Do you refrain from turning on house lights as excuse to use flashlights?

Vesper

Enlightened
Proudly, yes. My wife come out and catches me once in a while too. I just get the smirk and head shake. :shakehead The way I look at it, no need to light up the whole house just to find that thing I left upstairs.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I'm single so I don't have to worry about waking someone or a critter and I have at least a half dozen AC night lights and can make it to the bathroom without turning anything on. I have 5 LED night lights in my chandelier and leave it on all night. I have a couple Safelights running 24/7 in the darker places in my apartment. About a month or two ago I started using my modified (increased resistor values to make it a more of a power outage light) Walmart 24 LED tent light turned upside down in my bedroom as a night light. I use a real flashlight to read the display on my BC-900 in the dark. So, I don't really make a special effort to turn all the lights off just to use my flashlights. It's just the normal way I do things. The lighting at night is just a hair above seeing colors. My apartment looks more like it's lit by a full moon all the time.

hazna

Enlightened
Unfortuneately I don't go camping, late night fishing or do many other activities that require a flashlight. Using them around the house with no lights on is one of the few excuses I can give myself to having them around. I was thinking of taking up spelunking to make more use of them, haha
rolleye11.gif

computernut

Enlightened
I routinely use my A2 Y/G on low to find my clothes in the morning without disturbing my fiancee. I also use my L1 with F04 on low to light the bathroom when I'm showering and brushing my teeth. My fiancee just shakes her head whenever she sees me doing this. If I need to go to the basement to grab something, instead of hitting the switch which turns on like 6 lights, I just use my EDC.

icpd30

Newly Enlightened
I actually had never even considered something like that until I read it here. Ahh, CPF...full of new ideas. I just hope someone doesn't see me shining a flashlight around a dark house and call police. DOH!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hah! My wife just complained last week that she is pretty sure the bulk of our monthly electric bill is probably going to, "that ridiculous giant glowing recharger that's always on in your study" (C9000).

When I explained that it is more than made up for by the fact that I almost never turn houselights on, she gave me a rather dubious look.

I kind of doubt it, since 1 KWH is less than $.07 here during peak usage hours. Less at other times. Unless electricity is drastically more expensive where you are. For those that don't know, 1 KWH is equivalent to running ten 100-watt light bulbs for one hour.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turn off the lights to save energy, or to keep my eyes adapted the the level I need at the time. Which just turns out to be a great reason to take a flashlight if I need to move around the house a bit.

uknewbie

Banned
House lights? Some kind of light stuck to your ceiling that you can't carry about?

Absurd.

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
i do it when i'm at work and the others guys are already gone home - and i do it at home all the time, especially when my wife is in bed and i do not want to wake her up

Why go to bed if you're not going to wake her up? :kiss:

I know, I know. Bad Gordo. Bad.
But when I'm bad I'm better. :devil:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread - guilty here too.

My wife thinks I am nuts...... All I have to do is ask her if she would prefer I play with flashlights or hang out at bars and drink and do drugs with the guys - that usually ends the disagreement pretty quickly.

There should have been a part two to the question which "and what light do you use?" considering this is mostly very low lumen usage.

I use an A2 YG.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Who wants to crank on a large room lights when you can just use a flashlight set on moon beam to get around late at night. It So much more comfortable on the eyes.Now that I have some,I gladly use them when I can. LF3XT rocks.:laughing:

LightShine

Newly Enlightened
You bet I do, flashlights are way too cool to not use every chance I get. Flashlights - both useful and fun, I guess that means I'm a flashaholic. Oh well, at least I'm in good company.:wave:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It used to be my flashlights are closer and more handy than the closest house light switch.
HouseFlashlightssmall.jpg

Then I got 2 1W Luxeon bulbs and installed them as nitelites in the kitchen and bedroom. So the bathroom flashlight/house light became the most used.
Kitchenlight640.jpg

Bedroomnitelite640.jpg

Now I have a 2W Cree in the hallway.
It lights up:
Top left - kitchen, dinette;
Bottom left - living room;
Bottom right - bedroom;
Bottom - bathroom.
I don't need my flashlights anymore.
2W-LED-vs-nitelite.jpg

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
I use a flashlight for feeding my baby at night, the dim light keeps her from waking up, and she goes right back to sleep after drinking her bottle.