• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Eyes)

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D36 Drop - In modules are finally here

Dave, I read in this thread that while these drivers can accept up to 18v, it is more efficient (same runtime/less heat) if I run the drop in on 2x123 and a spacer instead of 3x123. Is that correct?

Hi

Anytime you can run a module closer to the VF of the led you should be more efficient. Usually the more voltage that needs to be reduced the less efficient the module. One thing about it with the driver you chose you can use either 2 or 3 primaries or 2 or 3 li ions.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D36 Drop - In modules are finally here

Hi

Anytime you can run a module closer to the VF of the led you should be more efficient. Usually the more voltage that needs to be reduced the less efficient the module. One thing about it with the driver you chose you can use either 2 or 3 primaries or 2 or 3 li ions.

That's exactly what I plan to do - run this on a M961, or a 9P with C to M adapter.

I can run 1 or 2 li-ions (17670 + spacer or 2x17500) or 2 (with dummy) or 3 primaries based on your post, but truly I'd be better off running either 1 li-ion or 2 primaries.

Thanks for confirming Dave. I'm looking forward to checking it out since this will be my first D36. It should be delivered today based on USPS tracking - excellent transit time!

jso902

Enlightened
Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Got my product!! Thanks Dave for all the help!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D36 LED Drop - In modules - Red & Green DD available (For Surefire, Pila, Wolf Ey

Got mine today too - excellent turnaround time!

Here's what I can report:

Installation was easy, I just followed the instructions on the first page of this thread.
This thing THROWS. Very happy with the SMO. There are some rings and holes in the beam, but this was to be expected. I wanted maximum throw, and that's what I got.
I plan on getting a FM14 diffuser to increase the utility of this drop in at close range.
Amp draw on 3x123 is 0.55, and on 2x123 (with a dummy cell) is approx 1.2a. I'm going to run it on three cells since it initially appears the run time would be more than double what it would be on two cells. If I'm wrong here, please tell me why.

Very happy! Thanks Dave!

jso902

Enlightened

Im using the fm14 and it is awesome

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine today too - excellent turnaround time!

Here's what I can report:

Installation was easy, I just followed the instructions on the first page of this thread.
This thing THROWS. Very happy with the SMO. There are some rings and holes in the beam, but this was to be expected. I wanted maximum throw, and that's what I got.
I plan on getting a FM14 diffuser to increase the utility of this drop in at close range.
Amp draw on 3x123 is 0.55, and on 2x123 (with a dummy cell) is approx 1.2a. I'm going to run it on three cells since it initially appears the run time would be more than double what it would be on two cells. If I'm wrong here, please tell me why.

Very happy! Thanks Dave!

Hi

Well again as I have told many adding cells in series doesn't more than double runtime. You can Not measure amperage at the tail on a high voltage driver, the Only way to accurately tell the amperage on a high voltage driver is to break the connection at the led and measure it. The reason your measurements go down is the resistance caused by the voltage being bucked down, for your statement to be true then the light would be 60% dimmer than on 2 primaries which we both know is not true. If you think the measurement is right then you have to tell me how .55 amps is as bright as 1.2 amps:)
That driver actually pushes the emitter at about 1.5 amps or a bit more. Why don't you find out try using 2 and a dummy cell and then use 3 primaries next battery change and let me know how much more runtime you get. You may get a bit more but will it be enough to make it worth the cost of the 3rd cell.

If adding cells in series added runtime then 3XCR123 since most are 1400 mah would end up with 4200 mah worth of runtime and I can guarantee you that is not true since we all know a 3400 mah li ion will run lots longer than the primaries will almost twice as long.

Dave

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi

Well again as I have told many adding cells in series doesn't more than double runtime. You can Not measure amperage at the tail on a high voltage driver, the Only way to accurately tell the amperage on a high voltage driver is to break the connection at the led and measure it. The reason your measurements go down is the resistance caused by the voltage being bucked down, for your statement to be true then the light would be 60% dimmer than on 2 primaries which we both know is not true. If you think the measurement is right then you have to tell me how .55 amps is as bright as 1.2 amps:)
That driver actually pushes the emitter at about 1.5 amps or a bit more. Why don't you find out try using 2 and a dummy cell and then use 3 primaries next battery change and let me know how much more runtime you get. You may get a bit more but will it be enough to make it worth the cost of the 3rd cell.

If adding cells in series added runtime then 3XCR123 since most are 1400 mah would end up with 4200 mah worth of runtime and I can guarantee you that is not true since we all know a 3400 mah li ion will run lots longer than the primaries will almost twice as long.

Dave

I think the part in bold explains the readings I took, and accurately rebukes my suggestion regarding runtime, but wouldn't the answer to the issue in red involve calculating wattage, which is different at 9v versus 6v? I.E., you could get the same brightness, with fewer amps, and higher voltage?

But then again, if this is a buck driver, then that wouldn't ring true since it only needs 3.6v to stay in regulation, meaning the input voltage is irrelevant. I'll have to do some real world runtime testing (two versus three primaries) as you suggested.

Thanks Dave!

Last edited:

jso902

Enlightened

if i gathered all the comments correctly, and the head beating *crossing fingers that i have this correct*
yes, 9v would require less current from multiple batteries (in series), however, more energy is lost /wasted when the input voltage has to be pulled back by the driver to the LED's running voltage.
incandescent are brighter with higher voltage, but they are designed for higher voltage as opposed to LED's which hit their efficiency at around 3volts.
and if i interpreted dave's comments correctly, the closer you are to the working voltage, the more efficient your battery will be.

batteries in series = doubles voltage
batteries in parallel = doubles capacity

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you're right. From what I've gathered, here's what my options are:

1. 3xCR123 (9v) - ineffiicient due to heat generated and energy wasted by buck driver

2. 2x17500 (9v) - same as above

3. 2xCR123 & dummy cell (6v) - more efficient, less loss of voltage due to buck driver, approx 1500 mah available

4. 1x17670 & dummy cell (4.2v) - probably the best route to take since very little voltage will be bucked due to the input voltage matching the VF, capacity about the same at 1600 mah from AW's 17670.

Last edited:

jso902

Enlightened

I tried to come up with odd ball battery combinations and realized that it doesn't really work well.
FYI, 2 lithium would only work for 17500 x2. And the voltage would be at most 8.4v. 17500= 1.5 the size of cr123.
I don't know how it would compare to a 17670 battery.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you're right. From what I've gathered, here's what my options are:

1. 3xCR123 (9v) - ineffiicient due to heat generated and energy wasted by buck driver

2. 2x17500 (9v) - same as above

3. 2xCR123 & dummy cell (6v) - more efficient, less loss of voltage due to buck driver, approx 1500 mah available

4. 1x17670 & dummy cell (4.2v) - probably the best route to take since very little voltage will be bucked due to the input voltage matching the VF, capacity about the same at 1600 mah from AW's 17670.

HI

Yes as I have said 2XCR123 or best 1X17670 works great. There are other brands of 17670 that are about 1800 mah or about 20plus percent more than primaries.
Just takes awhile to wrap your head around leds versus why Surefire made the multiple celled versions, at that time only incans available and only way to make brighter was more voltage. Still can use primaries when needed but when applicable the li ion makes it nice.

Dave

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love all the drop in that Dave made :thumbsup: especially those high cri. It revive classic SF light.
The M3 is my all time favourite and the drop in just made it better :grin2:

But does anybody manage to use the D36 dropin into a M3 head with C2 body. I m using a leef M to C collar adapter but the D36 don't seem to sit in deep enough for contact.
I really would want to do this setup after seeing so many photos of nice C2 with M3 head.
Do I need to get different collar?
Any advice on how to make this work?

BlazerNL

Enlightened

I've send you a couple of emails but no reaction.

I want to get a drop in for my M3 but need some help to decide witch one.

Kind regards JP

jso902

Enlightened

If it gives you any reassurance, NB's customer service is amazing. I've bought several items from him

jso902

Enlightened

Love all the drop in that Dave made :thumbsup: especially those high cri. It revive classic SF light.

But does anybody manage to use the D36 dropin into a M3 head with C2 body. I m using a leef M to C collar adapter but the D36 don't seem to sit in deep enough for contact.
I really would want to do this setup after seeing so many photos of nice C2 with M3 head.

Try using a protected battery. You might need the extra 1-2mm to reach the terminals properly.
I had this problem with using unprotected batteries in Malkoff's md4

m4a1usr

Enlightened

Try using a Lumens Factory adapter. I just did a lego using my M3 head with a LED drop in and an M2 body. Works perfectly on 2 primaries.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've send you a couple of emails but no reaction.

I want to get a drop in for my M3 but need some help to decide witch one.

Kind regards JP

HI

Well this is a full time job for us and we spend weekends with the family and doing work at the house hopefully this is not too uncommon where you live:). I answer emails first thing in the mornings weekdays so I will get to yours as soon as I can.

Thanks

Dave

BlazerNL

Enlightened

HI

Well this is a full time job for us and we spend weekends with the family and doing work at the house hopefully this is not too uncommon where you live:). I answer emails first thing in the mornings weekdays so I will get to yours as soon as I can.

Thanks

Dave

No problem, thought that maybe there was something wrong with my email and dind't want to seam a jurk for not responding.

Kind regards JP

Peewee

Newly Enlightened

I received my D36, SST-50 module for my WE M90 flashlight today. It works perfectly. Thanks for a super product.

Hi, thanks for letting me know.

Dave

Hi nailbender, i'm interested in getting my hands on a D36 XM-L2 for my WolfEyes M90 to be powered by 2x18650s. Has something changed between the SST-50 Module and the XM-L2 Module that would render incompatibility? i'd like to get that light working again, and would like to drop something in! please help!
-Peewee

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi nailbender, i'm interested in getting my hands on a D36 XM-L2 for my WolfEyes M90 to be powered by 2x18650s. Has something changed between the SST-50 Module and the XM-L2 Module that would render incompatibility? i'd like to get that light working again, and would like to drop something in! please help!
-Peewee

Hi

Sorry I missed this post, I have serious concerns that the modules we use now will work in a M90. We used to carry two styles modules one we had made for M3's and one that KD carried. The KD one if I remember right was the one that worked but after getting many that were scratched we quit carrying them. I think the post you copied was either the KD one or one of his that we reworked since at that time we were doing mods which we don't now. Look at the completed module in the initial post and I think you will see it is quite a bit different than your original modules from Wolf eyes.

Now I am always glad to build one but I hate sending a product I am not sure will work.

This is an old thread and I should shut it down and redo it since I can't at this date change the heading with out mods help or else I would remove the Wolf eyes.

Dave