Daylight savings-gone

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I do agree with states rights and all that but would prefer in this case a national precident to take place in order for commerce to be unaffected. Take a truck load of oh I dunno, ice cream that is delivered to a business in a DST time slot coming from a Standard time state, that truck may have to wait an hour from wherever to wait for the business to open. Does not sound like a big deal to many but to that small company making ice cream it does.
I already have the perfect solution to that. And to this whole dilemma. Just use Greenwich Mean Time. That's the same everywhere. No worrying what time zone you're in, or if you're on DST. Businesses would post their opening and closing times in GMT. Do the same for schools.

We're already doing this to some extent with GPS, which uses Univeral Coordinated Time (the successor to GMT). The GPS devices just convert that to "local" time but why not use UCT (or GMT) directly?

f' it man...

lets just make sunrise the official 7am of each and every morning!!!

can you dig it?!?

LOLz
Hey, why not? They actually had local high noon as 12:00, until we had to standardize time to keep trains from colliding with each other in the 1800s.

You know where this really will be fun? When we have people on Mars. One solar day there is 24 h 39 m 35.244 s. No way to align that with Earth time.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
In case you missed it-
I was speaking to the immediate what of daytime working hours being the standard; you are effectively addressing the step removed why you feel they should be more diversified.

This 24 hour economy thing is still fairly new. 7-Eleven is now ubiquitous but it was 1946 when they operated from the then unprecedented hours of 7AM - 11PM, forming the name. It wasn't until 1963 that 24 hour operation started. Industrial operations have been 24-hour affairs for a bit longer to maximize capital efficiency.

But the inertia presently remains and I do not expect this to change a great deal in the future. I expect that outside of large-scale regimented production-oriented work, swing and graveyard shifts will be worked reactively to the needs of the larger economy. White collar work in particular will favor concentration of workers during a common set of hours for the sake of realtime collaboration.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
But the inertia presently remains and I do not expect this to change a great deal in the future. I expect that outside of large-scale regimented production-oriented work, swing and graveyard shifts will be worked reactively to the needs of the larger economy. White collar work in particular will favor concentration of workers during a common set of hours for the sake of realtime collaboration.
It's getting somewhat better due to the Great Resignation. Flexibility helps attract/retain better employees. It's not just for aligning a person's circadian rhythm with their working hours. Lots of people have childcare or other needs that require at some flexibility of hours. Really, even allowing a 2 hour window for start times could help a lot, while still keeping everyone together for collaboration 6 out of 8 hours.

Of course, a 10 AM start time, instead of 8 AM, is still at best only marginally beneficial to a true night owl, but I suppose better than nothing.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
DST doesn't exist where I live (PHX), and likely never has. I don't know if current legislation would impact that here, but I doubt it (haven't checked). There's another such place or two elsewhere in the country, but I don't recall where. I do know that for many years when I had to use national TV schedules and set physical VCR/DVRs to time-shift all my viewing, the annual changes (elsewhere) really played heck with my simple mind. I've 'only' lived here ~20 years, although that's by far my longest stint in any one place.

My most recent work (6-8 year stint) has been 18:00 - 06:00 shifts, so I won't even bother with most of my opinions, as they're unrepresentative of 'average'; and average is what rules (much to the disappointment of night people, which most morning types never even consider). They don't consider that we do what must be done and what they take for granted, but can't do because they're asleep (duh).

Now when I'm not working I enjoy wandering the outdoors and photographing. I should favor a +1 change though, as both the photos I want to shoot and the animals I want to see favor the evening 'golden hours', and that would favor my having time to enjoy those things. I'm accustomed to having worked every schedule that exists, and also having been on-call most of my career I have to be somewhat flexible:)

EDIT: Removed some text

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
This is going to be a rather lengthy post, so bear with me.

If you're a night person you wouldn't be saying that.

I hear ya. My preferred sleep schedule is actually about midnight to 8:00am, and this is what I do on the weekends and during the winter when I am mostly off of work. During my work season I usually go to bed about 10:30p and get up at 6:30a so I can start work at 8:00am. However, I do seem to adapt fairly quickly to whatever, and even the time changes don't affect me other than the fact that I lose an hour of valuable work time in the fall when we drop back, which I do not like. That is why I prefer DST. Just as some paradigms are harder for you to grasp, I admit that it is hard for me to fully appreciate how time changes affect those who are very sensitive to it. In reality, I seem to have a fairly high energy and adaptable body that adjusts reasonably quickly to things like time and diet and rarely seems to break down or get sick. How long that will last, I don't know, but I appreciate it for the time being.

WC8KCY

Newly Enlightened
If they would've stopped moving the Eastern time zone westward, maybe I could get on board with year-round DST. In my hometown, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, solar high noon is between 11:31 AM and 12:02 PM Central Standard Time. In 1967, the Michigan Legislature opted out of DST but moved us from the Central to the Eastern time zone, effectively putting us on year-round DST. In 1972, we started observing DST on Eastern time, and high noon can occur as late as 2:02 PM--putting us on double DST.

Sure, it's fun to play golf 'til 9PM and hang out at the beach until after 10PM, but being on double DST remains the bane of many parents whose kids don't want to go to bed when it's still daylight out, which can be well after 10PM on the longest days of summer.