DEFT-High Output Got Lux?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever seen this question asked so I'll ask...how is this light driven?

It uses 4 AA's I believe so that 6V. So it has a buck circuit until it gets to 3.6 V or somewhere in there and then does it drop out of regulation or does it have a constant current circuit that drives it at 1.7 A or whatever the figures are that I've seen in your other posts?

I'm just wondering if it throws the same distance until the batteries quit or does it gradually dim?

Thanks.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever seen this question asked so I'll ask...how is this light driven?

It uses 4 AA's I believe so that 6V. So it has a buck circuit until it gets to 3.6 V or somewhere in there and then does it drop out of regulation or does it have a constant current circuit that drives it at 1.7 A or whatever the figures are that I've seen in your other posts?

I'm just wondering if it throws the same distance until the batteries quit or does it gradually dim?

Thanks.

It's been asked and answered before. It runs on 7135 drivers. Normally 6V would be the absolute outer limit for these chips and the voltage of all the batteries together at rest exceed that but I take advantage of two things- the batteries sag while discharging and the Vf of the XR-E at 1.7A is high so the gap between pack voltage and LED Vf is not all that great. Altogether it makes for a very robust package. They do not have the super flat discharge curve the old DEFT drivers had when on the Ultimate lithiums but the 7135s allow me to run the switching on the extremely low current of the on pin for the chip which will make the switch last far far longer.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to let people know ahead of time that there will be a small run of lights available next Tuesday. Those on my email list will be receiving a notification but it will also be posted here.

By the way I meant to tell everyone here that we are pregnant with our second child.:party: Found out a couple weeks ago. Here's hoping for a girl.:grin2:

D

Deleted member 97529

Hopefully it'll be cheaper this time... :devil: or else I'll stick with my DEFT FTP. BTW, :party:!

LHolden

Newly Enlightened
Just want to let people know ahead of time that there will be a small run of lights available next Tuesday. Those on my email list will be receiving a notification but it will also be posted here.

By the way I meant to tell everyone here that we are pregnant with our second child.:party: Found out a couple weeks ago. Here's hoping for a girl.:grin2:

Did I somehow miss the small Tuesday run? Or are you still trying to finish them?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I somehow miss the small Tuesday run? Or are you still trying to finish them?
No you didn't miss it. I was delayed as we went on a camping trip this weekend and it took a bit to get back in the groove this week. But on that note.

This is to notify you that 6 DEFT-HOs, the longest throwing LED flashlight in the world, are available for sale.

The HO(High-Output) is based on the FTP and uses the shock resistant bezel but has several key parameters optimized. Here is a list of the HO upgrades from the FTP.

1.7A driver
The LED is soldered directly to solid copper.
AR coated glass pre-collimator
Leather lanyard
Higher precision main lens
Silver coated beryllium copper springs

Let's put this in perspective. The FTP smoked all the other LED lights out there and it was doing about 135K lux@ 1m typical. The HO is like taking the FTP and adding three more Tiablo A9s all into one beam. The typical performance as measured by my equipment was 180K lux!! I have even seen some perform over 200K.
The price is $375 plus shipping costs.

This is a first come first served sale.

How to order

Send me an email to omglumens "at" gmail dot com with "DEFT HO order" in the subject line.

Please provide me with your zip code if you live in the US or, if outside the US, your country so I can calculate shipping. Everything I ship goes via USPS Priority w/ insurance. As always I put the full value of the light on the customs forms and will not under any circumstances do otherwise. That means if you live in a country other than the US you will most likely be obliged to pay a customs or duty fee. Residents of Texas will also be responsible for any state taxes.

So the two things the email should contain are "I want one" and where you live.

After I have had time to figure out who gets what I will send you an email to let you know what your total is and payment instructions. After I send the return email with the total you have 24 hours to remit payment.

Note that I will not accept any order through PM as my CPF inbox cannot handle it. It must be through email.

I have tried to remove everyone who has already purchased from the notification list but if I am in error or you want removed from any further notifications please let me know. What I generally do is leave anyone on the list who did not make it. Thanks everyone! -Michael

trout

Enlightened
Just to let you know Michael the HO arrived in the UK in 2 days from your email then spent the next 7 days in UK customs and I finally collected it today from our local mail depot .

First up Man I cant believe I spent all that many beer tokens on a Torch ( flashlight ) Better not tell the CFO .

Looks astounding and beautifully put together and I have resisted the urge to dismantle it and will resist totally .

I have not yet had the chance to see it in the dark still got about 5 hours before darkness .

Is there a rechargeable AA that will fit the holder and power the light .

Thanks for a great Light

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to let you know Michael the HO arrived in the UK in 2 days from your email then spent the next 7 days in UK customs and I finally collected it today from our local mail depot .

First up Man I cant believe I spent all that many beer tokens on a Torch ( flashlight ) Better not tell the CFO .

Looks astounding and beautifully put together and I have resisted the urge to dismantle it and will resist totally .

I have not yet had the chance to see it in the dark still got about 5 hours before darkness .

Is there a rechargeable AA that will fit the holder and power the light .

Thanks for a great Light
The bore size varies from light to light. On some lights you can get the eneloops to fit if you pay attention to the overlap of the battery's cover and make sure it is not adding to the overall diameter of the pack. Whatever you do don't force a really tight pack in as you will have a time getting it out. That is why I spec Energizer Ultimate or Advanced lithium primaries. They fit just fine and give the longest runtimes anyway.

Well report back after you have experienced it in the dark.:thumbsup: