Destructive Incan Bulb Tests - Updated 8/27/2010 (Newer Info Added)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK, looks like Photobucket recovered from whatever. I agree that what was once a wonderful photo-sharing site turned into a half-assed operation especially when they demanded an outrageous annual fee for hosting. I never complied with their greedy demands, and recently they came back with a $5/mo offer that I thought was reasonable, and am now paying for. The only important thing here is that you friends can now again see those linked photos. It's really wonderful to see that something so old still makes a contribution to you.

I probably should post a list of all my extra bulbs to sell. Like I know I have at least 75 of the WA 1085 bulbs, and many other popular ones. Yes, I confess in this hobby, I am a hoarder! LOL! Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably should post a list of all my extra bulbs to sell. Like I know I have at least 75 of the WA 1085 bulbs, and many other popular ones. Yes, I confess in this hobby, I am a hoarder! LOL! Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Oh yessssssss!
I have 4 AW's, 2 PhD's and 3 AlanB regulators but still need proper bulb.:devil:

Many thanks for keeping this post alive!

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I think I have 8-10 AlanB and Jimmy (? High watt) regulators, the programming code file, and several of the computer programmer modules unused! LOL! You are definitely moving me to doing an inventory of all my bulbs. Then there's all my battery spot wielding making custom battery packs I was making! So many great memories! You guys can always email me at: [email protected] if I don't check in here for a while.

sylathnie

Enlightened
I think I have 8-10 AlanB and Jimmy (? High watt) regulators, the programming code file, and several of the computer programmer modules unused! LOL! You are definitely moving me to doing an inventory of all my bulbs. Then there's all my battery spot wielding making custom battery packs I was making! So many great memories! You guys can always email me at: [email protected] if I don't check in here for a while.

E-mail sent. My bulb collection could always use a few more!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried a ROP low bulb on two 21700s?
If it doesn't flash, it'll make a great ROP 2c!

I haven't tried but Pelican 3854 Hi & Low bulbs can take more overdrive than WA1111 while they are all 6 volt bulb.
WA1111 has 100 hour life but ROP 3854 has
*140 hour life.

[size=-1]* Anyone can confirm ROP bulb design life?[/size]

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
Both Pelican bulbs (Hi and Low) will run off of two 21700's an not flash. Recently I upgraded a custom Mag 3c ROP host from two 18650's to 21700's with no ill effect.

I'm not sure of the exact rated voltage is for the 3854's, but my guess is that they are rated at just over 6v (maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 to 6.4v?). Their rated voltage may also contribute to their advertised long life. The Pelican 3850 BigD flashlight that they came with was sold in two versions, one with a 6v SLA battery and the other with a 7.2v (6D) NiMh battery pack. As fivemega mentioned, they hold up well with overdrive.

Also it is worth noting that another Pelican BigD flashlight (3800) was produced that ran off 6 alkaline cells. The lamps used in that model are the Pelican 3804 8W lamps and are intended to run from 8-9 volts. You can still see packs of them for sale on EBay from time to time. They produce around 200 lumens in contrast to the 600 lumens of the 24w 3854 Hi lamp.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
...it is worth noting that another Pelican BigD flashlight (3800) was produced that ran off 6 alkaline cells. The lamps used in that model are the Pelican 3804 8W lamps and are intended to run from 8-9 volts. You can still see packs of them for sale on EBay from time to time. They produce around 200 lumens in contrast to the 600 lumens of the 24w 3854 Hi lamp.

The 3804 will also run on 7 D-cells (10.5 volts not counting voltage sag), but 2x 26650 IMR Li-ion cells will definitely fry them. I have no idea if protected Li-ions of a different size would fare better.

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
I've got a stash of 3854s and im thinking of upgrading my 2x18650 rop...

ms1496, where are you in NE Ohio? that's my stomping grounds!

I am indeed jabe1! Brunswick to be exact... Not a lot of collectors in the area that I know of. The last light meetup that I attended was in Columbus some years ago. Though I wouldn't mind coordinating something once Covid19 restrictions are lifted.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some very casual testing of a few examples of some bulbs I got recently, mainly to see if they would handle 2x Li-ion. They did, at least for the brief period I had them on for. I used my Fivemega G4 bi-pin M@g adapter with both bulbs.

The Philips 7387 is a nominal 6 volt, 10w bulb. First it went into a 4-D cell M@g fueled by Dollar store alkaline, then into a 2-D ROP setup with 2x AW IMR 26650. I'm not going to guess at output. Projected 100 hour at 6v.

The Osram 64410 S is also a nominal 6 volt, 10w bulb. First it went into a 4-D cell M@g fueled by Dollar store alkaline, then into a 2-D ROP setup with 2x AW IMR 26650. I'm not going to guess at this output, either. Projected 2000 hour life at 6v.

If Lux Luthor wanted to test them, I would be happy to send some examples along.

The one annoying thing about the 64410 S is the gloopy tip that reminds me of a Dairy Queen soft-serve cone. It's not a complete loop, but there is enough of it that when using it in the 4-D with a light-orange-peel textured reflector that it left a shadow in the center part of the beam. It's particularly annoying because this bulb has an axial filament. The same problem was not present in the 2-D using Fivemega's "bi-focal" reflector. Has anyone ever removed excess glass tip material with a Dremel, or needle file?