Dangerous Side of Folding Knives

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In reading knife reviews from users at various sites (like Amazon, etc) there will be an occasional complaint about a folding knife opening unintentionally in the users pocket, and resulting in some injury.

So far, that has never happened to me, but I do wonder about the safety of some of my flipper knives and assisted knives.

Ever had a bad experience with a folder in your pocket?

I had a Kershaw blur tanto serrated that opened in my front jeans pocket. Those blur assisted only need a soft nudge to get it to open I must admit. There was some other stuff in there which have set it off and its pointy tip tore out part of the pocket and my thigh too. Nothing serious but it did bled somewhat. I stayed away from it and have since sold it off. I am extra careful not to mix stuff with any folder that I edc. Its even better if the folder has a sheath.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I've been cut several times over the years carrying "tip up" with several diff folders from Benchmade with thumbstuds (Mini-Griptillian, Mini-Barrage) and a Spyderco Sage 1 & 2.

Several things can conspire to cause a folder to open in the pocket. Weak blade detente, assisted opening mechanisms, tip up carry, and tight jeans or crowded pockets...and if you're like me, and rather skinny and wear jeans that are kinda snug, the pocket fabric will sometimes wad up and catch the thumb-stud or Spyde' hole and partially open the blade while attempting to pull the knife out.

Loloo

Newly Enlightened
I am using the kubey folding knife never dangerous. It is very safe, the blade is sharp. You can have a try.:twothumbs:twothumbs
333botx.jpg

swampgator

Enlightened
Been carrying tip up for over a decade.
Never had an issue.
Funny the people who say tip up is the cause yet have had problems with CRKT. I thought all their blades were tip down. Which is why I won't own one.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny I see this thread happened to me for the first time this week, ZT0900. I've been carrying for years with no issues so I just disregarded it. Do something a million times, flukes occur.

I'm just watching to see if I notice a pattern.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried some forum of a pocket knife for many years. So far, I haven't had any accidentally open on their own and cut me or my fancy britches. I did accidentally open a Kershaw Leek inside my pocket while fidgeting with it like a dummy. Luckily, I only suffered a small cut when the tip poked me. It was no worse than a paper cut. Having done that, I can see how easily it could spring open and do some serious damage. The Leek is assisted opening.
I did see a buddy stab himself pretty well trying to holster a giant fixed blade knife. I believe he went to slip/slam it in, and the tip deflected off the top of the sheath and lodged in his side about a inch deep! Ouch! He has plenty of natural padding.
So, I guess all knives should be respected and carried as though they are a sharp dangerous instruments at all times?