Dark Sucks: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
This would be my dream flashlight and I'll buy it in an instant, regardless of price:

- A 18650-size flashlight
- MT-G2 P0 emitter
- ULTRA-throw reflector
- at least 2 modes (MAX and med/low - maximum output always the first when turning on the flashlight), with a strobe option.
- Oh, and it needs to be in a matte black/dark grey anodized body & waterproof as well.

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
It would be awesome if Blue Label lights had thicker sapphire lenses or at least thicker glass lenses.

Barefootone

Enlightened
Hello Doctodun,

Jason is up to his elbows with production of his Alpha Pen :eek: . I can't speak for Jason, but I'm sure he will get back to you. I have dealt with Jason and he is very conscientious and a very nice guy.
Best,
Jeff

doctordun

Enlightened
Actually, he contacted me this evening. Thank you both.
I was just wondering, since everyone spoke so highly of him. I thought he might be out of town or something.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to worry, he is busy-busy and about to be back with another amazing product.
Jason is well worth waiting on, really. he does what he can to keep us all happy...

Actually, he contacted me this evening. Thank you both.
I was just wondering, since everyone spoke so highly of him. I thought he might be out of town or something.

Theron

Newly Enlightened
Dual 26650 body with quad Nichia 219 4500K head that can run continuously at 1000 lumens for 90 minutes or longer.

Barefootone

Enlightened
Dual 26650 body with quad Nichia 219 4500K head that can run continuously at 1000 lumens for 90 minutes or longer.

I'm not sure I understand what your after with a "dual 26650 body" could you explain.
Wow that would be something a 1000 lumens' for 90 minutes very ambitious
. The heat factor would be immense IMHO. I'm not sure how the heat sink of the size required could be used with the converter in the head space.

This is my Alpha ICE v3 which is one of my favorite lights.

[IM][/IMG

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I may be alone in this camp, but I would like to see a Ready Made with the two stage switch like the Surefire LX series. I know that it might change the design when using the twist for constant on UI. So I don't know how Jason could make that work, but that's what I'd like to see.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
gawjuss light ..

I'm not sure I understand what your after with a "dual 26650 body" could you explain.
Wow that would be something a 1000 lumens' for 90 minutes very ambitious
. The heat factor would be immense IMHO. I'm not sure how the heat sink of the size required could be used with the converter in the head space.

This is my Alpha ICE v3 which is one of my favorite lights.

[IM][/IMG

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
So far I love my Fenix PD32, so what I'd like to see is basically that, plus a few improvements. A decent light. Adjustable beam might be nice, if you could figure out a good way to do it... Really just a nice EDC light. Sturdy enough to take abuse, affordable enough that you aren't scared to take it off the shelf. I understand is hard for you, since you run this little flashlight-making operation all on your lonesome (that's what I gather).

And the deal-maker:
Tritium vials. Maybe 3 of them, spaced 120 degrees apart around the body somewhere? Nothing outrageously cool, just enough to do their job.

A light coming with trits already installed, that would be something I think a lot of the younger/newer/more casual end of the flashlight community would get really excited about.

All that is A LOT to ask...

Last edited:

bright light

Newly Enlightened
I'm a great fan of yours from the UK. I have a torch and pen! I have just purchased an oveready moddular. Small and powerful. I also bought their peak mule. I see you are looking to produce a key ring torch (I have backed this). A choice of heads would be good like a thrower and a mule head. Could the heads be quick release!! Magnetic connection?! Could a light have a rotary head to allow different heads. Great to go from a flood to a throw in a small pocket size light.

Real silly question here, is it possible to have a head at either end of a torch! A double headed torch, one end a throw and the other a mule. If they were both twisties then you could have different levels or just one level to keep it simple. Now that would be a real EDC light. 10% to me when the idea takes off!!!!!!

could you pen cap be a torch? The DD2 has a real small battery

The art is to be different and his is not easy. My son loves your pen, but it is not just the pen, it is what is behind it that led to its development.

bright light

Newly Enlightened
Hello Doctodun,

Jason is up to his elbows with production of his Alpha Pen :eek: . I can't speak for Jason, but I'm sure he will get back to you. I have dealt with Jason and he is very conscientious and a very nice guy.
Best,
Jeff

I agree a very nice guy. He will get back to you.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would like to see is a monster flood light, very fat and with a built in handle, the entire head is pure copper for insane heat sinking for like 6-12 MTG2 emitters, SICK lumens, like never before heard of lumens, with great runtime and no step down because of the pure copper head.

Basically think about an Olight X6 Marauder, so you would hold it like a lantern. Now something along the lines of that body but totally custom built, yes it will be very heavy. It will be regulated. Not many modes just 2 or 3, a truly specialized flood monster with LONG runtimes due to a lot of batteries.

Can you build it for me?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1.
can you build it for me too Jason?.
imagine. this is what we need now - something even more impressive.
thanks.

What I would like to see is a monster flood light, very fat and with a built in handle, the entire head is pure copper for insane heat sinking for like 6-12 MTG2 emitters, SICK lumens, like never before heard of lumens, with great runtime and no step down because of the pure copper head.

Basically think about an Olight X6 Marauder, so you would hold it like a lantern. Now something along the lines of that body but totally custom built, yes it will be very heavy. It will be regulated. Not many modes just 2 or 3, a truly specialized flood monster with LONG runtimes due to a lot of batteries.

Can you build it for me?

buzzman003

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm getting started on my third run of lights and second "full production" run. Sales have been pretty slow and that means somehow I'm missing the mark. So, I'd like to ask what you want? Consider this a "brainstorm" session and just throw stuff out. Changes to the existing product? A new flashlight? A new lighting product? Different finish? Different material? Different battery platform? Diamonds? You name it!

As a designer, I want to make lights that you will get excited about, not just exercise my own vision, so let me know what would get you excited!

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Just saw the alpha for the first time. Initial impression.....way over engineered and the user interface is too outdated. I fly planes, that thing is engineered better than an aircraft....well almost. It doesn't come with an AOH (FOH for lights) or boldface procedures if it stops working. :)

User interface: Homie - 3 modes, REALLY! I need something like infinitely variable magnetic ring controls. When I'm on Night Vision Goggles my Jet stream can get so low that I can't see the led with my eyes but it lights the cockpit under NVGs. We need smart UIs. That's part of the design you are selling. Basically, don't forget about the UI. We need progress and innovation in all areas. :)

Maybe look into licensing some smart UIs from other designers. Or partner with a UI designer. You handle the physical parts, the UI guy designs that part. You said yourself about your strengths and weaknesses.

Keep the passion!

Last edited:

buzzman003

Newly Enlightened
So far I love my Fenix PD32, so what I'd like to see is basically that, plus a few improvements. A decent light. Adjustable beam might be nice, if you could figure out a good way to do it... Really just a nice EDC light. Sturdy enough to take abuse, affordable enough that you aren't scared to take it off the shelf. I understand is hard for you, since you run this little flashlight-making operation all on your lonesome (that's what I gather).

And the deal-maker:
Tritium vials. Maybe 3 of them, spaced 120 degrees apart around the body somewhere? Nothing outrageously cool, just enough to do their job.

A light coming with trits already installed, that would be something I think a lot of the younger/newer/more casual end of the flashlight community would get really excited about.

All that is A LOT to ask...

+1 tritium vials as an option. Perfect! So many times in the cockpit I'm looking for the light cause the place is blacked out. Tritium would help so much with this. It only makes sense. Shoot, I'd be able to use the tritium to read checklists!

buzzman003

Newly Enlightened
This would be my dream flashlight and I'll buy it in an instant, regardless of price:

- A 18650-size flashlight
- MT-G2 P0 emitter
- ULTRA-throw reflector
- at least 2 modes (MAX and med/low - maximum output always the first when turning on the flashlight), with a strobe option.
- Oh, and it needs to be in a matte black/dark grey anodized body & waterproof as well.

Jason,

what if the user could have his own custom interface? Perfect! That's your niche, highly custom flashlights! Love it! :)