Nightwalks with flashlight, stupid aggressive dogs (with owners). Advice?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My key point is hurting a dog that hasn't actually bitten you isn't called for.

Well personally, if a large off-leash dog (owner or not) runs aggressively at me or my wife and lunges; he's going to hear and/or feel my stun gun. I'm not waiting to be bitten to defend myself.

People have been attacked by raccoons too but I am not terrified of pet dogs nor wild raccoons. As a teenager I worked as a veterinary assistant and I was bitten a few times but I'm not afraid of pet dogs with owners biting me. Now a snarling feral dog in an entirely different matter.

A cattle prod for the owner would be more understandable than hurting the poor dog...and then of course a prison term.

You didn't answer my question, Sport.

~ Chance

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
You didn't answer my question, Sport.

~ Chance

I eat dog of all sorts, and usually smell of mastiff/akita/saint bernard/wolfdog musk. Every dog cowers to my hand.

Nah, who am I kidding...I stand my ground, lower gravity to ready stance, and bare my teeth while flicking my tongue out....and slip in a bit of death stare and killing intent and a dog will pause for a moment before deciding what to do

I eat dog of all sorts
, and usually smell of mastiff/akita/saint bernard/wolfdog musk. Every dog cowers to my hand.

Nah, who am I kidding...I stand my ground, lower gravity to ready stance, and bare my teeth while flicking my tongue out....and slip in a bit of death stare and killing intent and a dog will pause for a moment before deciding what to do

Ha! At first I thought you were the president .......... Then I read the next couple of lines. :D

~ Chance

Perhaps a cattle prod might be of use, first for the charging, aggressive dog, then for its negligent "master". You could give Fido an audio/visual warning display of what your magic stick can do, if Fido persists with his aggressive behavior, light em up!

You shouldn't have to stand still just waiting to see what happens.

~ Chance

Waps and Bee killer, which I'm assuming is legal where op lives, works well also.

Wasp and hornet spray works better and has greater range.

First! :lolsign:

~ C.G.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Wasp and hornet killer is also a good item to keep on top of the fridge for those uncomfortable with having a firearm in the house. It works great on unwelcome evil doers. :aaa:

~ Chance

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, good thinking I'm guessing, considering.
From what I've understood, and could be wrong.
The killing is done by blocking inability to breathe, a heavy surfactant almost, coating membranes, and blocking oxygen absorption?
Idk, I'm curious if it's similar?
I know dish soap sprayed in a mist has this type of result.

MrJino

Enlightened
I'd carry a heavy dense wood walking stick. Doesn't even have to be big if it's made of oak or something similar.
I've seen my dad wack some dogs on his job (house painter), just a quick tap on the nose will do.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
The sign below is just "priceless".... ""If it starts to eat you fight back." :fail: Good chance if he starts eating you it might bee to late. :eek:oo:

Not about dogs, but this just reminds me of a sign I recently saw. I thought it was a joke but it's not! "...if it starts to eat you..." :huh:

bearsign.jpg

I have, but it was my 100% my fault. I was at the neighbors house when I was a kid and didn't know there was a dog in the house. When he saw me, he probably came to play or thought I was an intruder. I ran up the stairs and he got me in the leg-outside thigh pretty good.

As far as the out of control dogs go, to me that would depend on the dog in the particular situation. [Little ankle biter or BIG dog??] My main concern would be to not get bit or semi mauled, that would be by whatever means it took... bar none. I have nothing against dogs either, I'm just into self preservation. ;) Sooo, I kinda side with what 'moldyoldy' wrote below.
once a long time ago in Northern Idaho in the Big Timber country near the Bitterroot Divide when I worked for the USFS a couple summers and falls. For any duty that meant working away from the ranger station, we often carried handguns, typically .357 level or above. a .22 rifle was back at camp for small game/grouse. Wild dogs, or worse, dog packs, were considered a serious menace to wildlife and people. Our standing orders were to shoot any dog if we could not see it's owner. Meaning the owner did not have control of the dog. No exceptions. We did not have to be threatened directly. There were a few cases where the USFS employee did shoot a dog running loose - no warning shots - and was taken to court by the dog owner. The judge threw out the case(s). Justice is swift in the back country.