Do all P1's look like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clipse

Enlightened
Mine works fine but its a bit rough inside.

fenixhead1.jpg

fenixhead2.jpg

Just curious, do they all look that rough?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
All 3 P1s I've purchased has the solder like that, but the center contact on mine are all much cleaner. Yours looks dirty and scratched up. And why is it silver?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P1 looks pretty much the same. It has what looks like solder on the center contact extending over to a slighty rolled over edge.

Last edited:

dougmccoy

Enlightened
It would seem that the bodies of Fenix lights are consitantly made to a high standard which indicates (to me) mass production techniques. However, from the appearance of the solder joints I've seen and the one you have pictured I've no doubt that a less than skilled solderer has/is responsible. The way the solder has been filed off on one corner to allow the bezel to fit snugly is a bit amateurish!

However, for what Fenix lights cost is this really an issue?

Doug

x2x3x2

Banned
I've had 3 P1s and 2 of them have silver blotches in the center of the brass-colored + contave point. doesnt seem to affect use in anyway.
Note, beam tint on the 1 without the sliver blotch is purplish. Tints on the one with silver blotches are almost pure white. Might be just a coincidence, i dunno.

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a rare person. I appreciate a light that has extra attention to extra details both outside and the internal workings. Nice looking internals make me think someone was proud and cared about designing a light for their customer, not cutting costs. A balanced design seems more professional and consistent. A well designed light with that is clean looking inside assures me of a well thought out design. In opposition, a light that is cobble together with off-the-shelf parts, solder used mechanical assembly and unskilled assembly is not assuring.

A fine looking light can hide a lot of unrefined flaws in design and assembly, as the P1 shows.

Lights with finely machined internal parts exist. They cost more then the P1 but you get your better quality for your money.

Edit: Image removed as unnecessary personal commercial plug. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Seven: Your post was deleted due to inflammaotroy comments. You can re-post, but please keep it civil.

Re-opened...

--dan

Last edited:

steve_vance

Enlightened
dougmccoy said:
It would seem that the bodies of Fenix lights are consitantly made to a high standard which indicates (to me) mass production techniques. However, from the appearance of the solder joints I've seen and the one you have pictured I've no doubt that a less than skilled solderer has/is responsible. The way the solder has been filed off on one corner to allow the bezel to fit snugly is a bit amateurish!

However, for what Fenix lights cost is this really an issue?

Doug

looks to me like they CNC the bodies then send the assembly out to a sweatshop :lolsign:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
tigerdale, please read CPF rule #6 and edit your post accordingly.
Also, if you read dano's comments you should know that 4sevens' post wasn't deleted because of the ono-topic arguments it contained. He was even invited to re-post those without the inflammatory remarks.

Please continue this thread on-topic. Further disruption will have consequences.

Thanx. :)

bernhard

carrot

Flashaholic
For what you pay for the thing, I couldn't be less happy, despite the roughness on my P1.

... How come no one's ever complained about the Arc-AAA using a solder blob for a contact, instead of a solid metal post?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I think Steve Vance has probably hit the nail on the head about how these lights are assembled. FWIW the tail threads on all my Fenix lights are fine. However, a bad piece of alluminum (and I expect Fenix machines quite a few bad bits) wont machine well even with a CNC!

Doug

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a word YES they do. This is typical of Cheap Chinese flashlights.
Some mention of quality made flashlights have been mentioned even a reference to another thread with pictures comparing quality vs well what is shown here in this thread.

Have any of you guys heard about buying quality shoes?
You can spend $250 on a pair of shoes easily...if the fit is correct and they are truly high quality they will last for many years. Now one could just as easily purchase $250.00 worth of crappy shoes in the same time frame that the good single pair would last. Much the same is true when buying the the flashlight of today. These $50.00 lights simply will not hold up under any substantial abuse they are likely to break and or self destruct when you least expect it.

Personally I will avoid knowingly purchasing these cheap chinese made flashlights where ever possible, opting instead for higher quality US made lights (some of which contain foreign components or even machine work). HDS is a good example of the type of flashlight that will capture my future flashlight buying dollar as are the flashlights made by McGizmo.
Just My Humble Opinion. This post is not intended to inflame or enrage anybody. It is anot so simple answer to a simple question and an expression of opinion, which includes an analogy to shoe buying to flashlight buying.
Yaesumofo

clipse said:
Mine works fine but its a bit rough inside.

Just curious, do they all look that rough?

Status
Not open for further replies.