one another?
4. heat dissipation better, worse, or similar to P60?

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened

Dave I have a Surfire M900A (3 CR123's) that I would like a nice bright, good throw, neutral white set up for: I read of suggestion of XR-E R2 (neutral white) , MOP, single mode, 3.6~18V, I would like it potted so it is more durable on my M4. Is this a correct description or am I off base with this? What would the price be?

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:

Senior-Operator

Newly Enlightened

Hey Dave,

I would like to hear which LED you recommend for my needs.

I am looking for a good thrower with a high output and a good runtime on 18650s (3400mA/h), runtime should be more than 1.5hrs. The tint shoud be NW and the output should be regulated (same brightness until battery is empty), single mode only.

What can you recommend and how much will it be? Please excuse my english but I am from Germany so I am not a native speaker :eek:

Would like to read your answer.

Best Regards

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Dave,

I am looking for a good thrower with a high output and a good runtime on 18650s (3400mA/h), runtime should be more than 1.5hrs. The tint shoud be NW and the output should be regulated (same brightness until battery is empty), single mode only.

What can you recommend and how much will it be? Please excuse my english but I am from Germany so I am not a native speaker :eek:

Best Regards

your English sounds fine to me!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Dave,

Best Regards

HI

While a XML2 would be a bit brighter an R5 flux 3D tint XPG2 would probably fit your needs better. It has better throw and will give about 2 hours runtime. all our modules are regulated. Price is $45 for the module and $12 for 1st class Int.

Smooth will give the best throw vs textured.

Dave

Senior-Operator

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the reply,
now I just need to know how to order :D

Your recommended LED with an SMO reflector and single mode only.

*edit: is it possible to run the XP-G2 at 1.75 Amps? For more output...(I know, reduced runtime)

Al

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply,
now I just need to know how to order :D

Your recommended LED with an SMO reflector and single mode only.

*edit: is it possible to run the XP-G2 at 1.75 Amps? For more output...(I know, reduced runtime)

Al

Hi

Paypal is in my bio top of the profile, just put what ordered in the paypal notes. Yes it is not a problem to make them run at 1.8 amps please include that in the notes also.

thanks

Dave

Seavee

Newly Enlightened

Hi Dave,

I just ordered on your site - Transaction #6KC60634KH678082P - the following (several other items too but have a specific question on this one particular item):

One D36 Module Cree XM-L2 2.8-6 volt, with OP reflector, T5 Flux 4500k neutral with the 3 level option.

My question is:

On this D36 Cree XM-L2module, I would like the 3-strobe option (Medium-High-Strobe). That 3S option DOES show in the description on the left side of that product's page, but then when I tried to select it on the drop down arrow when ordering, 3 with strobe did NOT appear (like it did when I ordered the D26 module with strobe opion). Is the 3-strobe option in fact available for this D36 module? Even if its not then still go ahead and send me the 3 level option (Low-Medium-High without strobe).

EDIT: Sent you a PM but posting the following here too in case you miss it (I know you get a lot of PMs and emails): I placed the order only yesterday so hopefully you have not yet started the builds on the two modules. I have a small change request for BOTH of the modules: Instead of the T5 Flux 4500K neutral, can I have them made in T6 Flux 5000K neutral?

Last edited:

Seavee

Newly Enlightened

Received my order - excellent turn around. Nailbender answered my questions and the modules came exactly as I wanted.

These LED emitters have totally transformed my M3 and Z2 ad brought the out of "The Dark Ages". Absolutely Phenomenal!

Thank you!

Last edited:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it be better to run 2x17500 or single 17650 + spacer in an M3?
Runtime is my priority above high lumens.

Dave, emailed you for half dozen drop in order.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it be better to run 2x17500 or single 17650 + spacer in an M3?
Runtime is my priority above high lumens.

Dave, emailed you for half dozen drop in order.

Hi

2Xli ion limits you to a lower amperage and one level.
the spacer and 17650 will allow levels options if wanted and a 25% increase in amperage. Since running cells in series doesn't add much capacity you probably will have as much or more runtime with the 17650 since I would imagine they have more mah than a 17500.

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave: I finally got around to installing my XM-L2 (4500K, single mode, 3.0 Amps, 2.8-6 volts, OP) module I bought from you waaaay back in September of last year (lazy me, I know) and I wanted to say that this XM-L2 at 3 Amps inside an M3's Z46 bezel is really something else!

Thank you very much NB! I will have to try out a SMO D36 module at some point and see how much it beats the pants off of a similarly-spec'd P60 module since there's so much more reflector area available for a D36.

Your D36 module really makes my Surefire M3 everything I wanted it to be now. Not only do I not have to deal with the "ellipse-like" beam the stock SF M-series reflectors make, but now I have something that is a lot more efficient and can run well on rechargeables. I've always loved the feel of the M3 in-hand, but the factory reflector is, IMO, not that great and, furthermore, the bulb isn't as high output as I can get with modern LED offerings.

Thanks man! I'll be emailing you at some point to discuss options that aren't listed on the site that I'm certainly interested in pursuing. :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D36 Drop - In modules are finally here

Hi Dave,

Out of the available LED options on this D36 unit, what is the best thrower? I'll need it to accept up to 9 volts since it will be used on a Surefire M961, but I only want a single mode drop in so I don't suspect that will be an issue.

Thank you.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

Out of the available LED options on this D36 unit, what is the best thrower? I'll need it to accept up to 9 volts since it will be used on a Surefire M961, but I only want a single mode drop in so I don't suspect that will be an issue.

Thank you.

HI

Of Cree emitters the XPE2 will have the tightest beam angle with the XPG2 next. The XPG2 coolwhite will be brightest but if pushed hard the XPE2 is not slouch but still 3 flux bins less.

Dave

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Dave, I'm sending you my order via PP now.

XPG2 - Smooth reflector - 1 level 3.6-18 volts @1.4 amps
R4 - daylight white 5000k
$45 shipping included conus

edit: :paypal:

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave, I read in this thread that while these drivers can accept up to 18v, it is more efficient (same runtime/less heat) if I run the drop in on 2x123 and a spacer instead of 3x123. Is that correct?