DOGS

fulee9999

Enlightened
Hopefully footballs aren't bad for dogs too
not to be a Debbie Downer but dogs eating anything besides what was designed to be eaten by them can cause twisted intestine in dogs which can be fatal ( like eating leather stuff, tennis balls, and the sort )

fulee9999

Enlightened
allright, then it's cool, a lot of dogs do eat what they chew on, and as mentioned above that could be an issue

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to be a Debbie Downer but dogs eating anything besides what was designed to be eaten by them can cause twisted intestine in dogs which can be fatal ( like eating leather stuff, tennis balls, and the sort )
My Terriers use to dismantle tennis balls. They'd first peel off the day glow yellow fuzzy cover, then proceed to the inner rubber delicacy. The rubber ball inside is under pressure, so I'd hear a Pop!!
After their dinner I'd find signs of day glow fuzz in their stool, lol
No moral to this story.. Puppies are a full time job and worth every minute!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
allright, then it's cool, a lot of dogs do eat what they chew on, and as mentioned above that could be an issue
The issue was getting the football sideways through the doggy door. I heard "thump, scratch, scratch.... thump, scratch, scratch" as he'd walk into the door then try to shove it through until "TADAH"...success. Half hour later chunks of the ends were laying all over the place.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
B48B8025-DDDC-465C-9349-DE43BB753490.jpeg

Tralfaz's sister Yuki (pronounced yoo-kee) in cow mode.
Actually she was hunting a cricket.
She's learning to catch a frisbee.

Tralfaz survived the raisins without incident.
2B0F587F-4012-43B6-8EF3-71161E018704.jpeg

2 o'clock nap time. Looks really uncomfy.
He walks in the door "wham!" collapses onto the floor, lets out a sigh and was out for a bit. Doorbell rings on tv and he springs to his feet ready for action....

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! Tactical doggo! Fantastic concept!

Dogs, like cats, are BORN 'tactical'. They don't need any gear! (although some protective / harness gear, etc. is in order).

The canines are the easier of the two to work with in the field, of course:)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've got a girlfriend that is extremely loyal. But "like a dog" is a tricky phrase. If I say she's like a dog, she will get pissed. If I don't say she's like a dog my wife will get pissed.
If the girlfriend is more loyal, get rid of the wife before she gets rid of you.... I know a secluded cabin in the woods, and a place where you can buy a wood-chipper. 😉

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many of you know, dogs listen to us, sense our emotions. Well, too many times one or more of our dogs has been sprayed by a skunk. Our household is no stranger to the various substances sold to de-skunk the smell. Our canines know our lack of enthusiasm regarding skunks is palpable, and that more than once I have told my son (in front of the dogs) that I may ask him to tail a skunk we encounter so I can retrieve some means to dispatch the possible source of rabies. They can be taken anytime in the state where we live.

Three times now, one or two of our dogs have taken it upon themselves to do the take. One dog carries it back home, and one time buried it on our property.

Because they bring back various animal parts from mountain lion takes (some possibly coyotes), I used a hardware cloth tray suspended in a tree to keep our dogs from bickering about it. Also germs. I have an image of the 3 skunks on top of other products of the forest but will not post it here. For a well known CPF member insisting on proof, I can get a Google Photos link for it. We try to be respectful about this.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me also add that I believe that our wonderful ringtail population competes to a certain degree with skunk regarding food sources. We also have raccoon, which is a protected furbearer in New Mexico, requiring a license and a season.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many of you know, dogs listen to us, sense our emotions. Well, too many times one or more of our dogs has been sprayed by a skunk. Our household is no stranger to the various substances sold to de-skunk the smell. Our canines know our lack of enthusiasm regarding skunks is palpable, and that more than once I have told my son (in front of the dogs) that I may ask him to tail a skunk we encounter so I can retrieve some means to dispatch the possible source of rabies. They can be taken anytime in the state where we live.

Three times now, one or two of our dogs have taken it upon themselves to do the take. One dog carries it back home, and one time buried it on our property.

Because they bring back various animal parts from mountain lion takes (some possibly coyotes), I used a hardware cloth tray suspended in a tree to keep our dogs from bickering about it. Also germs. I have an image of the 3 skunks on top of other products of the forest but will not post it here. For a well known CPF member insisting on proof, I can get a Google Photos link for it. We try to be respectful about this.

Dead skunks hanging in tree swinging in a bag..

Good gosh, now there's an image I don't need to see for proof.

Kitro, how about digging a hole and bury the rotten carcass, too easy?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully, another option for smelly carcass disposal is a burn pit. Although, in NM that might not be permitted, even during winter months.

I'm totally lost with your statement "3 skunks on top of other products of the forest" what in the heck does that mean?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
View attachment 32214
Tralfaz's sister Yuki (pronounced yoo-kee) in cow mode.
Actually she was hunting a cricket.
She's learning to catch a frisbee.

Tralfaz survived the raisins without incident.
View attachment 32216
2 o'clock nap time. Looks really uncomfy.
He walks in the door "wham!" collapses onto the floor, lets out a sigh and was out for a bit. Doorbell rings on tv and he springs to his feet ready for action....
She's ADORABLE!!!!!!!!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully, another option for smelly carcass disposal is a burn pit. Although, in NM that might not be permitted, even during winter months.

I'm totally lost with your statement "3 skunks on top of other products of the forest" what in the heck does that mean?
Our soil is not deep. Dogs would smell it and dig it up. Hardware cloth is metal screen with larger openings. I used our small dog to find where Hersha had buried the second skunk.

Products of the forest:
Couple cow bones from a roving steer found fairly high in elevation. Parts of fox, feral cat, raccoon, years ago skunk taken by mountain lion, coyote, young deer but by far mostly deer legs the dogs have brought back.

Lower elevation than us we hear coyotes but not so much where we are and higher. I do not think any of this was done by bears but it is possible. Badgers are very rare and usually lower elevation. One badger got ended by a motor vehicle last summer. So sad.

Guessing our world is quite different than many of you. I believe Hersha is getting better at avoiding being sprayed.