Let's end daylight saving time

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I was a lad my parents had a solution to a struggle waking early. It was a two step strategy that actually worked very well.

1) go to bed at a decent hour and get 8 hours sleep.
2) eat a whole meal at breakfast. Not thanksgiving meal but a well rounded one with products from the food pyramid.

By 7:00 we were packed up ready to go to school where you interacted with actual humans for 6 hours a day. In fall it wasn't dark at 7:00am after the clocks changed.

Why they don't keep time the same year 'round? It may have to do with Red Bull sales, all state collision insurance or some nit wit congress person just doesn't want to. It's just one of those ways of life to me.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I can't speak for the US, but Brazil has abolished DST since 2018 and I could NOT be happier. Always hated having direct sunlight at 7PM in my location (slightly north of the Tropic of Capricorn), my circadian rhythm demands that hour to be at least dusk. And in summer such as right now, I wake up with sunlight at 5 which really gets me going.

One thing I can say for sure is that any change should indeed be on a national level. Jet lag between states is just daft.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My friend the watchmaker was saying the other day that it's supposed to be a thing of the past soon, and a lot less work for him when customers crowd the store twice a year with models of watches which are hard to reset.

I'll believe it when I see it, but that doesn't stop me from being cautiously hopeful.