Does Anybody Have Any Suggestions On a Headlamp For Horseback Riding?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, I ride horseback at night and I am looking for any suggestions on a good headlamp for that.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that for you or the horse? ;-)

All joking aside, I don't ride horses, but I assume their night vision is pretty good. If you wear a headlamp, it seems to me that the beam might cast a nasty shadow for the horse in what seems like would be a critical viewing location - where the animal will be stepping next. Perhaps the extreme light/dark contrast might impair the animal's good night vision?

But then again, what do I know?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight H600. Very bright, excellent output options, excellent runtimes, and the best user interface around. You'd need a sturdier headband so the light doesnt bounce around while on your horse. The NiteIze headband works great for this, and is very sturdy. This is my favorite trail running set up before sun up.

electrothump

Enlightened
Coast HL7, or LedLenser H7. Simple, and very effective mechanical dimming, and mechanical focus. No modes to cycle through, and very bright. The H7 is slightly easier to use. The HL7 is a little heavier built, and has a cleaner beam. Either beat the Zebralights for ease of use, and simplicity hands down. However that doesn't take anything away from the Zebralights, which are indeed fine lights.

pavel

Newly Enlightened
Is that for you or the horse? ;-)All joking aside, I don't ride horses, but I assume their night vision is pretty good. If you wear a headlamp, it seems to me that the beam might cast a nasty shadow for the horse in what seems like would be a critical viewing location - where the animal will be stepping next. Perhaps the extreme light/dark contrast might impair the animal's good night vision?But then again, what do I know?
Well.... http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/zernovka44/p1010019.jpg:-).Anyway... you can ride with headlamp, and it works pretty well. Horse night vision... maybe it is better than human (and they kind-of try to use sonar, too), but I have seen horses refusing to go somewhere before I shined light there. Just be sure not to scare the horse.(And yes, I'm looking for good headlamp for riding, too.) --p

Travissand

Newly Enlightened
With all that bouncing you will want one that attaches to a hat or has a headband and a strap that goes straight over the top of your head. It will need to have a strong hinge position holder and be on the "not very heavy side" I have done a review of my headlamps you can see it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDwQz2Zta4w
But I dont think my lights will be good for you because some of the bouncing will cause the battery to jiggle and the light will simply shut off. I bet the headlamps made for bicycling will suite you best. Because they will not randomly shut off like that. Here is one on eBay but I warn you I have no idea if the bouncing will knock the tilt up and down as you ride but Id like to think it if it is strong enough a biker it should work for you. I do like that it will be a little lighter because the battery pack can be in your pocket. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-CRE...878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27be09a9ce

pavel

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend got me Zebralight h600. It seems to work pretty much okay; low power mode is still a bit too powerful, and zebra is a bit picky about battery insertion, but it seems to do the job. It is small enough to fit under a helmet. It does bounce a bit, but works pretty well.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
My girlfriend got me Zebralight h600. It seems to work pretty much okay; low power mode is still a bit too powerful, and zebra is a bit picky about battery insertion, but it seems to do the job. It is small enough to fit under a helmet. It does bounce a bit, but works pretty well.
Remember there are 2 low modes L1 and L2 and you switch between them with a double-click. I'd be very surprised if L2 mode was still to bright. Sorry if you're aware of all that.

pavel

Newly Enlightened
Yes, L2 is still a bit too bright -- I blind for people around me who have no flashlights. I guess I'll try L2 rotated against my head. L1 is _way_ too bright.