Did I get ripped off on infrared torch?

wahoowad

Newly Enlightened
I purchased this infrared torch off eBay: UltraFire 5W IR Infrared Red CR123A Torch With Pouch Set WF502B-5WIR (For NVG)

It arrived and provides marginally adequate IR illumination out to 20 yards or so (for my night vision camera).

Today I came across these infrared drop-in replacements.

1 watt: 1W 850 nm Infrared IR LED Lamp Replacement Bulb 501B 502B 503B C1 L2 6P G2 C309S
5 watt: 5W 940nm Infrared IR LED Replacement Bulb for Surefure 6P Ultrafire 501B 502B L2

The 1 watt unit shows a single emitter in the bulb. The 5 watt unit shows 4 emitters in the bulb.

The unit I purchased only has a single emitter in the bulb. How can I tell if I am getting 5W output? I am wondering if they call it 5 watt but simply send you a 1 watt bulb and think you'll never know the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

wahoowad

Newly Enlightened
chinese vendor offered to 'give me some money back' when I suggested the emitter was not 5W

Newuser01

Enlightened
take it and chalk it up as a learning experience? I know nothing about IR. So I can't be any help about IR drop ins. Some one will surely be coming along and give you some advice about that.
One thing - can you measure the tail cap reading? That will help you find your answer better.
Good luck

Walterk

Enlightened
How can I tell if I am getting 5W output?

In the same manner as how you would conclude you are getting 1W output.

Remove the tailcap with the switch and then measure the amps by using the probes from the multimeter between battery and the bare aluminium from the tube.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
The IR drop-in units are not too good for anything other than close in flood illumination. I had a 1 and 5 watt version and did not notice a difference but back then I did not look at the emitter to see how many each one had?

I believe cameras use some sort of digital NV? These respond well to higher IR wavelengths like 850-940 nm.In the UK people are raving about the Nightmaster 800 IR torch by Dereelight I believe? Fantastic ranges are being reported using digital night vision so at the moment this torch seems no. 1 if you don't want to use IR lasers.

You can get decent IR led chips from Osram (Black Series) and fettle your own torch using cheap aspheric torches and replace the stock led.

Steve.

kidde

Newly Enlightened
You went in unprepared. Hard to say if they ripped you off. It's possible it's 5W but a flood pattern. I assume you wanted more throw. See if you can find someone who needs it and order another paying closer attention to how it fits your needs.

Edstar78

Newly Enlightened
I would say yes, you got ripped- so did I. I ordered the 5 watt ultrafire ir and got an ir torch that barely illuminates 2 m in front of me. The vendor offered for me to pay $10 more for the 15 w led drop in but I'm just going to get a refund. Rubbish.

evo

Newly Enlightened
I was told that a single chip (ir) could not produce 5watts of illumination don't know weather this is true, but when I was first messing about with night vision I did buy allsorts of IR droppins and to be honest thay are a total waste of money, if you want a decent IR then nothing comes close to the osram oslon black this is truelly the best out there

Walterk

Enlightened
+1 on Evo.

Do you know the Uniquefire T20 zoomie? Glue the head of the 109-led flashlight on the bezel of the T20 and voila; a P60 zoom Deft single 18650.
You will need or mod the threaded pill for that, P60 wont work.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Some night vision equipment sees better at 850 nm but not at 940 nm.

IE: No matter what the output is at the longer wavelength, if your equipment can't SEE IT, the "light" will be dim.

:D

SOME equipment DOES see 940 nm, so, its worth checking before buying replacement lights, etc.

I have a SF Hellfire with IR, and it pumps out a TON of IR light for example...so there ARE at least some excellent lights that do work for that....but you should see what the frequency response for your night vision stuff is....just in case.

Last edited: