Do you prefer the HDS Rotary UI over the HDS Clicky UI???

Which HDS UI do you prefer???

• I prefer the new Rotary UI!

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • I prefer the Clicky UI!

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • I love both UIs equally!

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Screw the Clicky & Rotary - give me an updated Twisty!!!

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
When put down, does the rotary roll away from you on a slightly inclined surface? The reason I ask is that there is no clip or squared off surface to prevent a roll.
It's a cylindrical object. Of course it will roll on an incline.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
I am curious too. I have washed mine in a sink full of water but that is about it. Unfortunately, HDS lights are so hard to come by right now that I wouldn't want to risk mine and wait another year to receive a replacement, or else I would have tried submerging my rotary in a pool for an hour and post my findings here.

Specifically states under FAQ that rotary is not designed to be used under water.

We do not recommend you use your flashlight as a dive light. The rotary seals are not designed to seal when in motion and the water pressure will eventually press the button - as if you were pressing it manually. However, you can configure the flashlight so the press-and-hold preset setting is the same as the turn on preset setting so water pressure activating the switch will have no......

Last edited:

blueo8

Newly Enlightened
I prefer clickies too at this point.
One, I am used to the UI more. (I have the tactical rotary) I would probably like the Executive rotary UI better.
Two, I only need 4 settings.
1 ultra low: when it is pitch black, you only need a little light
2 Medium low: for most applications
3 Top High: For what ever needs lighting up
4 Tactical strobe: Love nauseating myself in the dark and can't see how someone could stand it for long if they were approaching me at night.

The in-betweens of the rotary are kind of just extra. Nice, but I don't really need 12 to 24 increments of adjustment at any one instance.
I have had my rotary one day and just carried it in my pocket. I don't know what or how, but the rotary got a little crunchy from some kind of grit that got in it. It is out and gone now, but it was kind of unpleasant.
I could see how the Executive model interface that mirrors the clickies in ability to set 4 presets could be good, but one button has served me perfectly.

I love my rotary, and have been playing with it and am making it set up in a way that gives me close to what I have on my clickie and the rotary can take the place of 3 of my settings on the clickie with a press and hold for the strobe, but I think the KISS of the clickie is preferable.

davyro

Enlightened
I own 5 HDS lights & own clickies ,rotary & a twisty & have done for a few years & I couldn't advise for you to go either way as I use the different style of light for different situations & I can say for definite they both are fantastic performers in every aspect & you wont go wrong getting whichever you choose.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The in-betweens of the rotary are kind of just extra. Nice, but I don't really need 12 to 24 increments of adjustment at any one instance.
I fail to see how having direct access to the full range of brightness levels with just the twist of a knob is any less "KISS" than the Clicky. Actually, my wife would never touch my Clicky because she found it too complicated, but she loved the Rotary UI so much than when I got a high CRI Rotary, she immediately pocketed my cool white Rotary and carries it with her every day.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fail to see how having direct access to the full range of brightness levels with just the twist of a knob is any less "KISS" than the Clicky.

Ditto. Full disclosure - I don't actually have a clicky nor have I ever handled one, but if I understand correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do) its really the same UI as the rotary except...without the rotary selection. In other words, you have to choose one set output for mode B so it always comes on in that output instead of having the rotary input available for that memory position, so if I never touched the rotary control on the back of my light it would basically work just like a clicky.

So from that perspective, I can't see the appeal of the clicky at all. I LOVE my Rotary, but I really have no interest in adding a clicky to my collection.

...unless there's something that I'm missing here?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
...unless there's something that I'm missing here?
Nope. You got it right. The primary reason people prefer the Clicky to the Rotary is because the Clicky is theoretically more robust even though it would take extreme abuse to cause either light to malfunction. I suppose it's possible for grit to work its way into the Rotary dial, but this has never been a problem for me, and in a worst case scenario, the Rotary can always be operated like a Clicky.

scout24

Flashaholic
Emarkd- I've played with my Rotary quite a bit, and I recall being able to set it up with rotary control as all four presets, and also without rotary at all. (Four set output levels, no rotary control at all.) I may have misunderstood you though, thought you meant you HAD to have rotary chosen as one of the presets. If I misunderstood, I apologize...

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The primary reason people prefer the Clicky to the Rotary is because the Clicky is theoretically more robust

Ah, I hadn't considered that angle but I can see that being the case. The clicky is clearly a simpler mechanism.

Emarkd- I've played with my Rotary quite a bit, and I recall being able to set it up with rotary control as all four presets, and also without rotary at all. (Four set output levels, no rotary control at all.) I may have misunderstood you though, thought you meant you HAD to have rotary chosen as one of the presets. If I misunderstood, I apologize...

No apology necessary. I can see how my comment could've been interpreted that way. I do understand that you can move the Rotary to any of the 4 presets, or none at all. So in effect the end user can pretty easily reprogram their rotary to act just like a clicky if they wanted to.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
Nice 3 year thread bump!

I perfer the clicky mechanism.

The rotary makes more sense, is more intuitive, allows for more precise control of brightness levels, and is thus probably a better option for most people. I really like rotary control for a headlamp/non-edc flashlight; i.e., the Surefire Miniumus.

But personally, I just don't like any twisty mechanisms for edc lights in my pocket. There isn't really a rhyme or reason. I found myself playing with the rotary too much, and I didn't like (the idea of) it spinning in my pocket. I like clicking the flashlight and knowing which level is coming on. Just personal preference.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. It's the clicky for me, I have three.

>Insert rotary rant :poke:

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. You got it right. The primary reason people prefer the Clicky to the Rotary is because the Clicky is theoretically more robust even though it would take extreme abuse to cause either light to malfunction. I suppose it's possible for grit to work its way into the Rotary dial, but this has never been a problem for me, and in a worst case scenario, the Rotary can always be operated like a Clicky.

I'd say it's more than theoretical but I'll leave it at that.
I prefer the clicky as for me it is a superior interface for work and edc.

blueo8

Newly Enlightened
One button over one button and a rotary. I have a tactical rotary, and It is hard to know what level I had it on after a certain amount of time. I can count on the clickie always coming on at the same level with no suprises. With the rotary, I may blind myself with full output or only have momentary, and have to take a minute to rotate the rotary down to another level.
I fail to see how having direct access to the full range of brightness levels with just the twist of a knob is any less "KISS" than the Clicky. Actually, my wife would never touch my Clicky because she found it too complicated, but she loved the Rotary UI so much than when I got a high CRI Rotary, she immediately pocketed my cool white Rotary and carries it with her every day.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like rotary better. I'm also very tempted by the tac rotary. After all 12 levels is really enough for any task and I've added the tactical functionality. Fortunately, the price and shipping delays help keep me away from another HDS purchase. If dealers ever get the new models in stock the temptation begins anew.

On Friday in lab I used my sc62w instead of my HDS when illuminating a specimen and trying to go from low to medium with a long press I accidentally got high and nearly blinded everybody. I learned my lesson. The Zebralight is a great edc but I should stick to my rotary in lab. No mistakes. That is what makes the rotary so great you're not going to accidentally go to the wrong mode. I also found ZL m2 not bright enough but m1 too bright. That doesn't happen with the HDS rotary. Outdoors and for everyday work I still prefer the sc62w because of its potential to be really bright if you want it. My HDS 170n may be bright enough for most experienced outdoorsman but I like how it illuminates an entire hallway or parking lot.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it's more than theoretical but I'll leave it at that.
I prefer the clicky as for me it is a superior interface for work and edc.
As I said, both lights will survive all but the most extreme abuse, so any differences in durability are purely theoretical as far as the average user is concerned.

As for the UI, the Rotary can be operated just like a Clicky, only with the added convenience that you have easy access to all 24 brightness levels. To say that the Clicky is "superior" implies that this feature is somehow a disadvantage, and I just don't see how.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
One button over one button and a rotary. I have a tactical rotary, and It is hard to know what level I had it on after a certain amount of time. I can count on the clickie always coming on at the same level with no suprises. With the rotary, I may blind myself with full output or only have momentary, and have to take a minute to rotate the rotary down to another level.
You can easily tell by the general brightness level by sight or feel. Or you can always set the turn-on preset to a medium level like 25 lumens and then set the dial as your double-click.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I said, both lights will survive all but the most extreme abuse, so any differences in durability are purely theoretical as far as the average user is concerned.

As for the UI, the Rotary can be operated just like a Clicky, only with the added convenience that you have easy access to all 24 brightness levels. To say that the Clicky is "superior" implies that this feature is somehow a disadvantage, and I just don't see how.

I believe we've had this discussion before?
Anyway, as I said, I believe it's more than theoretical. Both tough, yes but I can guarantee that I'd get either dirt or moisture etc into a rotary especially the Hyper Red that I use for work.
Yes, for me the clicky is superior. I don't need or want a dial as for my use and handling of the light it would be a disadvantage whether it be as a work light or edc.
I get that you and most others favour the rotary but I'm one who prefers the clicky both handling and interface wise.