DBR Guardian

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an email from SF, looks like the DBR Guardian is back up on the surefire.com website. Earlier listings had the maximum output as 800 lumens, now it's listed as 1000 lumens for the 12 mm MaxVision side.

USB-C power connector, is this the first for a Surefire light? Also it appears that the light can be used as a battery pack to charge a phone or other 5 volt device:

Charges small devices at 5 Volts with a current range of 1.5-2A (0.5A from a USB 2.0 source)

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the email also. Yep 1000 lumens. It looks bigger than previous model. Usb-c is way more sturdy connector, reason enough to get it over the previous version.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I ordered one of these with a 20% off code I had so it came out to $168 total with tax and free shipping .... added the holster as well for it so I have a way to actually carry it. I intend to use it for hiking and general purpose household/automotive use. Hopefully it'll ship next week, usually takes 1 day after shipping because I live 45 min away from Surefire!

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I don't like the styling of this light and I know I won't like the buttons because they look to be the same as the buttons on the Sidekick, kinda hard to press and easy to miss when fumbling; not the greatest feel. With that being said, I will likely be ordering one of these in the coming weeks. It's hard to pass up a US made 1000 lumen USB rechargeable light with Intellibeam and 2.5 hour runtime. My current Sidekick last for about three walks of the dog before it needs a recharge. If the ratio holds true, this one should last about a week of dog walking and be brighter to boot. :twothumbs

Looking forward to feeding the flashlight addiction.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one of these with a 20% off code I had so it came out to $168 total with tax and free shipping .... added the holster as well for it so I have a way to actually carry it. I intend to use it for hiking and general purpose household/automotive use. Hopefully it'll ship next week, usually takes 1 day after shipping because I live 45 min away from Surefire!

Well, I might have to do the same. Not sure when B&H will have them.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll pass unless I can get the light at a really good discount. It seems like a disposable product from the description. I've sure had those lithium polymer batteries go bad after a couple of years in cellphones. Does the Guardian battery have a two-year warranty? Will the French and the Federal Trade Commission force SureFire to offer an economical battery replacement policy as they did with iPhones?

Also, I hope the fuel gauge LED indicates charge status as on many small electronic devices. The flashing main LED while charging on the Sidekick is a total train wreck in my opinion.

Will the USB-C connector someday be ubiquitous like the micro USB? Or will it be another idea ahead of its time like the FireWire and eSATA connections?

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Hello all...

I Initially felt the same way about the "non-replaceable" battery. But I do have the Surefire keychain light and that is still going strong. I got the keychain light when it first came out and people were concerned about the battery not being serviceable by the user. So since I haven't had any issues with it so far I picked up a Guardian DBR. Just got one yesterday in the mail from SF along with the holster. I like it so much I just ordered another one and it shipped today so I should have it tomorrow (I live 30 min from Fountain Valley so it's next day delivery usually on in-stock items)

Seeing the reviews and picture doesn't do it justice. I was hesitant to spend $169 (for light and holster) but now that I have it in hand, it's really well made. I like the dual switch and dual beam types. I'll take it hiking and put it through the paces of the rough outdoors. Since this is USB rechargeable, I can use my battery pack or solar panel to charge it up during the day for night use.

Those that have a specific need for this type of light (outdoors, camping, general all purpose light, etc)... and you are on the fence... I would recommend you get it. In fact.. I'm carrying it right now at work in a maxpedition holster.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing the reviews and picture doesn't do it justice. I was hesitant to spend $169 (for light and holster) but now that I have it in hand, it's really well made. I like the dual switch and dual beam types. I'll take it hiking and put it through the paces of the rough outdoors. Since this is USB rechargeable, I can use my battery pack or solar panel to charge it up during the day for night use.

Thanks for posting your observations on this light. :thumbsup: The B&H listing seems to imply that a copy of SureFire's lifetime warranty is included with the light. I'm curious what that actual replacement policy is on these sealed lithium polymer battery lights. The Sidekick seems to explicitly be guaranteed for only 12 months. Is this the case with the Guardian?

SureFire's No-Hassle Warranty states:

Rechargeable batteries and chargers are warranted for two years from the date of purchase.
https://www.surefire.com/warranty

Is this just for separately sold rechargeables or does it also apply to the battery sealed in the Guardian?

On the legacy SF lights I've had parts like broken clips and worn out tailcaps replaced free after well over a decade.

Remember, Apple got taken to task a few years ago for their disposable iPhone concept. The initial response was 'yes our battery is sealed but by the time it fails our customers are ready to buy a new iPhone anyway'. Customer and regulator outcry forced Apple to offer a $29 battery replacement program until the end of this year.

On one hand, I don't expect SF to give me free replacement Guardians for years to come. On the other, I hesitate to spend $160 or more for a plastic light that may only be guaranteed for a year or two. But then again, it does have some really cool looking features... :devil:

Flashlike

Enlightened
I'm confused by the specs listed on SF's website for this light.

https://www.surefire.com/dbr-guardian-rechargeable-led-flashlight.html

They list the output on the 19mm outlet as 800 lumens (high), 250 lumens (med), and 15 lumens (low).
They list the output on the 12mm outlet as 1000 lumens (high), 300 lumens (med), and 15 lumens (low).

So the smaller diameter outlet has a higher output? The "floody" beam comes out of the smaller outlet and the long distance beam out of the larger outlet -- correct?

I'm also curious about the warranty plus the availability of replacement batteries in the future if one should be needed.

Mark2

Enlightened
It would be a good allround EDC light that can do a lot of work before the battery goes bad, but water is a problem, and even more so because it cannot be opened for drying. Just a couple of minutes in the sink with no movement of the light or the water is enough to have small droplets on both reflectors. Have tested 2 lights, will do a third one when we get it in.

Mark2

Enlightened
Are you saying that a quick dunk in a sink got water inside the light?!

The lights were underwater for about 5 minutes at a depth of about 4 inches, no running water, no handling of the lights. The droplets on the reflectors almost certainly entered through the bezels. The rest of the body could very well be watertight, but there is no way of knowing without damaging the light, and that's why the potential uses are limited. Lithium and water don't mix. After a day of intermittent use, the bezels are now fogged up on the inside. Please note that the light in the pictures has not been exposed to a cold environment, it's at room temperature of about 27°C/81°F through and through and hasn't been turned on for a couple of hours.

guardian-small-bezel-wet.jpg

guardian-large-bezel-wet.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
OH! that is totally not right. Especially from a light billed to be an "outdoors" light.

Mark2

Enlightened
When either of the lights is run on high for a couple of minutes, both bezels get completely fogged up with water, so there's definitely more water somewhere in the light.

After having had the lights for a couple of days now, I have to say that I would not recommend this model. Besides the water issue, there is a heat problem. The metal back plate used for dissipating the heat becomes very hot very fast when either of the light sources is on high, especially towards the front. This is not just unpleasant, when put flat on a wooden or plastic surface, this could definitely cause major damage and possibly start a fire; and people will instinctively put this light down that way when using the flood light as a work light, with the buttons facing up.

I have almost all Surefire lights released since the good old 6P and can honestly say that this one is a good idea executed badly. They should make this light with a metal body like the one of the Fenix LD50. Now that would deserve the Surefire name.

Flashlike

Enlightened
When either of the lights is run on high for a couple of minutes, both bezels get completely fogged up with water, so there's definitely more water somewhere in the light.

After having had the lights for a couple of days now, I have to say that I would not recommend this model. Besides the water issue, there is a heat problem. The metal back plate used for dissipating the heat becomes very hot very fast when either of the light sources is on high, especially towards the front. This is not just unpleasant, when put flat on a wooden or plastic surface, this could definitely cause major damage and possibly start a fire; and people will instinctively put this light down that way when using the flood light as a work light, with the buttons facing up.

I have almost all Surefire lights released since the good old 6P and can honestly say that this one is a good idea executed badly. They should make this light with a metal body like the one of the Fenix LD50. Now that would deserve the Surefire name.

Yikes. This is not good. Surefire's website says "built with the Great Outdoors in mind" and "An ultrasonically welded body and charging port cover keep the elements out no matter the season." Bummers on the lack of decent water resistance.

At first I was excited about this light, but not so much now.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I read the above and am surprised. Received mine today and put it through some paces....it does get hot on high. I reprogrammed it for different profiles than stock and am pleased with the results. I quite like the light. Great having too reflectors and the Intellibeam works a lot better than I expected. I'll keep it out of the water though! I honestly do not think everyday use will pose a problem though. We'll see.

I was going to recommend it.

Mark2

Enlightened
Well, I read the above and am surprised. Received mine today and put it through some paces....it does get hot on high. I reprogrammed it for different profiles than stock and am pleased with the results. I quite like the light. Great having too reflectors and the Intellibeam works a lot better than I expected. I'll keep it out of the water though! I honestly do not think everyday use will pose a problem though. We'll see.

I was going to recommend it.

I like it too, flood and spot in one light is great (think of TK76 but much more compact), and the beams of the DBR Guardians are very nice, with just a hint of a donut hole in the middle of the flood beam. Tints are great too.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Everyday use of this light if it's used as intended would be camping,hunting,fishing,hiking. All activities where this light WILL get wet. IMO this is TOTALLY Unacceptable. Boooo!!