DEFT edc-X

magnum70383

Enlightened
Info from Mike, "The constant on mode is adjustable. Hold the button in and it will ramp up or down. When it reaches either the highest or lowest it will blank and then you can release and it will remember this mode everytime."

magnum70383

Enlightened
I was walking my dog last night and I am blown away by the performance of this light. This thing lit up the other end of my street with ease. I need more throwers in my life... lol

star_c_star

Enlightened
I just received my DEFT edc-X. This is one impressive little light, of the highest quality.

It is rated 391 Kcd. However, since I am currently using it with one AW 18650 3400 mah battery it is "only" around 300 Kcd. Still, I clearly see the diode image 50 feet away against a sunlit wall. So I need to purchase 2 CR123 batteries (are there any rechargeable ones?)

Thanks magnum70383, for listing the UI for this light in previous posts, since it is not intuitive, especially on how to change the constant low and constant high settings.

magnum70383

Enlightened
I'm using AW ICR123 750mah rechargeables but they don't last long on full blast. I switched back to protected 3400mah 18650 cells.

star_c_star

Enlightened
I'm using AW ICR123 750mah rechargeables but they don't last long on full blast. I switched back to protected 3400mah 18650 cells.

Thanks for the information. Is the AW ICR123's protection kicking in? If that's the case, a higher drain ICR123 might fix it.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use Efest purple 18350 flat tops rated at 700mAH but reportedly being measured consistently at 900mAH. I am measuring mine now and will report when complete.

magnum70383

Enlightened
The protection kicked right in at low voltage. What do you recommend for higher drain icr123? My battery knowledge is limited lol

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the ICR123 rated at? The Efests I mentioned are rated at 10.5A continuous current. These by the way are LiMn chemistry.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those won't cut it. You need high drain batteries like an IMR or LiMn or any battery with 3A rating or more. Anything less and the protection circuit will kick in too early. I'm not an expert mind you but this is borne out by your experience.

Last edited:

magnum70383

Enlightened
Thanks. Does IMR or LiMn have any sort of protection? I don't want my batteries blowing up or dying on me when the voltage gets too low. Which brand do you recommend?

stingray3

Enlightened
I got mine today and I can not get it to come on. I tried using 18650 3100Mah protected no button top cell and I also tried an 18650 3400 mah protected button top cell and it still will not come on. I put both batteries in with positive end in first towards the light end. Any ideas Please? :confused:

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EDC-X has voltage protection (I believe I read that in this thread) so as long as you don't use them in a light with an unprotected driver you should be safe. I don't know where to get protected high drain cells but the protection circuit adds length. It will make them too long in fact to be easily used in the EDC-X. Two flat top cells are already 5mm longer than an 18650 making it harder to tighten the tail cap fully. Add a few more mm's for two protection circuits and they will likely be too long (but I do not know for sure).

I have verified that the Efest purple v1 700mAH is in fact over 900mAH of capacity at 0.5A continuous drain (700mAH is probably the capacity at ~ 5-10A drain but I am not about to test them at this current draw). I bought mine from LiIon Wholesale but you can get them from other reputable stores such as Mountain Electronics or Illumn. Sorry, don't know what it will cost to ship them to Toronto.

EDIT: I did not mean to imply that LiIon Wholesale was not reputable. They are a good vendor of LiIon batteries at attractive prices; they also respond immediately to emails. The wording was just wrong. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
stingray, I'll tell your what the Saab man told me: tighten the tail cap. It may seem like you tightened it fully but it's likely not. Give it a shot.

star_c_star

Enlightened
I got mine today and I can not get it to come on. I tried using 18650 3100Mah protected no button top cell and I also tried an 18650 3400 mah protected button top cell and it still will not come on. I put both batteries in with positive end in first towards the light end. Any ideas Please? :confused:

One idea - have you tried turning the wheel right underneath the button to each of its four settings, and then pressing the button to turn the light on right after changing the setting? One setting is momentary on (full), the next is strobe, the next is minimum (a tiny fraction of a lumen that can barely be seen), and the last is full continuous.

You may have it set at the minimum setting, which can only be seen in a dark room.

stingray3

Enlightened
stingray, I'll tell your what the Saab man told me: tighten the tail cap. It may seem like you tightened it fully but it's likely not. Give it a shot.

BINGO! I have taken the cap off numerous times and put it back on tighter and it works everytime! Thank you so much! :wave:

One idea - have you tried turning the wheel right underneath the button to each of its four settings, and then pressing the button to turn the light on right after changing the setting? One setting is momentary on (full), the next is strobe, the next is minimum (a tiny fraction of a lumen that can barely be seen), and the last is full continuous.

You may have it set at the minimum setting, which can only be seen in a dark room.

Thank you also for your great advise! :)

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is noticeably brighter but only if you compare back and forth quickly. Now if I had two I could tell you more assertively. Personally, I'd normally run it on a single Samsung 30Q and reserve the 18350 for special occasions.