Does the HM50R V2.0 headlamp drop output on high?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll probably never use the 700 lumen turbo, but wondering about sustained output on high at 400 lumens.

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have posted this here - I failed to note the sub-forum this is in. I should let FS answer their own questions - they're better at it than I am!

There's a bit of an output graph on this page which shows 4 main levels. There seem to be few lights in '22 that are flat line from T=0 all the way out, so if that's the kind of 'sustained' you're looking for, I wouldn't even know where to start looking for that. This looks fairly usable by today's standards though.

I don't have the new version, but do have 2 of the original HM50Rs, and they're used daily and have become indispensable to me. I really like them a lot. Very small and light and handy, and perfect for 9X% of my uses. I still need something with higher output / run time performance for the few needs I have that require that, and am inclined to look to Fenix for that given how happy I am with the HM50Rs I have. TBD.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: I probably shouldn't have posted this here - I failed to note the sub-forum this is in. I should let FS answer their own questions - they're better at it than I am!

Edit bump: Please disregard my previous post, which was made in error:-(

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
To make sure we quote the accurate response, I have sent this to the Fenix engineer. I will post his answer here when I hear back. Thanks!
Here is the response I received from the engineer. Looks like he needs more info from you:

"Is the customer asking about sustained runtime on high at 400 lumens? If yes, I will double check on the testing record and get back to you next week."

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the response I received from the engineer. Looks like he needs more info from you:

"Is the customer asking about sustained runtime on high at 400 lumens? If yes, I will double check on the testing record and get back to you next week."
I should have been more clear about that. My apologies.

I'm asking if there is a step down due to heat, or does it run cool enough to stay at 400 lumens?

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have been more clear about that. My apologies.

I'm asking if there is a step down due to heat, or does it run cool enough to stay at 400 lumens?
Here is the answer to the last part of your question:

Yes, there is the "Intelligent Overheat Protection" for the HM50R V2.0, as well as the "Low-voltage warning" function. Please see below for more details from the FAQ.

Why does the HM50R V2.0 downshift to a lower mode after being used for a while and the higher mode cannot be selected?

A:
There are two reasons:

1. Intelligent Overheat Protection
The lamp will accumulate a lot of heat when used at Turbo mode for extended periods. When the lamp reaches a temperature of 60°C or above, the lamp will automatically step down a few lumens to reduce the temperature. When the temperature drops below 60°C, it will then allow the user for the reselection of Turbo mode.
2. Low-voltage Warning

When the voltage level drops below the preset level, the headlamp is programmed to downshift to a lower brightness level until Low mode is reached. When this happens in Low mode, the battery level indicator blinks to remind you to timely recharge or replace the battery.