DOME by Geotorch: AAA Flood Flashlight and Project Updates

geotorch

Newly Enlightened
Any chance of a 2 mode version?

I feel like Gandalf when he said "Don't tempt me, Frodo".

Seriously though, I'd love to but I'm too far along to change much at this point. However, if there's enough demand for a version 2.0 with two modes or any other features I could definitely see that happening in the future.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
**UPDATE 1-23-2015**

Hey guys, check out the finish on this stainless steel head. I like it, but I want to know what you guys think.

yfVIWfw.jpg

I love it. I prefer the bead blasted finish to a smooth surface. It will look better with the black anodized body, too.

nbp

Flashaholic
Generally I go for a machined finish, but I think that looks very nice. :greatjob:

I found that a BB finish with a light polish holds up reeeeally well, such as on the Mako. Shows no marks. If that is something you're interested in.

geotorch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm thinking of offering a few different finishing options in addition to the one I just posted, so a finish similar to the mako is a definite possibility. Polished, brushed, and as machined are on the table too.

geotorch

Newly Enlightened
Generally I go for a machined finish, but I think that looks very nice. :greatjob:

I found that a BB finish with a light polish holds up reeeeally well, such as on the Mako. Shows no marks. If that is something you're interested in.

Thanks for the advice, in the end I decided this finish just didn't hold up very well. It looked pretty cool initially, but quickly showed all kinds of dirt, fingerprints, and scratches. Check out the initial post for more details.

Robert

geotorch

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, I just loaded some shots of my final designs for this project on the first post. Again, if you're interested in this project and want to know when I launch on kickstarter then either post here or join the mailing list on my website.

Thanks!

Robert

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those final design shots are looking good, Robert! Standing by for your KickStarter launch... :)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Nice to see a new player.

My biggest concern here is the protruding lens. Not because of damage, but purely due to glare. If any part of the protruding lens is illuminated such that it can be seen by the user holding it beyond the 180 degree arc in front of the emitter, then it will become a bright spot that will blind you to what is beyond the lens.

There are quite a few small lights that do this (Photons, TUBEs etc) and these all require the user to place their thumb as a light shield to prevent glare. Purposefully designing a light with a protruding lens as a feature (rather than being due to using a 5mm LED) seems wrong to me. Photon actually fixed this with their 'covert' version of the Freedom micro.

My take on this is that apart from a lantern, there is no excuse for a light to cast any of its beam behind the front of the bezel towards the user.

Not sure about the original timing of the project, but the FOURSEVENS Atom A0 (previously Preon P0) is the answer to if there is a market for a full flood AAA light.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is copper the same price? Or is it just copper colored aluminum?

geotorch

Newly Enlightened
Is copper the same price? Or is it just copper colored aluminum?

The titanium and copper versions will be more, they are actual copper and titanium. I'm still working out the price on all of the versions, but I hope to at least keep the aluminum versions around $40.