Does anyone like Surefire anymore?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to hate SF due to them being so expensive. Then I took a chance on the DF Fury and am hooked. I now have 5 Surefires. All of them have been reliable as a framing hammer.
When you carry the Fury, carry a back-up light, too. I've found I can't depend on the DFT 100%, as I have had the LED burn several times.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to buy SureFire lights because they're good solid flashlights. That whole lego thing to me was just an "awe aint that cute it can lego" thing. Since the EDCL-2T came out they've not had any models I'm interested in.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Surefire. I am quite sure if the EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT are available that I buy one of each, maybe even a 2nd if the 2 other colors are nice.

In the last years ther was not that much cool new stuff released by Surefire. The last lights I bought were 4 Aviators and a E1B-MV.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Back in the day, meaning around the time I joined CPF, I used to be able to buy Surefires for about half price when they upgraded to a new brightness level and those are the flashlights I still use all the time and rely on. Reliability is key and the only issue I've had with them was when the rubber on the tail cap of an old E1B backup gave out. Not being resident in the USA, I had a little trouble with getting that replaced, the struggle was real, but Surefire came through eventually. Would I buy a new Surefire? Probably only something specialized like a weapon light.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
8 years ago the flashlight section at WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Grainger etc was huge and empty spaces galore. Now they all have paultry spacing with dust collecting on product.

Plus, yeah I know people in the industry.

And actually PK played a part in the G series. He helped design the LED that went into the G2L, then later the thermal step down. He worked with his brother, a designer at Motorola with the thermal stepdown and ARC ceo Peter Gransee to get away from what he called "baby puke green" tint. We all know it was an awful shade of blue at first but later it was not. He wanted to have G2's sold at WalMart, Radio Shack etc but "the boss" said no. That led to him releasing his Icon series later.
I bet it is due to the light on the smart phones. I heard Kim Komando say on a commercial that PC sales are down, and I bet that the smart phones are responsible for that, too. You see these Zombies all the time, walking, bent over looking at their smart phones, texting, playing video games, listening to music, talking with the phone function, they are on that thing all the time. If we ever have an EMP attack, or a coronal mass ejection, that wipes out electronics, people are going to panic--and they won't be able to function, because they have built up their world around technology, especially that pocket wonder, the smart phone.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Think about it this way;
When the home computer was a new thing everybody bought one. Once everybody had one sales fell. Upgrades took over. When those platued sales fell further. Then the laptop took over. PC's were being replaced by laptops. Now laptops by tablets. Tablets by smart phones.

The vcr was a huge hit. Sales were great. Once everybody had one they fell off. Upgrades replaced them. Then the dvd player hit. Then blu ray, now streaming. Neither of my son's own a tv. They do have big ole monitor's though.

Now to flashlights; the light bulb began being replaced with LED lights. When 300 lumens was the norm everybody had to have one. Then it was 500, then 700, by then most who wanted one had one. Companies like SureFire, Maglite, Elzetta et al make lights that last a decade. Repeat customers occur when upgrades occur. Aside from the Asian super-nova bright numbers flashlights have largely peaked. So now sales follow the same routine as PC's and VCR's.

Then some of SureFire's big contracts were not renewed. Same with Maglite. Both companies downsized around 2016 or so. Streamlight is likely the only "large" light maker who's sales are at least flat, not sloping like a ski slope. But that's because they constantly introduce new ideas.

And yes the celphone light has played a role but that's mainly folks who otherwise would likely not own a flashlight to start with.

For EMP I have light bulbs stashed and ready to go.

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I remember when I got my first Surefire light, it was around 2003/2004 when I was an LE Explorer for a local PD. Originally I had a rechargeable maglite cause they had the chargers in all of the patrol cars. One of my explorer advisors told me that I should get a Surefire light as they were useful little lights. So I go down to the local GI Joes and picked up my first, it was a G2 Nitrolin light that put out a whopping 65 lumens. Cost me 35 bucks, which is cheap by now and days.

Whelp, I carried it through my first job and I ended up getting water in it and the batteries heated up and expanded. It burned out the bulb and ruined the light. I contacted Surefire and they were super nice folks. They had me send it back along with my cheap nylon holster. They sent be a brand new G2 with a new holster along with some batteries. I was hooked ever since. I still have that light to this day, granted it has a b90 battery in it and it has a P60 LED drop in. That is what sold me on the brand. Maybe a bit of nostalgia (shrugs).

Bogie

Enlightened
I only own 3 brands of lights Surefire, Inova, CMG
I trust my life at times to SF with my job there are times not having a light is a bad decision.

So on duty it's a DFT Fury on my belt and a 6PX on my helmet.
Off duty is a new Aviator

Attachments

• IMG_9615.jpeg
    IMG_9615.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 104

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only own 3 brands of lights Surefire, Inova, CMG
I trust my life at times to SF with my job there are times not having a light is a bad decision.

So on duty it's a DFT Fury on my belt and a 6PX on my helmet.
Off duty is a new Aviator
I see you have your own minion. Sweeet! 👍

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I'm not too fond of the new designs as well. I loved having PK work at surefire as well as stopping by the forums. I still collect vital gear lights and accessories when they pop up. The pk collab 4sevens lights are still some of my favorites. I also have a powertac PK warriors sitting on a desk. I still love surefire but they haven't made anything that stands out in quite a while. I still buy a few G2X maxvisions for my muggle friends and family. Not too long ago i bought a few ED-CL1t's for a few of my dirty minded friends. Dirty jokes abound at night when we've had a few.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
For all the love of PK designs, I continue to be at a loss to explain the very odd regulated behavior (ie. the dramatic stepped decline) of the Icon series, compared to the relatively flat regulation of the earlier LED lights that were under his purview at SF. The CPF discussions at the time did not settle upon any engineering explanation (thermal regulation was considered and eliminated as a candidate), and even PK declined to go into specific details as to why their regulation was so unusual, compared to earlier SF lights.

I will certainly credit the adequate thermal limiting of SF's P60LED dropin discussed earlier in this thread; the circuitry effectively adapted to all-nitrolon G2's just as well as all-aluminum 6P's, for example. The basic handicap of that particular dropin was the heatsink patent that Gene M had on the Malkoff series of P60 dropins, from what I understand.

But the bottom line was that the Malkoff M60L or LL just /buried/ the SF P60LED for outputs and runtimes, at only a modest additional cost. Plus their considerably-superior reliability; there certainly were a number of CPF discussions about failed / burned out P60LED's. No such discussions about failed M60L's or M60LL's, IIRC.

Last edited:

Bogie

Enlightened
What holster do you use for your FURY DFT? I'm using a NITE-IZE POCK-ITS for mine.
Currently an Uncle Mikes snap closed nylon unit designed for the 6P. PN #88181
I have tried a few brands the Velcro doesn't hold up for me. I'm rather disappointed SF does not make a good one for the Fury. Next might be a custom Kydex one for me.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Currently an Uncle Mikes snap closed nylon unit designed for the 6P. PN #88181
I have tried a few brands the Velcro doesn't hold up for me. I'm rather disappointed SF does not make a good one for the Fury. Next might be a custom Kydex one for me.
used to be they would make those Kydex spring loaded holsters, I wanna call the model number V70. They also made a bigger version for the M3 and such, then you could find something that would fit.

V70:

1692932924037.png

V71: for surefire M3

1692933021648.png