DEFT-X OMG Strikes Back!!!

hikingman

Enlightened
when I received my deft-x from michael I wrote him an e mail and asked if he knew how many deft-x's he built? He responded the next day with "probably around 70." I was just curious so if anyone ever asked me I could have an answer. Does anyone know if he will continue to do modding work?

Hope so, he still has my Deft-X to upgrade :D But to answer your question another way, in communication to me and in one of his own posts made not too long ago (for him anyway), he is working on his next big project - a smaller more EDC like light which he says will have a very high "dynamic range". It will not out throw a Deft-X.

What I don't know at all about is if he still does one-of-a-kind mod work for individuals. You would have to ask him that directly.

Dave

Last edited:

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
Not to blatantly point out the obvious, but a product that spawns a thread actively lasting over a year is a strong testament to Michael's workmanship, dedication and overall successes. I'm glad to have been a part of this ride, even if there were enough 'are we there yets?' to cause us all to seriously try to resist the urge to participate in pre-buys again. I have to wonder though, if there weren't so many of us signed up so early on, would there have been as many lights made? Either way, I love mine and am happy to have gotten a model of the farthest throwing LED light available.

Yeah yeah, chicken or egg stuff about orders vs production; but, I have to admit that I wouldn't think twice about taking part in another of Michael's adventures should he produce another sci-fi worthy light that I can't live without.

Thanks guys for the daily entertainment and frequent enlightenment. It's been a trip ;) -John

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Haha caddylover you're a wild man! I want to do whatever you do for work! Just out of curiosity what are the kcd specs on your 3 deft-x's? Looks like you have a big enough sample size there to derive a pretty accurate kcd average lol.

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha caddylover you're a wild man! I want to do whatever you do for work! Just out of curiosity what are the kcd specs on your 3 deft-x's? Looks like you have a big enough sample size there to derive a pretty accurate kcd average lol.

they are 917, 965, and 1,010Kcd and they all look the same to me! The beam is waaaayyyy too far in the air for me to tell a difference. I'll set them up one night and run down the street and hopefully I can take a pic before an airplane tries to land in my backyard:crackup:

hikingman

Enlightened
Saab posted comments about the future of the Deft-X on post #2790 and I have had a bunch of email exchanges with him regarding my own Deft-X which he has back for an update. I suggest you email or call him soon if you are still interested. He noted to me that he has had difficulties getting the performance he wants in the cool white option. He said his "normal" production (warm-yellowish tint) is almost always around 1 million cd now, but the cool whites are normally in the 930 to 950 cd range.

Hope that helps.
Dave

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
So I got my deft-x (998kcd) but my stupid batteries still haven't arrived. Really wanting to test this out but I've only got odd batteries for the minute... Could I use a 2700, 3200 and a 2400 maH just to try it out? The all have different watt hours as well. They are all protected though.. If so would it not give full output?

FelmarCorp

Enlightened
So I got my deft-x (998kcd) but my stupid batteries still haven't arrived. Really wanting to test this out but I've only got odd batteries for the minute... Could I use a 2700, 3200 and a 2400 maH just to try it out? The all have different watt hours as well. They are all protected though.. If so would it not give full output?

I don't think it would be a good idea to miss and match...
perhaps just wait to be safe ?