Destructive Incan Bulb Tests - Updated 8/27/2010 (Newer Info Added)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: Destructive Incan Bulb Tests - Updated 12/2/07

Added the AW Chinese generic 6V 30W 2000Hr bulb that has been discussed in other threads. No known default lumens were given by AW. Many thanks to AW for sending me these sample bulbs. Sturdy bulb for 30W as compared to 6V 35W, and will be interesting to see its run times.

Also added the Svetila.com equivalent of the Osram 64430, made by Tungsram (#56580), and revised the projected lumen and life stats of the Top Bulb 64430 version which I noticed had different defaults from their website here.

I have not posted the run times for bulbs yet, which continues to be a crucial factor in deciding on bulb quality. I can also see the need for a summary comparison sheet of the various 6V options.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Based on my comparison testing, I guess you could consider my implicit endorsement of AW's $3.50 6V 30W bulb by considering that I just ordered 30 of them from him. Many thanks for his sending me the samples for testing.

Waiting on the ROP being sent by Pokerstud. I posted my pix of the low resistance testing setup on first post. I continue working with AWR revising his Hotrater formulas, and being shocked at the results of the run time results.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Based on my comparison testing, I guess you could consider my implicit endorsement of AW's $3.50 6V 30W bulb by considering that I just ordered 30 of them from him. Many thanks for his sending me the samples for testing.

Waiting on the ROP being sent by Pokerstud. I posted my pix of the low resistance testing setup on first post. I continue working with AWR revising his Hotrater formulas, and being shocked at the results of the run time results.
My, friend, LL, based on your charts and having seen the physical proportions of this bulb, I know it is a bright bulb and compares very directly to the Chinese 64430. The Chinese 64430 has a similiar Lux output and predicted over 6000 lumens. I would expect this bulb to act like wise but be brighter in total lumens because of the LUX readings.
Subjectively, did it appear to out perform the 64430 in actual use as far as beam patterns and comparative brilliance?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lux, I don't get it. :thinking:

According to the charts, AW's 6 volt 30 watt mystery bulb used 64.6 watts to produce a reading of 139 lux while the Philips 6 volt 30 watt bulb produced a slightly higher 143 lux at only 37.8 watts.
I think I know what bulb my batteries would prefer.

Sure, you can crazy overdrive the AW bulb but why would you want to when other 6 volt bulbs seem so much more efficient at producing higher light levels at much lower consumption rates?

In this example, 70% higher power consumption seems an awfully high price to pay for reduced instaflash risk with the AW mystery bulb.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Northern Lights, I will have to load them both in lights using similar reflectors. As you know, bulb hotspots, artifacts, throw, and other performance characteristics are a whole other matter, and can be much more subjectively derived.

LumenHound, on a purely Lux/Watt basis, I cannot dispute your observations....however, IMHO that is too limited in evaluating an incan bulb's usefulness. I am not saying the Philips 5761 is a bad bulb if used in the proper setup....ideally with a regulated driver.

The 5761 has a VERY narrow voltage tolerance range, and because its ideal Amps are just beyond the AW Li-Ion PTC cutoff, there are few flat output battery options, despite the bulb being 50-75% more expensive (including shipping). Two fully charged Li-Ions without a PTC can easily flash the bulb unless resistance is added. AW's developing regulated D Driver would make it more useful. Until then I would not recommend using the 5761 without an AWR Hotdriver.

By contrast, the AW bulb voltage range makes it much more tolerant of direct drive battery choices. At a higher practical % overdrive, it slightly outperforms the 5761 in lux measurement.

Then there is the whole issue which I have alluded to--namely--lux dropoff with age at a particular overdrive voltage. Suffice it to say that my short term "initial max lux" readings reported on first post can drop off precipitously with accumulated run time--depending on the bulb. This additional information will need to be displayed as curves of Lux vs. Hrs (at particular voltage).

If your primary concern is choosing optimal Lux/Watt efficiency (aka: Lux/battery run time), they would choose LED's and deal with the unnatural color, flood beam, and lack of focus (aspherical LED mags excepted). While the Lux/Watt notion is of merit, I personally do not reach for a particular light thinking of which will use less energy for recharging. If I need more run time, I may choose another light, or take another set of batteries.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: Destructive Incan Bulb Tests - Updated 12/9/07 (ROP)

Big thanks to Pokerstud who sent me a set of 3854 Big D bulbs which I tested and posted on 1st thread.

I used assumptions that I read in the FAQ thread that 3854-L is 11W 6V 290L at default; and 3854-H is 24W 6V 600L at default specifications.

I didn't see a reliable value for life, and remember my Amp measurements only goes to 0.1 digits. You can also see picture of my setup which has almost no resistance. I always test bulbs with transverse filaments like this bulb has perpendicular to light sensor/tube axis. I'm not an ROP Guru, but I'm guessing that the sweet spot is the 8V 4.7A setting.

Jenova

Enlightened

This has got to be the best thread eva ;)
Needs a Sticky

Well Done Lux ;) Nice Work

Pokerstud

Enlightened

Big thanks to Pokerstud who sent me a set of 3854 Big D bulbs which I tested and posted on 1st thread.

I used assumptions that I read in the FAQ thread that 3854-L is 11W 6V 290L at default; and 3854-H is 24W 6V 600L at default specifications.

I didn't see a reliable value for life, and remember my Amp measurements only goes to 0.1 digits. You can also see picture of my setup which has almost no resistance. I always test bulbs with transverse filaments like this bulb has perpendicular to light sensor/tube axis. I'm not an ROP Guru, but I'm guessing that the sweet spot is the 8V 4.7A setting.

Lux,

I am rather amazed at what the 11W LOLA can take as compared to the 24W HOLA. Great work Lux.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Lux,

I am rather amazed at what the 11W LOLA can take as compared to the 24W HOLA. Great work Lux.

That surprised me too...but when I read the back of the 2-pack it says 3854-H is high intensity lamp; 3854-L is long time lamp. Just goes to show how much is controlled by the lamp manufacturing specifications.

missionaryman

Enlightened

that's great research on the ROP bulb, seems it can be pushed much harder and perform far better that the CPF community knew about.
great discovery

Jenova

Enlightened

hey lux how maqny of the same bulb do you test ?
is it just the on of are the results of an average of a certain amout of bulbs ?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Every report was done with two bulbs, done on different nights, except I only had one of the new ROP-H (but had two ROP-L), and one of the TopBulb version of 64430.

In every case despite taking down testing tube setup, and setting it up again another night, the results were way closer than I would have thought....flash points mostly within 0.2V of previous reading, Amps the same at every point, and Lux within 2-5 Lux at almost every voltage data point. In the 2 or 3 data point cases (out of hundreds of data points for all bulbs) where there was between 5-10 Lux difference, I took the average. Never had more than 10 Lux difference.

I take my time to measure the exact distance (1 meter) between bulb & sensor; same height & distance from side of table. I make sure to have bulbs with transverse filament perpendicular to sensor tube direction, and line up by sight from a distance behind back of tube so the bulb is centered.

Jenova

Enlightened

Well done Lux
thats pretty sweet ;)

Every report was done with two bulbs, done on different nights, except I only had one of the new ROP-H (but had two ROP-L), and one of the TopBulb version of 64430.

In every case despite taking down testing tube setup, and setting it up again another night, the results were way closer than I would have thought....flash points mostly within 0.2V of previous reading, Amps the same at every point, and Lux within 2-5 Lux at almost every voltage data point. In the 2 or 3 data point cases (out of hundreds of data points for all bulbs) where there was between 5-10 Lux difference, I took the average. Never had more than 10 Lux difference.

I take my time to measure the exact distance (1 meter) between bulb & sensor; same height & distance from side of table. I make sure to have bulbs with transverse filament perpendicular to sensor tube direction, and line up by sight from a distance behind back of tube so the bulb is centered.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Some information on my testing, and what it means.

You have to recognize that manufacturers specify a default voltage lumen output, which is ONLY accurate if they test their bulb in an "integrating sphere" ("I.S.")--which measures the total output of the bulb from all directions. This is referred to as "bulb lumens."

However, not all manufacturers that list their default voltage bulb lumens have actually had the value independently verified in an I.S., because they are quite expensive.

Then the next thing to recognize is extrapolating higher lumens based on a Welch Allyn re-rating formula (on their website URL) as voltage and current changes....is not valid for other bulb types. It even becomes invalid for WA pushed higher than 25-30% of default voltage. Specifically, notice the values of this 1185 bulb for voltage and current in the URL. By manually inserting different voltage/amperage values in the URL, you can force the WA website to use a set of formulas to predict bulb lumen output at various inputs.

Code:
http://www.walamp.com/lpd/webstore/rerate.tpl?action=rerate&V2=10.8&L2=3.36&adj=5&partnumber=01185-U
What you see on my destructive testing charts, under the "Predicted Lumens" column is based entirely on this re-rating formula from WA's website URL, once their formulas were figured out and put into a spreadsheet by CPF member AWR. In contrast, my Lux readings are ACTUAL tested results taken by light meter on 2 separate bulbs, mostly done on two separate nights. If the 2nd bulb test results did not correlate within a few lux of the 1st bulb tested (which was only the case with two bulbs), a 3rd bulb was sacrificed, and the two closest readings were then used.

This lack of objective data from bulb to bulb is why I did the destructive bulb testing. You can read my setup description in the initial post, and why I measured Lux at 1 Meter. I saw this testing as akin to Silverfox independently testing all the batteries at various Amp discharge loads.

I'm not even sure that you can use my Lux reading compared to manufacturer's default voltage bulb lumens, and extrapolate bulb lumens at raised voltages...in part because it assumes default voltage bulb lumens that the manufacturer listed are correct.

For example if you look at the 5761 bulb, Philips says at 6V it puts out 765 BL. My measurement gave 94 Lux at 6V.

So theoretically, if you wanted to know what an accurate bulb lumen reading would be at 7V, you could take my tested value of 143 Lux. Then you should be able to solve for x in this equation based upon the default "known" comparisons:

94 Lux 143 Lux
------ = ------ (cross multiply)
765 BL x BL

94x = 109,395 (solve for x)

x = 109,395/94

x = 1164 bulb lumens

Is 1164 BL more accurate than the WA formula predicting 1312 BL for a Philips bulb? Honestly, I don't know.

I do know however that an actual (repeated) Lux test reading of 143 Lux is a brighter reading than any of the Lux readings I got testing the WA 1185 bulb here. I also know that the Philips 5761 bulb is 52% brighter at 7V than at 6V....which is more reliable than the WA formula predicting it is 71.5% brighter.

Last edited:

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
Re: Destructive Incan Bulb Tests - Updated 1/7/08 (Info Added)

lux... i'll save the padding by using just one word:

thanks!

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question: I just received a newly built Mag85 from KEW,a fellow forum member. (He sent the batteries fully charged). How long do I need to wait before turning my new light on,so I don't instaflash my new Mag85's expensive bulb? (The bulb is a Welch-Allyn WA1185..)

(Also,do I need to remove the Mag's lense before turning it on?)

Thanks,Mike

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Question: I just received a newly built Mag85 from KEW,a fellow forum member. (He sent the batteries fully charged). How long do I need to wait before turning my new light on,so I don't instaflash my new Mag85's expensive bulb? (The bulb is a Welch-Allyn WA1185..)

(Also,do I need to remove the Mag's lense before turning it on?)

Thanks,Mike

It depends on which batteries, how many, state of current battery charge (NiMH drop quickly), what other stock or modded components are in it, whether he did any resistance mods, etc. It should have a glass lens and metal reflector replacing stock plastic.

DMC

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone have any experience with a Sylvania 58680?

[SIZE=-1] Light Output: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 1,450 lumens [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Energy Used: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 75 watts [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Average Lifetime: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 4,000 hours [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Volts: [/SIZE] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] 12 [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1] Bulb Type: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] T4 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Base Type: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] GY6.35 Bi-Pin [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Color Temperature: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 3,000K Axial Filament
[/SIZE]

https://www.lightbulbemporium.com/proddetail.asp?prod=58680
and
http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product.cfm?prod=SL58680

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where do the Maglite branded Xenon (Mag-num Star) drop-in bulbs weigh in here? Does their 6 Cell Xenon replacement approach the ROP L 11W? Thanks.
No, they are lower outputs. The ROP is the pelican bulb listed above.
The Mag Charger, Mags premier bipin rechargeable is 200 lumens. You see the Manum Star will fall in below that or they would put that in the MC. Manum Star is a quick, cheap and good way to get more light but there is no substitute that compares to the hot wire moddifications. The WA 01160 bulb, a bipin that is made for 5V is put into Mag Chargers at 6Vs and that runs at about 369 torch lumens. (Bulb lumens x .65 = torch lumens which is how much light goes out the front) . Next Hope the comparison helps demonstrate the differences.