DBR Guardian

sld

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying & using this light daily for some months now including numerous times out at night in moderate to fairly heavy rain and at least one tumble into a small puddle and its held up fine so far. I haven't done a "dunk test", just day to day use.

Mark2

Enlightened
Update on the 2 lights with some water in them: water is still inside, lenses still fog up, but both lights have worked just fine. The small reflector on one of the lights has turned 'golden' (heat damage?), but the beam has not changed.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on the 2 lights with some water in them: water is still inside, lenses still fog up, but both lights have worked just fine. The small reflector on one of the lights has turned 'golden' (heat damage?), but the beam has not changed.

Perhaps, but I'm more inclined to think that the peeling of the reflector coating, on my 6PX, is similar, a rainbow pattern appeared. Can you take a picture?

scout24

Flashaholic
Sledhead- Could you elaborate on the changing of the UI? Iz it possible to bypass the "intellibeam" and fall back on regular outputs?

Edit- Duh... Read the whole thread why don't you. :eek:

(I mistakenly thought this was another thread. Carry on...)

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) Well, I was at the rain soaked CPF camping trip for a few days and used my Guardian every night. It did get rained on with no ill effects.:thumbsup:

Scout...you can turn the intellibeam off. You were so close to seeing it in person! :devil:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The small reflector on one of the lights has turned 'golden' (heat damage?), but the beam has not changed.

I had the same thing happen with the reflector on a Sidekick. At first I thought that it may have been a warm tint to counter the familiar greenish Surefire emitter. However the gold tint has darkened with use so I think it is indeed heat related.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another update. Camping for 2 weeks in all kinds of weather. The DBR Guardian and my Surefire Maximus were the only lights I used. Both worked great with no issues. Really liking the Guardian's different reflectors. Great all around light!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
To me this light would be a perfect camping/hiking light but I just can't pull the plug on this if people are saying that water is getting into this thing.to me that is just not right. I do not care about cosmetics in a light but water entering a reflector just doesn't work for me.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember there were problems with Minimus too - the lens was sitting too high, then it was drowned, maybe this leakage on Guardian will be fixed in the following batches? Unless of course, people will notify SF

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me this light would be a perfect camping/hiking light but I just can't pull the plug on this if people are saying that water is getting into this thing.to me that is just not right. I do not care about cosmetics in a light but water entering a reflector just doesn't work for me.

Mine has been pretty wet several times....no issues. Maybe I just got lucky. Buying the holster for it since I have been using it the most.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Had mine for about two weeks now. Overall it's been a thumbs up experience for me. I use it for dog walking and have the flood programmed to come on in low and the spot to come on in high. It works pretty good as I walk around with low lighting my path and one button press gets me high to check out things in the distance. The charge has lasted a long time in this scenario. As a previous poster mentioned, the flood suffers from a slight donut hole in the center and the tint on the flood beam is a bit too green for my taste. The spot has no problems and the tint is acceptably not green. The spot beam is really like a mixed use beam with a brighter center but very generous spill. I'm not in love with the shape of the flashlight and it's a bit too bulky overall but that's the price you pay for a rechargeable light with two different beams. In contrast, the Sidekick is much more portable but doesn't last nearly as long. If I could change anything I would have the light be programmable to come on in medium. I really like that one button push gets you high (spot) beam and one more gets you back to low (max vision). You can toggle back and forth at will without having to cycle through all the different settings. The look/design of the DBR is, to me, so uninspired that it's hard to fall in love with this light but as a tool, it works great. The search for the perfect light continues but the DBR has earned a spot in the rotation.

P.S. as others have remarked, it does get pretty warm when left on high for any length of time.

Last edited:

SunnyOwl

Newly Enlightened
Well I went all in on Amazon's recent deal of the day on these and picked up three at their $105 price. I thought I'd try one out to be sure I didn't want to return the other two, but have already decided to keep them. Maybe I'll regret that if the Li-Po battery dies with age and not just use, but I am having one as a bump in the night and find lost socks under the bed light, another as EDC in my bag, and the third for travel. Probably overkill, but I wanted a USB-C charging light so I can cut down on charging cables that I lug around.

I don't plan on dumping them in a sink of water for 5 minutes like Mark2 did, so far that has been the only reports of water? Mark2, have you considered warranting these?

As a negative, their form factor/looks are not the best. Just a bit too wide and I wish they were lighter. However, I really like everything else about them:

• Having the light stand up on the tailcap in flood lights up an entire small room very well. Yes, I lost power the night I got these and put it to good use. ;)
  • Both beams are quite nice. The throw is long enough for our 1.5 acre wooded property, but I wouldn't say it is a super long thrower. But the spread on the throw is very nice. Flood is really good for walking.
  • I like being able to swap between the two beams immediately without having to turn the light off first.
  • The intelibeam works a lot better than I would have guessed. Having the bright flood to light the dark house while walking around to dim to a non-blinding light as I inspect the fusebox and furnace convicned me to keep the flood on the mode where the intelligent beam comes on first, but a second click would be high beam. I have the other light set to the H,M,L mode.
  • USB-C charging cable is going to be my standard from here on out. Hopefully the industry moves in this direction since computers, tablets, and hopefully phones will be too.

Latest posts