Deteriorating Situation in New Orleans

DarkLight

Enlightened
Can you believe they are firing on the choppers trying to evac them?

Despite this it reaffirms my 2nd amendment beliefs, nobody is going to protect you but yourself in these kind of situations.

Where is the cavalry?

Time for harsher treatment for looters I think...

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, I was into "End of the World" literature and survival stuff.

Our current situation gives me a real sense of deja vu.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I believe the book was Thor's Hammer but in it was a quote about no where in the civilized world are we more than 24 hours away from total anarchy and complete disregard for the laws of society. The condition was based on a perceived break down in the supply of food and necessities with no apparent reinstitution of it in the near future. The psychology as I recall it in this book was not dissimilar to what we have seen happening in New Orleans. The main and significant difference though is that the situation in New Orleans is not global, national or even state wide. It may be that for those involved, either their "universe" has broken down or they had a rather weak connection with society in the first place. :(

Whether one finds either reasons or excuses for some of this behavior, most would condem it and certainly when the safety of those trying to help and rescue is at stake! Such a sad state of affairs!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
DarkLight said:
Can you believe they are firing on the choppers trying to evac them?

Time for harsher treatment for looters I think...

If I was one of the rescuers and I got a slap in the face like that, I'd do what comes naturally - leave them behind. They can solve their own problems from now on.

I just got it bad today, people whom I'm actively trying to help gave me hell, now I'm going to give them back their just deserts. Some scum truly do deserve to be left to rot. "It's my turf" -- all I gotta say is "HERE, KEEP IT, ALL OF IT"

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo, I think you're referring to "Lucifer's Hammer". And that's exactly the book that came to mind as the NO thing started to develop.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo,

Good memory, decent book! So very true!

KevinL, keep your head up!! "Life is a grindstone, whether it grinds you down to nothing, or polishes you to a high sheen is YOUR decision!"

That said, I agree about leaving their sorry butts behind!!!

I've often thought we could solve most of our criminal problem by putting a group on Alcatraz, saying, "Here is a years supply of food, we'll be back then!" and seeing what happens.

Bill

83Venture

Enlightened
Bikini Island: Some of them would probably want to go and ask where the girls in the bathing suites are. :ohgeez:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
83Venture said:
Bikini Island: Some of them would probably want to go and ask where the girls in the bathing suites are.
ohgeez.gif

That's the whole idea, they would think they were going to paradise...I'd like to see the looks on their faces when they get booted out of the Helo and radiate.
huh.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...but there are sooooo many good people that need and would accept help. It's a real shame that a few (gee I want to use different language here!! :mad:) "idiots" are causing these problems for the good folks. :thinking: :shrug:

A similar situation to some other hotspots on the globe I'd be forced to say. But at some point you just gotta say "to heck with it".

I hope all who want to be rescued get it. But perhaps it's time to send some Apaches in with the slicks....

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to minimize, but remember, you're hearing and seeing what the media wants you to hear and see.

Surfing the cable media outlets, which I've done a lot of today, made the one-up-manship really noticeable. One of the Fox guys on scene became noticiabley more strident and sensational as the day went on. I'm sure his producer kept telling him".....CNN just did.....".

Mr and Mrs Jones, who stockpiled water, food, medicine, batteries (of course) and who are doing quite well on their second floor, aren't making the news.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are only hearing CNN news. What about BBC news and other international news organizations? Is there some kind of news blackout? CNN is a notorious for inflating the news to get ratings.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the situation approaching anarchy in New Orleans now? Everyone is desperate for water & food. This is a juicy topic of discussion for survival forum.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
When will people finally take care of themselves and stop being reliant upon handouts from the federal government?

If you decide to live in a situation where the cards are stacked against you, you need to take some responsibility for your life and stop blaming your predicament upon someone else.

Why couldn't people have stored some water beforehand? Why couldn't people have kept a few cans of cheap food?

I wonder how many of the people in NO did not even know that a hurricane was coming!

Very sad to say the least.

If you live in a bad area for a storm, get out before that storm hits!

Empath

Flashaholic
Some may have done that, Brian. It's hard to retrieve your food stash or water when it's blown half way across the city, or if a diving suit is required.

While I know nothing about New Orleans, I think I would have tried finding a way out of town, and away from the waters, instead of standing around waiting for the Red Cross. Of course, you have to keep in mind that this is just ravings from one with no true comprehension of the logistics against it. More likely, at my age, I'd probably done as some others did after spending days in the hot sun without food or water. I'd just lie down at the side of the road, ask everyone to excuse me, and die.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
I think when this is (someday) all over and done with, we must ask ourselves the following questions:
- Why wasn't a mandatory evac order in place?
- Why weren't the 300+ school buses used to shuttle those without means of transportation out?
- Why was a better emergency plan not put in place with continued emphasis upon being self sufficent for 72 hours?
- Why was the place built below sea level in the first damn place!

I don't live in NO, but I, and many others, have these same questions.

Oh yeah, does anyone realize that other places were destroyed too like the previous poster said?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find this interesting:

Q: General, you mentioned a disintegration of the New Orleans Police Department. Do you know how many officers are still on duty?

GEN. BLUM: I would rather not say. I think you'd be better to refer that question to the mayor of New Orleans. I have my own estimate. I would say they are significantly degraded and they have less than one-third of their original capability.

Q: So is it fair to say it is the National Guard that's keeping law and order in New Orleans?

GEN. BLUM: No. As long as there's one uniformed police officer in the city of New Orleans, we will send as many National Guard soldiers to augment, support and work in support of that lone law enforcement officer as necessary. So if hypothetically there's only one left, who's in charge? It's still that lone police officer supported by the National Guard in their role as military support to law enforcement.

We are not in the lead. We have no need nor intention of imposing martial law or having the military police the United States of America.

182 words excerpted, although as this is from A DoD Briefing , I don't think Copyright applies.